Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Broadway departs the New Country 93.1 dumpster fire

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Broadway departs the New Country 93.1 dumpster fire

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:48 am

Although very diplomatic in his remarks, I sense he lacks confidence in the station's long term outlook (who can blame him?).

Notice the very high praise he gave Lance Tidwell (who Brian Phillips perhaps treated unfairly) versus the brief well wishes he gave to David Corey:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2184 ... n-detroit/

I suspect the Westwood One morning show from Atlanta will eventually be plugged into mornings, and David Corey will have to handle afternoons once again.

No word yet on whether Broadway will continue to voicetrack for 105.3 Hot FM in Grand Rapids.

Steve79

Re: Broadway departs the New Country 93.1 dumpster fire

Post by Steve79 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm

Any chance of a format change coming soon?

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Good for him on getting out now.

DRQ is done as a country brand.

They'll be WJR-FM by Labor Day at the very latest. I suspect sooner. Book it.

The only compelling question is does the other dumpster fire at 98.7 become WWJ-FM first or do we get WJR-FM first?

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:04 pm

why would they do that? the station gets dismal rating as it is.

I would think low rated country would bill more than Mark Levin spouting his nightly crap

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:17 pm

I got to agree, it may come sooner than labor day. I got this feeling that after the next major radio ratings book , 93.1 will be WJR NEWSRADIO FM before 98.7 goes WWJ NEWSRADIO FM

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:46 pm

drew10219 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:04 pm
why would they do that? the station gets dismal rating as it is.

I would think low rated country would bill more than Mark Levin spouting his nightly crap
Your political views are what they are but they're irrelevant to the discussion of the business of radio.
Why flip a 1.6 share station to a simulcast?

Money.

Ratings are more or less meaningless in WJR's case. They bill millions. Not sure who bills more, WJR or WWJ. Maybe MW would have that stat.

Their local-direct advertisers buy on emotion. They've listened to Paul W. ect. for 100 years.

DRQ bills dick.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:19 pm

Whatever it may be flipped to, the fact stands that, for eight years, this station has been an also-ran and a never-was in this market. They have had delusions of adequacy. I'm certain having 3,508,719,280,182,490 other country music options has hurt as well, but management never gave them what they needed to succeed.

There have been a few of us other radio dorks that have kicked around the idea of bringing back the DRQ branding and either going full rhythmic AC or something like that. It HAS to do better than what has been happening ratings and billing wise with the country format...right?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Rich S

Post by Rich S » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:58 pm

WXYT was wise to beat WDFN first to the FM dial. Not saying the same situation, however, could be a first mover edge to whoever flips first (98.7, 93.1.). Wonder if WJR could opt for a full on News FM and keep AM with the Talk format? It is sad to see the ultimate demise of FM. Religious and talk formats will someday over take the FM band just like what happened to AM.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm

Your political views are what they are but they're irrelevant to the discussion of the business of radio.
Why flip a 1.6 share station to a simulcast?

Money.

Ratings are more or less meaningless in WJR's case. They bill millions. Not sure who bills more, WJR or WWJ. Maybe MW would have that stat.

Their local-direct advertisers buy on emotion. They've listened to Paul W. ect. for 100 years.
I would think it would be more along the lines of saving money by not having to run 2 separate stations
I don't see how a simulcast will bring them more then they are already billing?
and is political talk on FM a thing? I would be curious where else it is successful.

windsorjoe

Post by windsorjoe » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:34 pm

Rich S wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:58 pm
WXYT was wise to beat WDFN first to the FM dial. Not saying the same situation, however, could be a first mover edge to whoever flips first (98.7, 93.1.). Wonder if WJR could opt for a full on News FM and keep AM with the Talk format? It is sad to see the ultimate demise of FM. Religious and talk formats will someday over take the FM band just like what happened to AM.
Gregg Henson wrote years ago that when he was PD at WDFN, his plan was to move it to 106.7. The plan was never approved, the Ticket went to FM and won the arms race. The rest is history.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:07 am

and is political talk on FM a thing? I would be curious where else it is successful.
It is not common in large & major cities, but it does exist in several noteworthy instances:
- 95.5 FM in Atlanta
- 99.5 FM in Birmingham, AL
- 105.9 FM in Washington, D.C. (Cumulus owned)
- 95.7 FM in Dayton, OH
- 97.1 FM in St. Louis
- 99.7 FM in Nashville
- 101.1 FM in Portland, OR

News/talk formats with conservative opinion hosts on FM are much more common in small & unrated markets.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:07 am
It is not common in large & major cities, but it does exist in several noteworthy instances:
- 95.5 FM in Atlanta
- 99.5 FM in Birmingham, AL
- 105.9 FM in Washington, D.C. (Cumulus owned)
- 95.7 FM in Dayton, OH
- 97.1 FM in St. Louis
- 99.7 FM in Nashville
- 101.1 FM in Portland, OR

News/talk formats with conservative opinion hosts on FM are much more common in small & unrated markets.
New Orleans also has two FM news talkers that do well; WWL and WRNO. WRNO is the more conservative talker.

I'd love WJR-FM to go the route of WGN and be a more mainstream N/T station.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:11 am

Interestingly enough, WJR has depoliticized late mornings recently, and of course it dumped Savage for Guy Gordon for the 3p to 5p slot ages ago.

Will be interesting to see if the station eventually demotes Bongino to evenings on tape.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic