Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:36 am

Just talked to one of the anchors briefly yesterday and it looks like mornings is coming soon, like within the next couple weeks.

Also, one of the new hires, Kris Laudien (he’s from KARE tv) is definitely a morning anchor.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:41 am

I think that’s as big as the newsroom will get. The building itself isn’t very big. This is why I think that eventually, they will have to build a much bigger building, Their staff continues to grow. This isn’t the mid 1980s up until 2002, where WKBD had just one newscast and later, WWJ just had 11 pm.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:49 am

Execution is just fine. Again, the network seems happy and overall feedback is positive. I feel the issue is, their style is just different and some are just not used to it. That seems to be the general consensus from other boards and those boards actually has posters who are involved in the business. If their feedback is positive, than that’s all that matters.

I think they are expanding so quickly for these reasons:

1) Advertisers are happy overall with the product.
2) The network is happy.
3) Internal ratings are a lot better than expected so far.
4) This is what it was originally intended to be but couldn’t do it in late January, because they didn’t have the full staff for it.

As for getting rid of the channel references, it looks to be a corporate thing. KPIX, KCBS/KCAL, and are very own WWJ have already done it. It looks like KDKA will follow suit. Truthfully, I don’t think channel references means much anymore in the digital age.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 am

What are "internal ratings" ? Just curious. I thought all ratings data comes from Nielsen.

The plan all along was to run many hours of news daily; they are not going to hire all the people that they've already hired and run only an hour or two of news daily. That wouldn't make much sense. Ratings probably would've had little to no bearing on roll out of news in the other dayparts.

I agree a bigger building is probably needed.
When done right it usually looks like they are almost in another room with a glass wall or something.
Not necessarily. CNN during the 80s and 90s didn't have a wall, if I remember correctly. WZZM in Grand Rapids used their newsroom for morning, noon and 5:30p newscasts for several years in the 90s, and it looked really good. WZZM didn't go overboard with weird brickwork and steel beams and weird camera angles like 62 is doing; everything looked cohesive.

I will say the full screen graphics (other than the contrast deficient weather graphics) are snazzy. Especially the "swoosh" graphic with the CBS eye logo. The music package is just "meh," but then again, none of the stations in town have a particularly good music package. The lower thirds look respectable other than the obnoxiously sized "CBS News Detroit" tag.

The station's Facebook page is bereft of viewer comments. I scrolled through what had to have been 60 or 70 posts and saw a grand total of 3 comments from viewers.

One post on WDIV's site made yesterday evening so far has attracted 88 comments single handedly.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:40 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 am
What are "internal ratings" ? Just curious. I thought all ratings data comes from Nielsen.

The plan all along was to run many hours of news daily; they are not going to hire all the people that they've already hired and run only an hour or two of news daily. That wouldn't make much sense. Ratings probably would've had little to no bearing on roll out of news in the other dayparts.

When done right it usually looks like they are almost in another room with a glass wall or something.
Not necessarily. CNN during the 80s and 90s didn't have a wall, if I remember correctly. WZZM in Grand Rapids used their newsroom for morning, noon and 5:30p newscasts for several years in the 90s, and it looked really good. WZZM didn't go overboard with weird brickwork and steel beams and weird camera angles like 62 is doing; everything looked cohesive.

I will say the full screen graphics (other than the contrast deficient weather graphics) are snazzy. Especially the "swoosh" graphic with the CBS eye logo. The music package is just "meh," but then again, none of the stations in town have a particularly good music package. The lower thirds look respectable other than the obnoxiously sized "CBS News Detroit" tag.

The station's Facebook page is bereft of viewer comments. I scrolled through what had to have been 60 or 70 posts and saw a grand total of 3 comments from viewers.

One post on WDIV's site made yesterday evening so far has attracted 88 comments single handedly.
What I was getting at is usually the full newsroom is in the background and I remember it being pretty right to left straight behind the camera at a distance that would not interfere with the broadcast or be too distracting if somebody in the newsroom had to walk around. 62’s seems to be on kind of an angle that makes it look awkward.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:16 pm

I agree regarding the awkwardness. The narrowness of that room makes it anti-photogenic. I wonder what is on the other side of the wall where the weathercast monitor is mounted? That wall, ideally, should not be there. The space would look much more open without it.

senpaisai

Post by senpaisai » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:What are "internal ratings" ? Just curious. I thought all ratings data comes from Nielsen.

WTOL always had a newsroom set until their most recent set and studio redesign. There's YT videos of various open and closed newsroom sets they used from the late 70s and 1980s with Jeff Heitz. Jerry Anderson always did the 4pm news from the newsroom set until the mid 1990s. A few months before Liberty sold it to Raycom, Jerry Anderson and fresh from vacation Larry Watley debuted a cream colored closed set for the Noon and 4pm and directly across was a new maroon and gold set for thier 6pm and 11pm cast. All cramped into thier newsroom studio. This was just a few months before Liberty sold it to Raycom. Raycom wasted no time striking the cream colored set and tweaking the maroon and gold which was eventually moved into the closed studio along with their Buckeye Sports set. Thier current set is in this studio now, and the newsroom studio set is a hollowed out hodgepodge of ancillary sets they used to use for their morning show. This from CBS Detroit does look cramped. The shot with both anchors at the desk and newsroom behind them makes the whole thing look like it's in 4:3 instead of 16:9 ... Image

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:36 pm

https://youtu.be/9eq5WY_XyQU. Here is what the set should have looked like. Not an old warehouse off 7 mile.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:16 pm
I agree regarding the awkwardness. The narrowness of that room makes it anti-photogenic. I wonder what is on the other side of the wall where the weathercast monitor is mounted? That wall, ideally, should not be there. The space would look much more open without it.
Might be a load-bearing wall

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:44 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:31 am
CBS has had every opportunity in the world to bring in major-market Detroit talent like Ben Bailey, Christy McDonald, Frank Turner, Kevin Dietz, ML Elrick, Robin Schwartz................
You don't know that. Most of these people are likely under contract somewhere else and/or may not have wanted to make an employment change at this time either due to contract stipulations or income offered if a change was made.
MrTaterSalad wrote:
If I was CBS I would scrap this thing and start over brand new and reformat the product entirely. The biggest changes I would make would be the following things. First, the addition of a traditional news set that actually makes this product look like a big-time, major market local news operation.
You're not taking into account something I learned at Channel 7. What you want in a news set and the budget constraints you have to deal with make you work with what you are given. If CBS is setting up these news operations at several stations you can bet that there is a certain amount budgeted to each station. Also if CBS is calling the shots in funding and format to achieve unity among all the stations the local station will have to accept what they get for now especially in the current economic climate.

The WWJ-TV management and the news director clearly state their direction in this video interview I posted about a week ago:

Talking TV: CBS Goes Live With News At WWJ Detroit

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/arti ... j-detroit/

It can be noted that "What WWJ has tried to deliver is something gritter, less polished and more distributed across its communities than centered in its newsroom." If they wanted to be as you put it "traditional" they could but CBS chose a different path. It appears that their emphasis is to be in the surrounding communities and actually gather the news that all to often is left behind in said cities. Let them do it.
MrTaterSalad wrote:
..........add an investigative journalism team, and create more longform, in-depth content and stories.
Their budget may not allow for an investigative team that you call for this early on. Since their focus is in the surrounding communities an emphasis on investigations may not be needed at this time anyway.
MrTaterSalad wrote:
......... I would replace their MMJs with traditional, on-the-scene reporters like every other station in America has.
To conclude that every other station doesn't use MMJs is incorrect. Stations owners are looking for anyway they can to condense their production staff. They forward that directive to the station management. Don't think this MMJ concept isn't a part of field production in the Detroit market. It began years ago and I saw it.

CBS-Detroit will succeed only if their communication of the news reaches and satisfies the viewer's thirst for relevant information on any given day, and it will take time to achieve that.

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:15 am

To kick off its fourth week, CBS News Detroit at Noon debuted yesterday, and CBS News Detroit has now been added to Pluto TV on channel 3390.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:08 am

There was a special edition at 6 am this morning. I think they are dress rehearsing for the eventual launch of the morning newscasts.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:47 pm

https://www.facebook.com/10005786728761 ... tid=tejx2t

Another decent hire. Will be anchoring the weekends.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:41 pm

6 am newscast starts tomorrow.

https://titantv.com/default.aspx

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:21 pm

I think their 5PM newscast is their strongest.

Good coverage regarding the issues afflicting the Ford F-150 Lightning.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic