Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Speaking of stations that speed up the music...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Speaking of stations that speed up the music...

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:04 am

...93.9 in Windsor is the absolute worst!

Too many vocals sound akin to something from Alvin and the Chipmunks! Bass notes get squashed, too.

Who are the braindead corporate radio MORONS who think such processing actually sounds GOOD?

Willie108

Re: Speaking of stations that speed up the music...

Post by Willie108 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:49 am

This goes on at too many stations. I've heard some say it brightens up the music. Others have said if they speed up the music, they can cram in more spots.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:29 am

Now, 93.9 has reduced its loudness. Audio volume level is now too low. I think morons are setting the processing levels in Windsor.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:36 am

This isn’t new….. 95.5 was doing it for awhile but not sure if they still are or not.

It’s a way for them to get more music in less time. Is that even relevant to do now…. ? Not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:10 pm

Who care is the music sounds good? Speed it up so we can put more ads on the air.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:37 am

My station does the same. You don't pitch up music anymore, but time pinch. Never ever go over 3% (103 in Audition). With HD, it brings out the flaws of the changes. Ballads are most noticable on the bassline, while uptempo tunes tend to get hurt on the highs and midrange, like mp3's.

The purpose- Adding energy and excitement to music and imaging.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:37 am
If that's what the original artist wanted their music to sound like, that's how they would have recorded it in the first place.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 am
TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:37 am
If that's what the original artist wanted their music to sound like, that's how they would have recorded it in the first place.
Not necessarily. Look at processing and EQing. Look at remixes, no matter how you feel about them. Example: Higher Love by Whitney Houston and then the late Whitney Houston and Kygo. You also have to look at how the mind works. There is at least 1 psychology process at work here.

I might also add that artists sometimes don't own their own work or the rights, so... what happens after their track is laid down, they have no concern about. Example: Taylor Swift.

Speeding up music has been around at least since the 70's, that I remember.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:52 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 am
Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" was supposedly sped up, after it was recorded, by his American record company, United Artists. Rafferty was supposedly not happy about that, but US copies of the album and single still have the song at the faster speed. I only know of the first greatest hits of his, but the slower original speed version is found there. I never got his greatest hits for that reason, and instead have his two popular US albums, "City To City" and "Night Owl" for the versions I remember.

I hear both speeds on Sirius/XM. "The Bridge" plays "Baker Street" at the familiar US release speed, and "Yacht Rock" plays the greatest hits version which is slightly slower, with the vocal somewhat remixed, almost like it was double-tracked.

I hear radio stations speeding up the music from time to time, and it's usually fairly obvious. I heard "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart yesterday that was so noticeable that it almost sounded like a cover version by someone else.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:33 am

Musicrewired wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:52 am
TeddyBear wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 am
Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" was supposedly sped up, after it was recorded, by his American record company, United Artists. Rafferty was supposedly not happy about that, but US copies of the album and single still have the song at the faster speed. I only know of the first greatest hits of his, but the slower original speed version is found there. I never got his greatest hits for that reason, and instead have his two popular US albums, "City To City" and "Night Owl" for the versions I remember.

I hear both speeds on Sirius/XM. "The Bridge" plays "Baker Street" at the familiar US release speed, and "Yacht Rock" plays the greatest hits version which is slightly slower, with the vocal somewhat remixed, almost like it was double-tracked.

I hear radio stations speeding up the music from time to time, and it's usually fairly obvious. I heard "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart yesterday that was so noticeable that it almost sounded like a cover version by someone else.
Your talking about pitch, which was used for ages. I'm talking about music pinching, based on frequencies and phase of the song being pinched. Doing things as "time crunching," one does not change the pitch, just the tempo. If the wrong frequency is used to pinch, you will hear warble, similar to a cassette tape or mp3 crunch.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:58 am

I was referring to music being sped up by adjusting the pitch. That's the most common way to achieve a brighter sound and move things faster.

I haven't encountered time stretching, which is adjusting the audio to fit a specific time period (and maintaining the original pitch of the audio) to the same degree. Time stretching works in both directions, either to speed up or slow down the audio. I've used it in audio production to add content to an existing time slot, specifically a commercial.

I don't know that radio stations use that a lot, but I should listen more closely to the corporate entities that own the majority of the stations to try and spot the stretch. I "catch the pitch" effect most often.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:26 pm

If time pinch is done correctly, satellite fed stations can sound very local, as they can fit imaging to the blank/dark slots for imaging. Sweepers and even jingles could be utilized, instead of dry liners and drops. A CHR in Zanesville, Ohio does this exact thing.

I'm not at all crazy on pitching up or down. I recently heard Regina's "Baby Love" pitched up. She sounded like the Chipmunk's long lost sister.

Another note to add- Enco DAD fills stopsets using time pinching, speaking of Detroit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic