Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:48 pm

RadioMax wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:58 pm
So when is this happening?
Early 2022

RadioMax

Post by RadioMax » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:19 am

Hey Circlewxyz: Do you think they'll build their news team by tapping local on-air talent or will they bring news folks in from out of town?

FredLeonard

Post by FredLeonard » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:50 am

If the suits at Black Rock have half a brain, they will leave well enough alone. Local TV news is dying. It has gotten so bad it deserves to die. Metamucil can find other places to buy time. It seems the only way local stations can make money out of a news department is to expand to five o'clock, four o'clock, mornings from four am to 7 am - and that's assuming the station has already gotten an established news presence in their market. They'd do better with Family Feud. Even better if they used episodes with Richard Dawson. At 11, I'd love them try a local late night show like Soupy Sales used to do.

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:17 am

FredLeonard wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:50 am
If the suits at Black Rock have half a brain, they will leave well enough alone. Local TV news is dying. It has gotten so bad it deserves to die. Metamucil can find other places to buy time. It seems the only way local stations can make money out of a news department is to expand to five o'clock, four o'clock, mornings from four am to 7 am - and that's assuming the station has already gotten an established news presence in their market. They'd do better with Family Feud. Even better if they used episodes with Richard Dawson. At 11, I'd love them try a local late night show like Soupy Sales used to do.
I agree with you Fred. They could even bring Seinfeld back and get better ratings than a newscast.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:20 pm

FredLeonard wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:50 am
Not happening!! With a major election year coming and the Covid crap going on, CBS wants a news operation in one of their top 15 markers. Having no newscast last year in the middle of a pandemic was an eye opener. Also, with Fox having an O&O here locally and with the new NFL contract, in addition to the rise of CBSN, they are in a major sense of urgency to relaunch a newscast here. They’ve already spent millions of dollars hiring a talent agency to find local talent. The newscast is going forward.

All of the syndicated sitcoms are going to be on WKBD, CW 50. By spring 2022, WWJ CBS 62 is going to focus more on news. Their schedule as of late is a clear reflection of this. I hear that Family Feud at 6 and Big Bang theory are both going to be moved by April. CW 50 news at 10 is also going to go through major changes. This is a big deal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Even if they offered news in 2020 on a local level, ratings would've stunk.

In markets where CBS has been doing local news for decades, they are commonly in third place or even fourth place. Maybe even fifth in the case of Los Angeles in certain dayparts.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ftvliv ... format=amp

San Francisco is one of a select few major markets where the CBS O&O station is frequently top two in local newscast ratings.

ABC by far has the best O&O local news operations. NBC does a fairly good job. CBS is no better than FOX, and if we're talking 25-54 year old viewers, I'm inclined to give the nod to FOX.

I expect the CBS news product here to be a basement dweller...a total ratings disaster. It will almost assuredly earn much lower ratings than the content it will be replacing.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm

Detroit is going to be different in my opinion, because they are doing this at a time when there’s more of a need for news. The Fox O&O is about to go through some changes with a local legend retiring and the other maybe on her way out as well. WXYZ is weakening. I don’t think CBS is expecting it to be at the top of the ratings right away, but there’s going to be much more of an aggressive approach to this. They are going to be a lot more patient this time around. Again, there’s a lot of money going into this. I for one, am excited about this.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:48 pm

Cord cutters might find this a refreshing alternative. now that newsy is on as well, this might be a good alternative to cable
I love my antenna there are so many choices now with sub-channels. give it time and it might work out

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:11 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm
Detroit is going to be different in my opinion, because they are doing this at a time when there’s more of a need for news. The Fox O&O is about to go through some changes with a local legend retiring and the other maybe on her way out as well. WXYZ is weakening. I don’t think CBS is expecting it to be at the top of the ratings right away, but there’s going to be much more of an aggressive approach to this. They are going to be a lot more patient this time around. Again, there’s a lot of money going into this. I for one, am excited about this.
CBS will lose a lot of money on this. It will be a guaranteed fail.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:40 am

I agree completely with Rick here.

News conscious viewers usually turn to established sources they trust during important news cycles, not a fledgling upstart.

Also, news consumption in general has already decreased markedly from 2020 and early 2021 peaks.

This effort will play out similarly to NBC 10 in Boston.

Most of the CBS O & O stations have very milquetoast visual looks and very old demos.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am

I would watch it. I enjoy Colbert and have to change channels at 11:30

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Maybe CBS is learning that by investing in local stations, viewers may tune into more of their network news shows. How many times can they play musical chairs and blow up the Evening News and CBS This Morning, or The Early Show, or CBS Mornings, or whatever it's called now.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:01 pm

Luke wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:54 pm
Maybe CBS is learning that by investing in local stations, viewers may tune into more of their network news shows. How many times can they play musical chairs and blow up the Evening News and CBS This Morning, or The Early Show, or CBS Mornings, or whatever it's called now.
Exactly! Too many people in this area are too stuck in their ways and are too closed minded. CBS is going the similar route with it’s O&Os as Fox is with it’s O&Os. Just look at WJBK.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Rick Grenon wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:11 am
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:44 pm
CBS will lose a lot of money on this. It will be a guaranteed fail.

We don’t know that. They are going through with this! They know more about what they are doing then any of us keyboard warriors who think we know it all when in reality, we don’t. They see a major break in this market and they are taking advantage of it.

Instead of being negative like most people are in the Detroit area who are older than 35 and are stuck in an 1980s/1990s mindset, be open minded for once. CBS knows way more than any of us do. It’s happening and it may succeed. Instead of trying to word curse it, be open minded and be excited! I truly believe a CBS 62 News just may succeed this time. The fact that they are putting a lot of money and effort into this says a lot. It’s not a cheap relaunch at all.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:09 pm

Truthfully, I don’t think they are going to be worried about it being at the top of the ratings. They are going to be a lot more patient with it. 2 and 7 aren’t what they used to be. Some just may welcome an alternative.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic