Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:07 pm

Sounds half assed to me; no big name air talent and "weak" anchors.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 506166001/

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:53 pm

Wonder if they'll change the calls for Ch. 62 sometime before launch.

You'd think they'd want to differentiate their news product from Audacy / WWJ 950.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:02 pm

km1125 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 pm
Saw a new face on 62 doing the weather last night. Forgot her name but just wondering if she was part of the new cohort?
Neither Stacy DuFord nor Kylee Miller are new faces on 62. They have both been doing weather segments subbing for Karen Carter for a couple of years, more so after April Moss' departure.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:12 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:02 pm
km1125 wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 pm
Saw a new face on 62 doing the weather last night. Forgot her name but just wondering if she was part of the new cohort?
Neither Stacy DuFord nor Kylee Miller are new faces on 62. They have both been doing weather segments subbing for Karen Carter for a couple of years, more so after April Moss' departure.
Thanks for that update. I've seen Stacy on there several times, but had not seen Kylee on there until just recently.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:39 am

If he wants the role, Chris Edwards should be the Chief Meteorologist at the station. He's got the experience here locally in Detroit and is good enough to serve in the lead role IMO. I'd also like to see Stephen Clark and Scott Lewis on the station in some capacity if they are interested in coming back to local TV news in Detroit.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:54 am

Chris wants to remain retired, I'm sure. He's got to be pushing age 70, I suspect.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:35 am

I believe that News Director just got hired recently. Waiting for more confirmation! I think there’s supposed to be a mass hiring coming after the first of the year. Might see more and more news content in spring, heading up to the summer/fall debut. News content as in news cut ins with CBS Mornings and breaking news.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:51 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:54 am
Chris wants to remain retired, I'm sure. He's got to be pushing age 70, I suspect.
I’m thinking he’s closer to 60…his first job was at The Weather Channel in mid-1980s.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:29 am

All I know is that I would rather watch this weathercaster, Kylee Miller, than Dave Rexroth, Andrew Humphrey, or Rich Luterman! https://m101675-ecdn.mp.lura.live/1/998 ... MhjLTnDkjo

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Not happening!! With a major election year coming and the Covid crap going on, CBS wants a news operation in one of their top 15 markers. Having no newscast last year in the middle of a pandemic was an eye opener. Also, with Fox having an O&O here locally and with the new NFL contract, in addition to the rise of CBSN, they are in a major sense of urgency to relaunch a newscast here. They’ve already spent millions of dollars hiring a talent agency to find local talent. The newscast is going forward.

All of the syndicated sitcoms are going to be on WKBD, CW 50. By spring 2022, WWJ CBS 62 is going to focus more on news. Their schedule as of late is a clear reflection of this. I hear that Family Feud at 6 and Big Bang theory are both going to be moved by April. CW 50 news at 10 is also going to go through major changes. This is a big deal.
Keep in mind, the CBS stations division, CBS News Division, and the CBS television network are separate entities. Managers are hired to make their own divisions profitable, not somebody else's division. Clearly, station management and those to whom they report at the stations division aren't much interested in starting up local news - after all this time. If they haven't done it by now, they probably won't.

At least CBS News gets the Evening News and the morning show carried in Detroit. There was a time when WJBK-TV was their affiliate and passed on the morning show and for a time even passed on the CBS Evening News, as well as some CBS prime time shows.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:04 pm

FredLeonard wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 pm
Keep in mind, the CBS stations division, CBS News Division, and the CBS television network are separate entities. Managers are hired to make their own divisions profitable, not somebody else's division. Clearly, station management and those to whom they report at the stations division aren't much interested in starting up local news - after all this time. If they haven't done it by now, they probably won't. [...]
In April of this year, ViacomCBS combined two of those separate divisions, and created a new "CBS News and Stations" division, Co-headed by Wendy McMahon and Neeraj Khemlani. CBS News, within this new division, has its own President reporting to these Division Co-heads.
Org charts are just so fun.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:13 pm

FredLeonard wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:27 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Not happening!! With a major election year coming and the Covid crap going on, CBS wants a news operation in one of their top 15 markers. Having no newscast last year in the middle of a pandemic was an eye opener. Also, with Fox having an O&O here locally and with the new NFL contract, in addition to the rise of CBSN, they are in a major sense of urgency to relaunch a newscast here. They’ve already spent millions of dollars hiring a talent agency to find local talent. The newscast is going forward.

All of the syndicated sitcoms are going to be on WKBD, CW 50. By spring 2022, WWJ CBS 62 is going to focus more on news. Their schedule as of late is a clear reflection of this. I hear that Family Feud at 6 and Big Bang theory are both going to be moved by April. CW 50 news at 10 is also going to go through major changes. This is a big deal.
Keep in mind, the CBS stations division, CBS News Division, and the CBS television network are separate entities. Managers are hired to make their own divisions profitable, not somebody else's division. Clearly, station management and those to whom they report at the stations division aren't much interested in starting up local news - after all this time. If they haven't done it by now, they probably won't.

At least CBS News gets the Evening News and the morning show carried in Detroit. There was a time when WJBK-TV was their affiliate and passed on the morning show and for a time even passed on the CBS Evening News, as well as some CBS prime time shows.

They just announced a news operation that’s starting next year.

https://amp.freep.com/amp/6506166001

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:27 pm

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:43 pm

He's not local to the area so I doubt it. There is plenty of TV news talent in the area, on and off camera that have recently left the biz, will CBS cowboy up and pay the $$$ to bring them back?

BFSEsq

Post by BFSEsq » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:39 pm

Lester The Nightfly wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:05 pm
senpaisai wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:58 pm

I think CBS is looking for streaming to make this a success moreso than OTA viewership. Just look at all of the CBSN channels on PlutoTV. If you only have say Xfinity internet and no OTA antenna (or can't pick up a signal), having CBSN Detroit is your best bet for local news. It could also eat into Newsy ...
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
This is definitely the plan. It's primarily for streaming, so they can add another local outlet to the many flavors of CBS News channels that you can get from different cities. PlutoTV carries a bunch of them, and there are more and more free TV services that are adding news channels, like Tubi, for instance. That's the future. They wouldn't do it if it were just OTA. The fact that the news release mentions the streaming aspect first is key, as has also been said. I can't honestly believe they're going to go from zero to 24/7 streaming. It will probably look pretty rough at first.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic