Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2022 Predictions

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
BKRPDM

2022 Predictions

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:15 pm

I’m eager to hear Mark’s (and others’) predictions for radio and TV this coming year.

I’m hoping that Audacy changes format at 98.7.

Deleted User 15716

Re: 2022 Predictions

Post by Deleted User 15716 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:45 pm

BKRPDM wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:15 pm
I’m hoping that Audacy changes format at 98.7.
I never listened to that station. After seeing y'all talking about it, decided to tune in. Heard about 10 minutes of a few people talking back and forth before I had to get out. Fine, it's talk radio. Get back in the car, it's 4 or 5 songs in a row that I've never heard before.

What is their format now? Talk or music? Mix? Spin the wheel on what to do next?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:49 pm

It's hard to come up with anything, given what's happening with the ecomomy and covid, if anything I would imagine more cutbacks.

But if I wanna throw something in the ring, I would be looking at:

93.1 - Still a ratings loser, can't get any traction, Cumulus isn't in good shape and the Nash brand has been taking hits nationwide.

98.7 - Might limp along until June or July, MAYBE Labor Day. They're just not getting the memo. I wouldn't put all my eggs in a WWJ-FM simulcast, I would bet for another music format. Probably not another "Breeze"; workplaces have changed.

107.5 - I would take Gregorian death chants already. Any word on what station was purchased?

A wild card of 97.1. Maybe a couple of new hires as sports start gaining more steam? They used to be live and local quite a bit before the pandemic. Could that return?

The AM band will continue to be computers in closets, static filled, WJR will continue its descent. The only other choice is WWJ to move to FM.

We definitely need more 80s and more religious stations. Hopefully SOMEONE will come along and offer us more of them.

I was never a TV buff, so I'll leave that to those who are.

Given the state of radio and the economy, don't expect much.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:03 pm

My predictions:

Alt 98.7 goes the way of the dodo. To WWJ-FM or back to Soft AC or Variety Hits, I don’t know. Regardless, 2022 will be shown on Alt’s coffin.

Cumulus keeps 93.1 as Country. They just seem to like Country too much to let this go.

While we can speculate all day on 98.7, 93.1, 107.5, or any other also-rans, we know one thing that’s certain for Detroit radio in 2022: There will be more syndication and less reason for anyone to give a damn about local radio.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:41 am

98.7 WWJ-FM declares their independence from the AM band on July 4th.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:52 am

107.5 - I would take Gregorian death chants already. Any word on what station was purchased?
I'm a little confused by the above question. WGPR, Inc. has had the same ownership for decades. The station was under LMA to Urban One (formerly known as Radio One) until 18 to 24 months ago.

Once the LMA ended, after a six month transitional period, WGPR, Inc. (which is affiliated with some Masonic group in the city of Detroit) simply began to operate the station itself once again.

My predictions:
- Either 95.5 or 96.3 sees an air talent shakeup
- 93.1 remains Country and sees a bit of a ratings rebound
- 93.9 in Windsor will start to see some ratings success on the Canadian side of the border
- 99.1 / 93.5 The Roar fails to survive the entire year
- Beasley will either unload or LMA-out its "Praise Network" translators
- Newsradio 950 WWJ will indeed gain an FM simulcast. May or may not be 98.7 FM, although that is certainly the most likely outcome. Could be 107.5 FM.
- A major personality will depart WOMC
- A major personality will depart WLLZ, which will see its ratings sag
- 105.1 The Bounce will see another PD depart.
- Keenan Smith will leave WXYZ
- Fox 2's News Director will be fired amid ho-hum ratings
- Channel 4 will remain the clear leader in local news ratings
- No top-tier news talent from the existing stations in the market will show up on channel 62. It is possible a few recognizable faces will show up there, but no one that a station should be built around.
- Once its full time news operation launches, channel 62 will be marred by a lack of investigative reporting resources and a a half-assed weather department.

lush.rimbaugh

Post by lush.rimbaugh » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:20 am

My predictions.

1. Because radio lacks imagination, and because we love a comeback, we see two returns:
- The return of V98.7 Smooth Jazz/AC, early in the new year.
- The return of 93.1 DRQ, with a Rhythmic CHR format, in the Memorial Day or 4th of July weekend.

2. We see a new local marketing agreement for 107.5, this time with Univision for their 'Latino Mix' latin Top 40 format (using mostly syndicated hosts).

3. WJR continues to tank in the ratings. Things improve when they go harder to the right with conspiracy-theory and Trumpist hosts.

4. WWJ does not make the jump to FM.
Last edited by lush.rimbaugh on Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:37 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:52 am
I'm a little confused by the above question. WGPR, Inc. has had the same ownership for decades. The station was under LMA to Urban One (formerly known as Radio One) until 18 to 24 months ago.

Once the LMA ended, after a six month transitional period, WGPR, Inc. (which is affiliated with some Masonic group in the city of Detroit) simply began to operate the station itself once again.

My predictions:

Isn't 95.5 Vt'd after 10am?

Who do you see leaving 96.3? Just curious.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:40 am

Republican candidates and PACs will make it rain cash for all of the media outlets as they try and get rid of Governor Whitmer in this year's election. The newly draw congressional districts will also make competitive races that will bring home the bacon for our local TV and Radio stations. No Senate races this year though and we'll miss the Koch's Kash trying to put John James in the Senate.

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:40 pm

Audacity brings in Mike Halloran to program Alt 98.7, bringing in Kelly Brown for mornings Cristina for mid days and Time Warp, himself for PM Drive, a local 20 something rookie that is passionate about the music in evenings and weekends. (ok I admit, a wish not a prediction)

Fred

Post by Fred » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

- No top-tier news talent from the existing stations in the market will show up on channel 62. It is possible a few recognizable faces will show up there, but no one that a station should be built around.
- Once its full time news operation launches, channel 62 will be marred by a lack of investigative reporting resources and a a half-assed weather department.
Yet still, 62 will beat Fox2 and WXYZ in ratings. :rollin :rollin

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

My predictions:
- 93.1 remains Country and sees a bit of a ratings rebound
- 93.9 in Windsor will start to see some ratings success on the Canadian side of the border
- 99.1 / 93.5 The Roar fails to survive the entire year
- Beasley will either unload or LMA-out its "Praise Network" translators
- Newsradio 950 WWJ will indeed gain an FM simulcast. May or may not be 98.7 FM, although that is certainly the most likely outcome. Could be 107.5 FM.
- A major personality will depart WOMC
- A major personality will depart WLLZ, which will see its ratings sag
- 105.1 The Bounce will see another PD depart.
- Keenan Smith will leave WXYZ
- Fox 2's News Director will be fired amid ho-hum ratings
- Channel 4 will remain the clear leader in local news ratings
Didn't some former WJLB personalities mention they had purchased a station? We never quite got to the bottom of what they bought or if it's just an LMA.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:51 pm

True. Reggie Reg and CoCo, if I remember correctly.

To answer an earlier question, as far as 95.5 and 96.3 are concerned, I have no one in particular in mind. I think we might see some turnover on one or both morning shows with no change in the star attraction. I could see Dave Fuller leaving 96.3 and the crappy Adam Bomb voice track show at night being replaced by something else.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:26 pm

[quoteDidn't some former WJLB personalities mention they had purchased a station? We never quite got to the bottom of what they bought or if it's just an LMA.][/quote]

I head that Charles Pugh may be a part of this as it was brought up by a report that he was getting out of jail this weekend
the report said that Reg was looking at a spring launch of whatever they have planned.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:35 pm

Charles fucking Pugh. I try to be a fair man, but there is just some shit I have a hard time letting go.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic