Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

August ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: August ratings

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 pm

If All Voice Tracked, All the Time Audacy were to bring back V98.7 and smooth jazz to WDZH would it do any worse than alternative is currently doing?
Probably not, but I don't believe it would perform much better, either.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

thatonedude

August ratings

Post by thatonedude » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
If All Voice Tracked, All the Time Audacy were to bring back V98.7 and smooth jazz to WDZH would it do any worse than alternative is currently doing?
Probably not, but I don't believe it would perform much better, either.
The corpse of it is still on the HD2 and streaming… and I think they still have a jock or two that are live. It’s been a while since I’ve listened of course.

take this job and shove it

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am

I still would like to hear from Detroit area classic rock fans why they prefer WCSX over WLLZ. From my sampling of the two
WCSX seems more mainstream classic rock while WLLZ seems more classic hard rock and heavy metal. Perhaps WLLZ
should consider being all classic hard rock and heavy metal.. If anyone who is in the minority and prefers WLLZ over WCSX
then let it be posted. If you are in the majority and you prefer WCSX post it as well. Also since Detroit is known for Bob
Seger and Ted Nugent I'd like to know who gets deeper with their music between the two classic rockers. Both artists
have some good songs but on the other hand they have some tiresome overplayed hits that I can't stand. So again
I'd like to know what the local status is on deeper cuts by Bob, Ted, and others from the area when it comes to classic
rock radio in Detroit and what classic rockers prefer and why they prefer WCSX it they're in the majority and WLLZ it
they're in the minoity.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:54 pm

Bob Seger could release audio of himself farting on a snare drum and we would have another Seger Saturday, an A-Z and hourly updates of what the fart smells like.

Every other Detroit rocker? Ted? Alice? You might get a tertiary spin every other day or so.
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:25 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am
I still would like to hear from Detroit area classic rock fans why they prefer WCSX over WLLZ.
Because of Dave Dahmer. His voice is so smooth, delivery so melodic and he can spin a story that makes you feel like you were really there. Never have I enjoyed listening to someone on the radio so much since Bruce Martyn retired.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:17 pm

https://youtu.be/zdUoJt6yPag

Yes. I firmly believe once Ken Kal retires, nobody else could do this as well as Dahmer.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:19 pm

In all seriousness, taking out the 90s/00s cuts, leaving the 60s-80s, what is one playing different than the other? Metallica? What else comes to mind?

-TurkeyTop

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:08 pm

If 106.7 was going to stay as rock then I wish WLLZ would do something genuinely different. They can keep the same late 60's through 90's playlist but change it up by expanding their stable of artists and songs. At this point they aren't going to out WCSX 94.7 and beat them at their own game. Why not change things up and be different?

They can't abandon ship on the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Bob Seger, Rolling Stones, etc., because people in Detroit seemingly want to hear those stable of retread artists, but they can offer different tracks from those artists instead of the same 4-5 songs. They can also expand the amount of artists they play. Additionally, they can add more metal, harder edged, new wave, and grunge rock from the 1980's and 1990's. A combination of a 1970's AOR station that meets 105.1 The Edge.

A 12 song playlist for an hour might look something like this:

Jimi Hendrix - Dolly Dragger
Sonic Youth - Cool Thing
Dio - The Last In Line
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Iron Maiden - Run For the Hills
Warrant - Down Boys
Kingdom Come - Get It On
Led Zeppelin - Darlene
Church - Under the Milky Way
Rolling Stones - She's a Rainbow
Big Country - In A Big Country
Nirvana - Blew

Am I a terrible MD and PD? Would a station that mixes up standard rock fair from the late 1960's through 1990s with deeper hard rock, metal, grunge, and new wave tracks bomb out in this market? Is there a dividing line between the crowd that listens to standard rock songs you've heard a million times and those that listen to grunge, metal and/or new wave?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:14 am

I still would like to hear from Detroit area classic rock fans why they prefer WCSX over WLLZ. From my sampling of the two WCSX seems more mainstream classic rock while WLLZ seems more classic hard rock and heavy metal.
I would hardly use the term "heavy metal" to describe WLLZ, but it certainly rocks harder than WCSX.

I do not prefer WCSX at all to WLLZ. I listen to WLLZ much more than CSX. I don't even have a preset programmed for WCSX.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 am

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:08 pm

A 12 song playlist for an hour might look something like this:

Jimi Hendrix - Dolly Dragger
Sonic Youth - Cool Thing
Dio - The Last In Line
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Iron Maiden - Run For the Hills
Warrant - Down Boys
Kingdom Come - Get It On
Led Zeppelin - Darlene
Church - Under the Milky Way
Rolling Stones - She's a Rainbow
Big Country - In A Big Country
Nirvana - Blew

Am I a terrible MD and PD?
Yes.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:14 am

I do not prefer WCSX at all to WLLZ. I listen to WLLZ much more than CSX. I don't even have a preset programmed for WCSX.
I still have a CSX preset, but also listen to WLLZ more.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:09 pm

Whenever I listen to WCSX, it sounds more like Rock-based Classic Hits than Classic Rock to me. They sound more designed to appeal to the soccer moms whose other presets would include WNIC and WOMC, not WLLZ and WRIF. Obviously it works, even if they're too soft for most red blooded hard rockers.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 am

Let me ask this:

With so many artists being the same on both WCSX and WLLZ, including hair metal, Scorpions, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, et al, what does CSX have against Judas Priest and Iron Maiden? WLLZ doesn't exactly go deep with them, but they are nowhere to be found on WCSX's airwaves.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 am
Let me ask this:

With so many artists being the same on both WCSX and WLLZ, including hair metal, Scorpions, Quiet Riot, Def Leppard, et al, what does CSX have against Judas Priest and Iron Maiden? WLLZ doesn't exactly go deep with them, but they are nowhere to be found on WCSX's airwaves.
There ya go. Worship Satan on your own time.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:25 am

Neckbeard wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:02 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:51 am
Let me ask this:

There ya go. Worship Satan on your own time.

Jesus, Neck. Wrong profile again!

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic