Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I'm jealous of DFW!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: I'm jealous of DFW!!!

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Other changes were made in Dallas as well. Maybe they're in it for the long haul there. Detroit is just a major market clearance apparently.

"AUDACY Alternative KVIL (ALT 103.7)/DALLAS pulls KLEIN & ALLY from AM Drive and THE CHURCH OF LAZLO from PM Drive as the station heads in a more music centric direction.

ALT 103.7 added both shows when AUDACY began using National Air Talent in SEPTEMBER 2020. No replacements have been named."

Now let's work on the music mix. Detroit doesn't do national. Detroit doesn't do syndicated. And Detroit doesn't do snowflake music. Apparently none of these companies remember what happened to Howard fucking Stern in this market. Local, local, local.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm

Here's a change that just happened today or yesterday at Fault 98.7:

No more "Two Minute Promise" !!!

Just heard a commercial break that was five minutes in length. Given all the nauseating promos surrounding the stupid Two Minute Promise, I'm glad it's gone.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Honestly, I’m glad for that. I’d rather deal with 5 minutes of commercials then a full set of music than “Two Minute Promise” after four songs.

Get rid of Lazlo and remove the TikTok songs and I’ll listen a lot more when I’m in the area.

Side note: I was listening to KROQ when I was in SoCal a few months ago. The playlist seemed quite gold-heavy and, therefore, was actually pretty good to listen to.

MichiganEx-Pat

Post by MichiganEx-Pat » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:58 pm
Other changes were made in Dallas as well. Maybe they're in it for the long haul there. Detroit is just a major market clearance apparently.

"AUDACY Alternative KVIL (ALT 103.7)/DALLAS pulls KLEIN & ALLY from AM Drive and THE CHURCH OF LAZLO from PM Drive as the station heads in a more music centric direction.

ALT 103.7 added both shows when AUDACY began using National Air Talent in SEPTEMBER 2020. No replacements have been named."

Now let's work on the music mix. Detroit doesn't do national. Detroit doesn't do syndicated. And Detroit doesn't do snowflake music. Apparently none of these companies remember what happened to Howard fucking Stern in this market. Local, local, local.
One Detroit-based radio show that I believe is nationally syndicated is Gerald McBride's Saturday night show on Mix 92.3. However, the broadcast is only heard in a handful of other small markets. Before I left, I think Mojo in the Morning on Channel 95.5 was also nationally syndicated (not sure if it still is).

That said, do note that Dallas (DFW) is not only the fastest growing media market in the nation, but when the 2021 Nielson ratings come out, it will likely surpass Philadelphia to become the 4th largest market in the country. Sponsors / advertisers love massive high growth markets, so Dallas (DFW) is a darling in the radio/tv industry right now. I can't speak for the other conglomerates, but I know Radio One recently launched the nationally syndicated Al B. Sure Quiet Storm program and it's broadcasted out of Dallas. They've also been investing heavily in expanding local on-air talent and programming on its 2 DFW stations.

Detroit, while still a large market, has the sitgma of being perceived by sponsors/advertisers as a shrinking market, as it has fallen in rank from the top 5 to barely even the top 15 today. So the dollars spent on talent and programming end up going to other (more lucrative) markets. In fact, I remember reading that Radio One recently sold their Urban AC station in Detroit.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 pm

MichiganEx-Pat wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:31 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:58 pm

One Detroit-based radio show that I believe is nationally syndicated is Gerald McBride's Saturday night show on Mix 92.3. However, the broadcast is only heard in a handful of other small markets. Before I left, I think Mojo in the Morning on Channel 95.5 was also nationally syndicated (not sure if it still is).

That said, do note that Dallas (DFW) is not only the fastest growing media market in the nation, but when the 2021 Nielson ratings come out, it will likely surpass Philadelphia to become the 4th largest market in the country. Sponsors / advertisers love massive high growth markets, so Dallas (DFW) is a darling in the radio/tv industry right now. I can't speak for the other conglomerates, but I know Radio One recently launched the nationally syndicated Al B. Sure Quiet Storm program and it's broadcasted out of Dallas. They've also been investing heavily in expanding local on-air talent and programming on its 2 DFW stations.

Detroit, while still a large market, has the sitgma of being perceived by sponsors/advertisers as a shrinking market, as it has fallen in rank from the top 5 to barely even the top 15 today. So the dollars spent on talent and programming end up going to other (more lucrative) markets. In fact, I remember reading that Radio One recently sold their Urban AC station in Detroit.
Mojo airs in markets like Grand Rapids and Toledo.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:44 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:30 pm
Honestly, I’m glad for that. I’d rather deal with 5 minutes of commercials then a full set of music than “Two Minute Promise” after four songs.

Get rid of Lazlo and remove the TikTok songs and I’ll listen a lot more when I’m in the area.

Side note: I was listening to KROQ when I was in SoCal a few months ago. The playlist seemed quite gold-heavy and, therefore, was actually pretty good to listen to.
Not to mention that they were shortening songs and cutting them off to go to said two minutes of commercials. Honestly, radio is a joke compared to 30 years ago. I remember 89X did lives from concerts which was always amazing.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 am

Is it just me, or is Fault going to the same number of commercial breaks as when they ran the Two Minute Promise, just longer? I was in Toledo for the holiday and I swear the station was constantly on a stop set. I think I went into Kroger and they were on commercial and came back to my car less than half an hour later and they were running ads and PSAs again. They returned to the music with (surprise) Machine Gun Kelly. Ugh.

It’s a shame 107.1 only sounds clear when I’m near my parents’ house in Sylvania.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic