Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

August ratings

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Greg Buben

August ratings

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 am

I noticed that the overall ratings for all 12+ in the Detroit area came out. WCSX-FM 94.7 FM with it's classic rock format
is number one with a 7.2 share. Classic Rock does better in the Detroit area than it does in the Grand Rppids area. That's
because WCSX is a much better sounding classic rock station than is WLAV in Grand Rapids.
Greg Buben

Mega Hertz

Re: August ratings

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Fuck me with a chainsaw. I didn't realize Bohemian Rhapsody and hair metal was the formula to get to number 1.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Maybe it's time to bring back Kristy Swan to join Tony Gates at WLAV mornings. That would move the numbers up. Uncle Buck was great on middays back then as well.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Fuck me with a chainsaw. I didn't realize Bohemian Rhapsody and hair metal was the formula to get to number 1.
Fuck me with a chainsaw is the content I signed up for :rollin
Bravo!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:51 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Fuck me with a chainsaw is the content I signed up for :rollin
Bravo!
I can now relax. I did my job for the day.

I have officially entertained more people than 98.7!

-TurkeyTop

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:14 am

I posted that the Detroit area overall ratings of all 12 and up came out for the August survey. The only station that I
mentioned was the classic rock station WCSX- FM 94.7 as number one with a 7.2 share. I should also mention that the
classic hits station WOMC-FM 104.3 also had a 7.2 share. Apparently the two are tied and that WCSX showed up number
one because it is alphabetically before WOMC. In either case it demonstrates that classic music of the past is in style
for those in the Detroit area. As far as the classic rock competition goes WCSX still does great in the ratings while it's
competition WLLZ is down in the dumps. My guess is that WLLZ plays too much hard rock like Van Halen and 80's heavy
metal hair bands such as Motley Crew. Whenever I've been to Detroit WCSX impresses me as being a mainstream
classic rocker while WLLZ puts the emphasis on classic hard rock and heavy metal. I'd love to have Detroit classic rock
people post their responses as to why WCSX seems better than WLLZ.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:18 pm

Could it be that classic rock / classic hits do so well in the ratings because the only people listening to radio anymore are the people that grew up with that music?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:29 pm

How long is WDRQ going to be allowed to flounder around at a 2.0-2.2 rating? Why can't we get a new format? Nash Icon/Country gold, sports, a returns to DRQ 93.1 with classic dance hits or CHR? Why does Cume-less insist on keeping a dead new country format on the station?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 am

I think Bryce is correct to a large degree. Detroit was such as phenomenal radio market in the 70s, 80s and 90s that people who grew up on local radio remain very loyal to it.

Tater raises a valid point regarding WDRQ. I'm surprised at how badly Cumulus has allowed that station to regress in the ratings after really giving WYCD a run for its money in spring 2019.

The station was trying to build an identity as the trendier of the two Country stations and put personalities on the air designed to appeal to a young demographic. Now, they have a female morning drive co-host who is almost assuredly north of 50 years of age and an on-air PD covering afternoons who is another Gen X'er. The identity of the station has become very muddled.

It's perhaps time for yet (another) overhaul of 93.1's country format, or perhaps the station should flip to something else. I wouldn't do CHR. Young listeners don't use radio as much as older listeners, and WDVD already covers a decent amount of that ground.

If 93.1 were to change formats, Soft AC in the vein of the Breeze would be the best bet. That format would pair nicely with WDVD, and quite frankly, it might even pair nicely with WJR. A Soft AC - Hot AC combo would put the squeeze on WNIC.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:44 am

Hell yeah! One part Kenny Loggins and one part "DEMOCRATS CAUSE 93% OF ALL CANCERS. More after the break".

Seriously, I would like a Soft AC option again. That or another Rhythmic AC. That would fare well with the WDRQ calls and frequency, and it would hit that F 25-54 demo. That may pair well with WDVD, also. Women get the FMs and cranky old white men get the AM. It's a win win!

-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm

I’d say go back to Doug but put some effort in it this time around…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take this job and shove it

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 am

I offered a reason why I believe WCSX always beats its classic rock competitor WLLZ. I believe based on my sampling of
the two Detroit classic rockers that WLLZ puts more of an emphasis on classic hard rock such as Van Halen and classic
heavy metal such as Motley Crew. I 'm not saying that WCSX won't play heavier classic rock it's just to me it seems to
stick out that WLLZ is harder classic rock. I'm suprised nobody responded to me. I'd also like Detroit area classic rockers
in their own words post why they agree with the ratings that WCSX is a better classic rocker.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 am

If 93.1 were to change formats, Soft AC in the vein of the Breeze would be the best bet. That format would pair nicely with WDVD, and quite frankly, it might even pair nicely with WJR. A Soft AC - Hot AC combo would put the squeeze on WNIC.
Good idea.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:56 am

If All Voice Tracked, All the Time Audacy were to bring back V98.7 and smooth jazz to WDZH would it do any worse than alternative is currently doing?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:18 pm

I would like a Duke FM around here. It seems more and more when I tune by, I at least KNOW the song playing.

I had higher hopes for WLLZ, given what that station was in the 80s and early 90s. Stupid me; that's iHeart. The 60s/70s/80s selections are all the same. WLLZ models itself after WIOT; it's not uncommon to go from Boston to Green Day.

What I wouldn't give for WLLZ to drop the 60s and 70s stuff and lean more into 90s and 00s gold selections. But I guess by that point, you're WRIF without the crappy new bands, so maybe that won't end well.

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic