Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Which Detroit station will make the bold move back to the city??

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Which Detroit station will make the bold move back to the city??

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:15 am

I can’t see 7 doing it, because they are way too attached to Broadcast House. I can’t see 56 doing it. I think it’s either going to be Fox 2 or CBS62/CW50. My bet is on Fox 2. Why? I think Fox Television Stations would dish out the cash for it, and Fox 2 seems to have coverage more focused on the city than 7.

I think CBS is already going to be paying a lot of cash in launching CBS News Detroit and possibly relaunching CBS 62 News.

I think Fox is getting ready to make some bold changes at Fox 2. Just my hunch and opinion, that’s all.

km1125

Re: Which Detroit station will make the bold move back to the city??

Post by km1125 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am

Why do you think someone/anyone is going to move back?

Isn't WDIV already down there? Does WXYZ still have their 'noon' studio down there? (I haven't noticed them using it in quite a while... did they abandon that concept??) Not sure I see any reason for 56 to go down there.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:43 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:15 am
I can’t see 7 doing it, because they are way too attached to Broadcast House. I can’t see 56 doing it. I think it’s either going to be Fox 2 or CBS62/CW50. My bet is on Fox 2. Why? I think Fox Television Stations would dish out the cash for it, and Fox 2 seems to have coverage more focused on the city than 7.

I think CBS is already going to be paying a lot of cash in launching CBS News Detroit and possibly relaunching CBS 62 News.

I think Fox is getting ready to make some bold changes at Fox 2. Just my hunch and opinion, that’s all.
Why would they do this???

In this advertising climate, it's status quo.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:37 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am

Isn't WDIV already down there? Does WXYZ still have their 'noon' studio down there? (I haven't noticed them using it in quite a while... did they abandon that concept??) Not sure I see any reason for 56 to go down there.
Actually, WXYZ hasn’t used that downtown studio in months. As for why any of them would go back, downtown and midtown Detroit are both prime areas for development. Both are being built back up. Not even the most avid hater can deny this.

Oh and btw, WJBK‘s O&O brethren WTTG just got a major state of the arc studio in Maryland after being in their DC studio for decades. So Fox is willing to spend money and WJBK is in need of a major makeover.

We need to get out of this old 1980s mindset and come into the 2020s. Detroit is finally rebuilding.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:48 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:37 pm
km1125 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:20 am

Actually, WXYZ hasn’t used that downtown studio in months. As for why any of them would go back, downtown and midtown Detroit are both prime areas for development. Both are being built back up. Not even the most avid hater can deny this.

Oh and btw, WJBK‘s O&O brethren WTTG just got a major state of the arc studio in Maryland after being in their DC studio for decades. So Fox is willing to spend money and WJBK is in need of a major makeover.

We need to get out of this old 1980s mindset and come into the 2020s. Detroit is finally rebuilding.
Have they not been using that downtown studio "because Covid", or is there another reason?

I'm not doubting what's going on in downtown, it's been pretty impressive. Just don't know why any of the stations would have to move there. Lots of news happens all over the metro area. With the revitalization in those areas, wouldn't that also mean it's more expensive to operate there too? When you have owned facilities elsewhere, wouldn't it make more economic sense to just invest the money there in updating the facilities rather than yank the anchor and move? Both WJBK and WXYZ also have transmitters and antennas on their suburban properties, so they'd have to keep something there anyways.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Well, I'm in agreement with those who say Why? Detroit news stations cover more than just the city of Detroit. 2, 7 and 62's studios are all close to 696, The Lodge and the Southfield Freeway. All three seem like better centrally located spots to get to breaking news asap in southeast Michigan, than being in downtown Detroit.
Last edited by Deleted User 14896 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 pm

Only about 10% of the TV market's population now lives the Detroit proper.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 pm

7's downtown studio was put on hiatus for Covid protocols, that equipment was just checked out by engineering so I would expect a return to use is coming soon.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:24 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 pm
Fox 2 focuses a lot more on the city of Detroit than 7, which is why them being the ones to make a move makes a lot more sense. Also, the areas of the city I’ve mentioned are the areas that are actually growing. It’s the neighborhoods that need major work and are now just getting much needed attention. Again, Fox is willing to make a bold move, seeing where Detroit will be in about 20 years. 7 made a move to Southfield almost two decades (they moved into BH in 1959) before Oakland really developed, one that started in the late 60s. This was when things were truly in reverse.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:30 pm

audiophile wrote:
Detroit is now only 6.4 percent of Michigan in 2020, compared to 27 percent in 1950.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:33 pm

rp
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:30 pm
audiophile wrote:
Detroit is now only 6.4 percent of Michigan in 2020, compared to 27 percent in 1950.
Think about where they are going in 20 years. Think big. I know because I actually met those in the know.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:18 pm

20 years from now - best case - Detroit will be a modest amount less of the shit hole it is today.

Vast majority of viewership could give two shits where the physical studio is located.

Detroit remains a mostly destitute city with too much violent crime, widespread blight in numerous neighborhoods, contaminated land, mostly terrible schools, and crumbling infrastructure.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:49 pm

Truthfully, crime is up in just about every American city this year. Truthfully, Detroit’s crime rate was far less than other cities from last year. As far as the neighborhoods, that’s already being addressed. There’s major development planned or are already being worked on for several big time neighborhoods. Detroit does have a 20 year plan, so it’s safe to say it’s going to be in far better shape in 2041. It’s come a mighty long way since 2001. This isn’t just an opinion. These are actual facts.

Many are starting to take notice.

Back to the topic, I still think it could be Fox 2 but who knows??

thekman

Post by thekman » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:31 am

I’m bearish on most cities, not just Detroit. Pre-pandemic was a totally different story, as Millennials in general were more inclined to embrace urban-living. The first generation to really do so in quite some time. There really was quite the renaissance in many cities. Dan Gilbert was pumping money into both Detroit and Cleveland.

I think the pandemic is a monumental change though. As significant as the Industrial Revolution moving people from rural to urban or centralized air-conditioning moving people from the Northeast and Midwest to South and the West. Companies will vastly decrease their office footprint as leases come up for renewal. Many will permanently close offices and switch to virtual-only. I’ve had many coworkers who no longer work from home from the Detroit area but have moved to cottages and cabins. Moved to Florida or other states.

Not that cities will crater and disappear. There still will be bars and restaurants. Museums and concerts and sports. But even then, the pandemic has made people much more accustomed to finding entertainment via streaming at home. They’ve grown used to staying in, and many people rather enjoy and prefer it. I think the vibrancy of the city will continue to wane. City budgets are propped up in this pandemic by Washington DC, and who knows how much cash infusion will come from future administrations.

Many people live in a particular city or suburb only because having a job or schooling requires it. But that will no longer be the case for many white-collar jobs or university classes. This pandemic is a great leveling of the world.

And so, with my apologies for my long-winded opinion, I can’t see any sort of significant investment in Detroit by a station. Perhaps a satellite studio, like the noon channel 7 broadcast, but not much beyond that. I can’t see the cost/benefit analysis making it worthwhile to invest in a city well into the 4th stage of a product life cycle.

Just my opinion. I honestly hope I’m wrong, because I’d love the shining city on the hill to be what it once was.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic