Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Warner and CBS possibly selling the CW

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Warner and CBS possibly selling the CW

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 am

https://gamerant.com/warnermedia-viacom ... -sale/amp/

Just found this out. If this happens, what does this mean for CBS 62 and CW50? Will this mean that they will no longer be sister stations? If this is true, than it would be H***. With CBS62 starting a news department this year, I think it’s safe to say CW 50 might be without news, yet again.

I can see CBS62 moving back to Detroit, with CBS fulfilling its long dream of having a state of the art studio, which was the plan 27 years ago.

What do you guys think? Not sure what do think about this.

Deleted User 15062

Re: Warner and CBS possibly selling the CW

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:39 am

I'm not sure that the 2 will split, as the "62" station was a failing station (as WGPR-TV), when purchased and the both would still be owned by Viacom/CBS.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:56 pm

CW50 will remain The CW even if ViacomCBS sells to Nexstar which I believe ViacomCBS will still have a stake in the network just my opinion. Nexstar doesn't own The CW in West Michigan Sinclair owns The CW on WWMT .2 since its debut in the fall of 06 when Freedom owned WWMT, maybe The CW will move to WXSP which is a low power TV station that was UPN from 99-06 and became a TV service MyNet TV when Lin TV owned it which Nexstar owns.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:27 am

You raise a great point; a sale of the CW to Nexstar could indeed prompt affiliation changes across the state in markets where Nexstar owns stations. All depends on how the existing affiliation agreements are written.

Bear in mind, though, that the WXSP brand is now primarily distributed through WOOD-TV's tower on physical channel 7.6 (using the ATSC 1.0 standard). What was originally the network of Class A digital transmitters comprising WXSP now distributes WWMT, WOOD-TV, WXMI, WXSP itself and WOTV using ATSC 3.0.

The CW does not own WKBD; Viacom does. Viacom is simply a joint venture partner in the CW network. It seems very unlikely to me that the Viacom-owned CW affiliates would be included in a sale of the CW network itself. It is very likely to me that WKBD will remain in Viacom's hands.

Moreover, I doubt Viacom wants to lose the CW affiliation (otherwise, it would have to purchase or produce its own programming for prime time), and conversely, any buyer of the network would likely want some assurance that major market OTA affiliations would remain in place for some time. As such, I am hard pressed to see the CW leaving WKBD any time soon.
With CBS62 starting a news department this year, I think it’s safe to say CW 50 might be without news, yet again.
I disagree with your opinions and conjectures fairly often, and this time is no exception. I do not at all think it is "safe" to say that for the reasons cited above.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:24 pm

The sale is definitely not going to include WKBD. Nexstar is already at the limit of stations they can own. Unless they divest some of their current stations.

Maybe they'll add Nexstar's Rewind TV to a subchannel.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

GREATLAKESVET

Post by GREATLAKESVET » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:23 pm

OMG! Sell it on ANYONE but Deathstar, SINclair or Faux.

Great Lakes Vet

billmich88888

Post by billmich88888 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:51 pm

GREATLAKESVET wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:23 pm
OMG! Sell it on ANYONE but Deathstar, SINclair or Faux.
found the guy that makes everything political.............

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:12 pm

Here is what COULD happen:
Nexstar gets what it ask for ,which is Majority stake in CW, that PROBABLY means ,lets say 60%
ViacomCBS and Discovery/Warner get 20% each in a Minority stake
programming remains the same ,if only with some changes in daytime due to ratings or shows ending production [Maury ,steve wilkos..quite possibly Nick Cannon & Wendy Williams ]

javafan0101

Post by javafan0101 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:31 pm

Comcast/NBC in talks to buy ViacomCBS.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/18/10-anon ... vents.html

Fuck Putin.

mvcg66b3r

Post by mvcg66b3r » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm

javafan0101 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:31 pm
Comcast/NBC in talks to buy ViacomCBS.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/18/10-anon ... vents.html
Not gonna happen. There's a ban on one company owning two TV networks.

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:00 pm

agreed, unless ViacomCBS were to split up [again!] I don't look for that to happen either ..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic