Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Mike and Jon gone from WHMI

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Mike and Jon gone from WHMI

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:46 pm

https://thelivingstonpost.com/award-win ... -king-out/

Mike and Jon gone from WHMI mornings. This is news to me. I've heard nothing about this and just found out tonight from a Facebook post. I would really like to know just what went down!

I had no idea there were any problems. I heard them this week. Sudden.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Mike and Jon gone from WHMI

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:07 am

Sounds like an asshole advertiser is responsible for Jon's departure, and then Mike presumably quit in protest.

Fuck Krol Communications!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:46 am

That's not good, after they lost midday and afternoons just over a year ago.

https://thelivingstonpost.com/krol-pres ... -pandemic/

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:05 am

Interview with WLNS:

https://www.wlns.com/news/local-news/sa ... -20-years/

I would love to know the scummy advertiser(s) responsible for strong arming WHMI.

The only positive thing I'll say about Krol Communications is at least the morning team was given the opportunity to say "good bye".

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Only other time I’ve heard of an advertiser putting so much pressure on a radio station to fire someone was when Eric Zane was canned from the syndicated Free Beer and Hot Wings. The advertiser forgave Eric and admitted they over reacted but Zane didn’t come back as he was sold out

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 pm

Gotta hand it to Mike. To give up your radio job, mornings no less, in protest and support of a co-worker, well, that takes balls. Good for him.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mmarino

Post by Mmarino » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:38 pm

I’ve been asked hundreds of times over the past 24 hours why I left WHMI when and how I did. The decision was really not that hard to make. Jon King and I have been doing the show there for almost 20 years, I’d worked with Jon years before doing mornings at WTWR Tower 98 in Monroe. We’re friends. Did I leave just because of what the owner of WHMI was unjustly doing to a man who has proven time and time again to be a true pro, go after the story, go out of his way for his news team, local charity organizations and the community as a whole? Yes…and about half dozen other reasons. The owner cowered to an advertiser or two because they were uncomfortable with some stories that didn’t meet their conservative agenda or political alliance. In this day and age no matter what you report someone isn’t going to agree.
When advertisers start dictating news content, it becomes a very slippery slope.
I wonder how many advertisers once they learn this will pull their ads from what used to be a heritage morning show and spend their money elsewhere.
In the end, we decided to pull the plug without anyone knowing it was coming, we made it so we could thank and say goodbye to our listeners. We walked away on our terms with our heads held high…….Anyone looking for a morning show 😂

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:07 pm

Wow. After I just praised the station for its quality localness. What a sucky thing for management to do.
But high praise for Mike! Hopefully, you two will land in a much better place.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:23 pm

When Walmart has a price rollback on backbones , I'll let Krol Broadcasting know. When you let an advertiser control your business, it opens the floodgates for every advertiser. Poor decision. Is Z92.5 the Castle next? 103.9 The Fox in Flint?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:02 pm

Mmarino wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:38 pm
I’ve been asked hundreds of times over the past 24 hours why I left WHMI when and how I did. The decision was really not that hard to make. Jon King and I have been doing the show there for almost 20 years, I’d worked with Jon years before doing mornings at WTWR Tower 98 in Monroe. We’re friends. Did I leave just because of what the owner of WHMI was unjustly doing to a man who has proven time and time again to be a true pro, go after the story, go out of his way for his news team, local charity organizations and the community as a whole? Yes…and about half dozen other reasons. The owner cowered to an advertiser or two because they were uncomfortable with some stories that didn’t meet their conservative agenda or political alliance. In this day and age no matter what you report someone isn’t going to agree.
When advertisers start dictating news content, it becomes a very slippery slope.
I wonder how many advertisers once they learn this will pull their ads from what used to be a heritage morning show and spend their money elsewhere.
In the end, we decided to pull the plug without anyone knowing it was coming, we made it so we could thank and say goodbye to our listeners. We walked away on our terms with our heads held high…….Anyone looking for a morning show 😂
How bad is Krol taking it on the chin from Covid-19?

He WAY overpaid for WHMI.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:23 pm

Statement of Krol Communications: https://www.whmi.com/news/article/41200

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm

EdWalker wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:23 pm
Something about that statement completely stinks and completely suspicious. Seems as these 2 leaving, and their subsequent statements of why, have blown up on WHMI. Statement seems like it’s more of the station trying to cover their butts….

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:39 pm

Realist wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:24 pm
EdWalker wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:23 pm
Something about that statement completely stinks and completely suspicious. Seems as these 2 leaving, and their subsequent statements of why, have blown up on WHMI. Statement seems like it’s more of the station trying to cover their butts….
I worked for Krol in Lansing, many many years ago. I also worked with Jon King, in Detroit, quite a number of years after that. From my own experience, and without going into specifics, I would believe Krol. I don't even have to think about it.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:54 pm

This is turning into quite the soap opera.

WHMI is probably the last station where I would have ever predicted a controversy of this sort.

I don't doubt ownership had some concerns regarding news content. Whether those concerns were legitimate / reasonable is up for debate.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:07 pm

When an Owner gets this involved in content, good luck. They will never find a replacement that will equal the revenue this show created.

Radio only appeals to people 45 and older these days, and they like their habits. Format changes don't work very successfully anymore either does the change from a well-established personality. Changes like this cause people to move their habits to other media. How many people will seek out podcasts as a result of this change? They're never going to gain a younger audience and they only stand to lose the one they have.

Radio will never be successful in the future using tactics from the past. Blowing out talent flipping stations, name me one major change that has panned out in any market in The last 5 Years.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic