Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Noticeable playlist additions at Alt 98.7

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
radioandtventhusiast

Re: Noticeable playlist additions at Alt 98.7

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:07 pm
Chop Suey by System of a Down is currently playing. I'm impressed.

I'd still like to hear Big Wreck, Billy Talent, Tragically Hip and other CanCon (NO NICKELBACK) that is familiar to Detroit audiences; 98.7 continues to whiff badly on that angle.
That would be interesting. Kind of similar to the former 89x and CKUE.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

Have also heard some Alice in Chains tracks in recent days. Long overdue addition. Was also nice to hear "Alive" by Pearl Jam. (How about Animal or Once? Two great tracks that corporate radio all too often overlooks.)

I'd still like to hear Big Wreck, Billy Talent, Tragically Hip and other CanCon (NO NICKELBACK) that is familiar to Detroit audiences; 98.7 continues to whiff badly on that angle.

Wish they would play Maneskin and Glass Animals much less often. The vocalist of the first band isn't as talented as he thinks; the single from the latter band just flat out sucks.
I have to believe Our Lady Peace would be right in the sweet spot. They play a couple Sum 41 tracks (89x was beating The Hell Song into the ground for a long time) but Fat Lip was a pretty big national hit.

I also think that breaking the occasional Canadian artist would mean a lot to us who spent years listening to 89x.

Also...can they change the name? The ALT positioner is like poison.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:35 pm

I am the very last person to say I'd give 98.7 the time of day after axing the breeze, however I decided to give it a whirl.... I was VERY impressed at the playlist during the morning hours. Lots of 90's early 2000's stuff that I liked..... There are a few songs that I absolutely detest that are played WAY too often that had me flipping the channel. The one song that makes my skin crawl is Måneskin - Beggin'..... Good Lord. That being said I detest 98.7 a little less.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:00 pm

I hate that song, too!

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 pm

Just listened to that song. His voice sounds like a more raw version of the lead from Live. I don't hate it but don't love it either.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:56 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

Have also heard some Alice in Chains tracks in recent days. Long overdue addition. Was also nice to hear "Alive" by Pearl Jam. (How about Animal or Once? Two great tracks that corporate radio all too often overlooks.)

Wish they would play Maneskin and Glass Animals much less often. The vocalist of the first band isn't as talented as he thinks; the single from the latter band just flat out sucks.
I have to believe Our Lady Peace would be right in the sweet spot. They play a couple Sum 41 tracks (89x was beating The Hell Song into the ground for a long time) but Fat Lip was a pretty big national hit.

I also think that breaking the occasional Canadian artist would mean a lot to us who spent years listening to 89x.

Also...can they change the name? The ALT positioner is like poison.
Yes, and 93.9. I like a lot of Canadian artists I wouldn't have known otherwise. Does anyone like that "Rain Delays" song? Kind of a one hit wonder.

Edit: Found it! https://youtu.be/V0ZqUs--PKc

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:23 am

Crash Parallel was a great band that 93.9 exposed me to. Shame their stuff isn’t on Spotify on this side of the river…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 pm

Currently playing Taking Me Back, the new Jack White song. This is what I'm talking about! Good shit!

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:53 pm

...and just played Steady As She Goes. Raconteurs.

Maybe massage that playlist and artist separation lol

-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:40 pm

Two of Jack White in a row is fine by me. Taking Me Back kicks ass btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 pm

That is the only solo single of his that I like, and I do happen to like it quite a bit!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:34 pm

It's a Goddamn GREAT song and I'm happy they are playing it.

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:06 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:33 pm
That is the only solo single of his that I like, and I do happen to like it quite a bit!
I am the opposite. I really like Jack White but not that song.

Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:50 am

Has 98.7's playlist improved versus six months ago? YES.
Has the audio processing improved? YES. (This seems to be a very recent event.)

However, there are still plenty of issues with the station. The lack of ANY local on-air voices is a big issue. The lack of meaningful contests or street presence is another issue. There are songs being played that should not be receiving airtime in this market. There are also songs & artists that *should* be played that are missing.

The unbearable afternoon drive show is a really big issue.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:50 am
Has 98.7's playlist improved versus six months ago? YES.
Has the audio processing improved? YES. (This seems to be a very recent event.)

However, there are still plenty of issues with the station. The lack of ANY local on-air voices is a big issue. The lack of meaningful contests or street presence is another issue. There are songs being played that should not be receiving airtime in this market. There are also songs & artists that *should* be played that are missing.

The unbearable afternoon drive show is a really big issue.
The folks in Dallas Fort Worth had a pretty good movement going and managed to get a popular long time local jock back on the air there and they got rid of LazBlow. It was quite a large social media movement and I was all too happy to help, even though I don't live there.

I don't think enough people care around here because our local new rock alternative station ceased to matter 10 years ago. So we don't really have any former jocks that would make a difference. Though a person in studio and taking calls and an "all request lunch" would help.

I won't deny the playlist updating. Great work there. They obviously have to play some newer charting alternative tracks, but Bullet With Butterfly Wings and December were two songs WLLZ was playing in their twilight in late 1995, so it's cool to see those songs on that frequency again. I always wondered what direction Wheels would have gone in had they lasted.

The lack of promotion is hurting, too. Jesus, put up a billboard or something! I still say a name change would help, also. Give the X back or something.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic