Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit Classic Rock Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Detroit Classic Rock Radio

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 pm

You're gonna get the same warmed over crap on WLLZ as you get on WCSX with some warmed over 90s and 00s songs thrown in. Instead of Journey into John Mellencamp, you get Journey into Linkin Park...into Tom Petty. They dare not add anything newer than that because then you're in WRIF territory and nobody goes up against Riff and wins.

So sit down, pick a station and hear one of only 200 songs released in history. Gimme more of that More Than a Feeling. Enjoy.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:19 am

Driving home on Telegraph earlier, at 11:03PM, WLLZ played "Your Love" by The Outfield. I was not mistaken, because the Legal I.D played right after, followed by "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin.

Perhaps I forgot, but my memory tells me The Outfield was more CHR than AOR. I'll still take it over Bohemian Rhapsody.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Albeit it was because they are in town tonight, WLLZ played Cold Gin around 11 this morning. Great, great deep cut and change of pace.

I thought Outfield was AOR that crossed over?

-TurkeyTop

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:40 am

The Outfield song "Winning It All" was their last big song in 1992!! The lead singer died last year.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:42 am

The Outfield final album was "Replay" in 2012. The late lead singer had 2 solo albums but that was it.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:49 am

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:49 am

The Outfield was pretty good. "All the Love In the World" was another strong track. The early 90s Outfield hits were more CHR or AC... "For You" and "Voices of Babylon" come to mind.

It just seems like an odd choice for a station positioning itself as "Classic Rock that ROCKS" but I can live with it.

Here's another head scratcher... Where's Jethro Tull? Was there an auditorium test where the entire Tull catalog "didn't test well"? WLLZ, WRIF, and WCSX all played Jethro Tull over the years. So what happened?

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 pm

That sort of art rock, prog rock has all but disappeared over the last few years. Tull, ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Moody Blues, I don't think it's even researched much anymore. The only thing you get now is the 80s hits from those bands. How can you play that PLUS classics like "Nothing but a Good Time" and "Girls, Girls, Girls"? There just isn't enough hours in the day!

-TurkeyTop

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:56 pm

Here's a video that I'm sure this thread would appreciate:

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:56 pm

Agreed. Fuck "Turn the Page". Fuck Boppin' Bobby Seger.

So it's not just us on the board, huh? Look, man, no one ever said it had to be funky ass album cuts all day and all night, but throw us a bone here.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm

I'm also getting the feeling that formats like classic rock are going to hit a wall in the next 5 to 10 years. In 2026, Stairway will be 55 years old. At what point do these songs not count anymore? And God knows there hasn't been enough music coming in to be filtered out into tomorrow's classic rock format.

Think about it...10 years from now. Even 1996-2001, by the "rules" could fall into classic rock. A lot of that stuff has faded from the airwaves. What AOR/Active Rock acts still get that much play that they would be on a dedicated classic rock format? Is there still gonna be a clamoring for Boston and Journey like this in 2030?

-TurkeyTop

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:40 pm

Don't lose any sleep over it, Mega Hertz. In 2030, do you really think OTA radio broadcasting will still exist? I don't.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:42 pm

Oh, I'm sure it will, but I'm curious as to what they will be playing.

-TurkeyTop

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:02 pm
I'm also getting the feeling that formats like classic rock are going to hit a wall in the next 5 to 10 years. In 2026, Stairway will be 55 years old. At what point do these songs not count anymore? And God knows there hasn't been enough music coming in to be filtered out into tomorrow's classic rock format.

Think about it...10 years from now. Even 1996-2001, by the "rules" could fall into classic rock. A lot of that stuff has faded from the airwaves. What AOR/Active Rock acts still get that much play that they would be on a dedicated classic rock format? Is there still gonna be a clamoring for Boston and Journey like this in 2030?
On SiriusXM, they are advertising Channel 26 (Classic Vinyl) as the first generation of classic rock. So that's one way to keep that particular flavor of classic rock alive.

https://www.siriusxm.com/channels/classic-vinyl

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic