Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Radio Ratings for September

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Detroit Radio Ratings for September

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:34 pm

To thatonedude: About 65 percent of WOMC's playlist consists of classic rock titles, so I'm not sure why you feel a rock leaning Adult Hits station would help maintain genre separation vis-a-vis WOMC.

Instead, an Audacy owned Variety Hits station would need to have a rhythm/pop lean with a focus on music from the 90s onward.

L.A. and Dallas are markets where both formats co-exist under the Audacy roof, but bear in mind those stations all were inherited from CBS. In the case of L.A., KCBS-FM was flipped from classic rock to Variety Hits in the early to mid 00s.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:33 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:To thatonedude: About 65 percent of WOMC's playlist consists of classic rock titles, so I'm not sure why you feel a rock leaning Adult Hits station would help maintain genre separation vis-a-vis WOMC.

Instead, an Audacy owned Variety Hits station would need to have a rhythm/pop lean with a focus on music from the 90s onward.

L.A. and Dallas are markets where both formats co-exist under the Audacy roof, but bear in mind those stations all were inherited from CBS. In the case of L.A., KCBS-FM was flipped from classic rock to Variety Hits in the early to mid 00s.
I swore 104.3 went more pop-leaning these last few years…haven’t listened in quite some time as you can tell, lol. Just listened and heard an over abundance of classic rock, so I see your point there.

I agree that a more rhythmic focus would work best if Audacy were to launch one here, but I don’t see it happening for quite some time unless 98.7 plummets to a 0.0. Seems they are content with mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:41 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:33 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:To thatonedude: About 65 percent of WOMC's playlist consists of classic rock titles, so I'm not sure why you feel a rock leaning Adult Hits station would help maintain genre separation vis-a-vis WOMC.

I swore 104.3 went more pop-leaning these last few years…haven’t listened in quite some time as you can tell, lol. Just listened and heard an over abundance of classic rock, so I see your point there.

I agree that a more rhythmic focus would work best if Audacy were to launch one here, but I don’t see it happening for quite some time unless 98.7 plummets to a 0.0. Seems they are content with mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Each group has one. Lunacy has 98.7. IFart has 106.7. Cume-U-Less has 93.1. Measley has 105.1. Don't really care about the property, it's just the fact that they OWN it that counts.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Out of that list, only 105.1 is worth a damn, but Beasley has left it to rot.

93.1, 98.7, and 106.7 are literally jokes. 106.7 could do some major damage if they let Podell take the PD reins. Casey has proven time and again he is a lousy programmer who does nothing more than plug the national playlist logs in.

98.7 and 93.1 sound like absolute shit; granted I can't stand modern country music, but 99.5's playlist is much better than the garbage aired on 93.1.

98.7 should have never flipped from the Breeze. It's hard to accept for those like me who (somewhat) like the music, but Detroit and newer alternative music do not mix. Even if the market accepted Alt with open arms, the sloppy sound of the station would still be a H*** detriment. Then again, I doubt most listeners care that much, so that enables Audacy, iHeart, et al. to not care either.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 am

Although 105.1's ratings have definitely faded a bit from peak levels, they remain good.

WLLZ is nothing special, but it's certainly not a trainwreck (playlist construction is much better than when Fake Wheels first debuted). Ratings aren't good, but they are not terrible, either.

93.1 & 98.7 belong in a group by themselves. Each station is a true standpoint in terms of incompetence. Both stations have shed massive AQH share over the past 12 to 24 months.

98.7 committed ratings suicide by flipping to a poorly executed Alternative format, a format that doesn't do well in this market in its pure form even when the fundamentals are executed halfway decently!

93.1, remarkably, has managed to achieve ratings inferiority by keeping the same format it has now featured for, what, seven years now? Chrissy or whatever the fuck or her name is abruptly left mornings, then Bru was lured away by an afternoon drive gig (albeit on a garbage station) in Los Angeles by Audacy. The listeners left with them!

A half-assed morning show, a sleepy syndicated night show, carpetbaggers in middays & afternoons, and pukey voiceover guy are what WDRQ now offers its audience.

But hey, maybe playing that drunken piece of shit, Morgan Wallen, every 90 minutes as WDRQ is now doing will bring back the ratings! :lol

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:07 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 am
Although 105.1's ratings have definitely faded a bit from peak levels, they remain good.

WLLZ is nothing special, but it's certainly not a trainwreck (playlist construction is much better than when Fake Wheels first debuted). Ratings aren't good, but they are not terrible, either.

93.1 & 98.7 belong in a group by themselves. Each station is a true standpoint in terms of incompetence. Both stations have shed massive AQH share over the past 12 to 24 months.

98.7 committed ratings suicide by flipping to a poorly executed Alternative format, a format that doesn't do well in this market in its pure form even when the fundamentals are executed halfway decently!

93.1, remarkably, has managed to achieve ratings inferiority by keeping the same format it has now featured for, what, seven years now? Chrissy or whatever the fuck or her name is abruptly left mornings, then Bru was lured away by an afternoon drive gig (albeit on a garbage station) in Los Angeles by Audacy. The listeners left with them!

A half-assed morning show, a sleepy syndicated night show, carpetbaggers in middays & afternoons, and pukey voiceover guy are what WDRQ now offers its audience.

But hey, maybe playing that drunken piece of shit, Morgan Wallen, every 90 minutes as WDRQ is now doing will bring back the ratings! :lol
They're now playing Wallen's music reguarly again? K100 has played his music again for a few months now, but not very frequently.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:10 pm

They are playing his material very frequently. You can view all Cumulus FM station music logs at TuneGenie.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Anyone think there's a possibility either 93.1 or 98.7 will flip to soft AC? 98.7 had decent ratings amongst a stale playlist all while still calling it "the new" 98.7 the breeze for its 2 year run. I for one felt as if they didn't even try with this station/format. It was half assed and could of been so much better.
Could Audicy bring back the format to 98.7? Would they?
Down the dial at 93.1 with their dismal ratings, they have a perfect opportunity to turn on the lite and take on the Soft AC format, but will they?

I can picture one of these stations go Christmas music and debut the new format either before or after the holidays.

Which one of these companies would run a better Soft AC station?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 pm

93.1 certainly has the history, though IIRC, they got much hotter the few years before the flip to DRQ. Beautful music and the lighter artists all but disappeared from the dial.

To be fair, I was not a WLTI listener back then. But I would take a Soft AC option on the dial again.

-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:38 pm

They could go rhythmic AC on 93.1... would work with the WDRQ call letters, don't ya think? :hat

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:30 am

Cumulus is not exactly burning-up the book in Detroit now, are they? Waiting for Doug/Jack-FM to return.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:52 pm

I'd love a return of 93.1 DRQ as rhythmic AC, NOT top 40 or rhythmic top 40.

Both stations have an excellent opportunity here..... Soft AC or Rhythmic AC. Both formats are a perfect for the market and portfolios, and will bill excellent with their sister stations.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:59 pm

whats funny is both www.931drq.com and www.drqradio.com are both still active and redirect to their company's website. :lol

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:12 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:10 pm
They are playing his material very frequently. You can view all Cumulus FM station music logs at TuneGenie.
I haven't heard Morgan "Mullet" Wallen's music in Grand Rapids lately

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:32 pm

thatonedude wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:38 pm
They could go rhythmic AC on 93.1... would work with the WDRQ call letters, don't ya think? :hat
Rhythmic AC would be cool, but forget CHR. Just not enough music and ad dollars to go around.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic