Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:15 pm

As for the concerns about CBS, I get it. They don’t have a good track record. However, I would keep an open mind. Maybe, just maybe, it might work out his time. Them not rushing into it like years past is a sign of hope.

Truthfully, I think it’s sad that a major CBS O&O was without a news department for so long. CBS probably agrees, which is why they are not sitting on the sidelines anymore. Truthfully, CBS feels it’s needed. We all just want this to be done right and maybe, they’ve learned from past mistakes. We will find out in about a month.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:34 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:05 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:49 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:21 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:29 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:47 am
tivoking wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:26 am
This is the most over-hyped programming ever! There's so many news outlets. WXYZ studios has 1.5 hours of news every night from 10 to 11:35. Why do we need local CBS now? Less and less people watch local channels each year.
CBS saw this market needs a news department, especially after the Pandemic. 2020 and 2021 were wake-up calls for CBS.
It has 3. What do you mean it needs a news department?

Top 15 market. Detroit once had 4 news departments and will have 4 yet again. It was just time for CBS to get back in the news game.

Seriously, I just think you are looking for a reason just to argue. Not interested buddy.
No I am not... you just make some... er... interesting... remarks to put it mildly.

But do we really NEED 4? This market is barely top 15... as in #15. But a lot of it plays like something in the 30's. It has a severely degraded viewership of the existing news content. It had that going against it as far back as the mid 1980's when ABC sold 7... part of that was because 7 was severely underperforming the other ABC owned stations in terms of its profitability. So the reality is more complicated.
This is a forum where we discuss about the topic at hand and should be able to express that, without childish remarks. If you disagree with an opinion, that’s fine. But to say they are interesting? Not necessary, my friend. It’s best to say that “I don’t agree with that” or “let’s agree to disagree”, and move on.

As for the market needing 4 news departments, well, much smaller markets have 4. Why not? At the end of the day, it’s CBS’ decision, not ours.
What forum are you on? :lol I don’t need posting instructions from you… secondly I’m not being childish. You come on here and post things and the results are incongruous at best. Sometimes the information is good and other times I haven’t a godawful clue what you are talking about. For example… just today you said “Carr will go to 62!” And a couple hours later it’s become “I hope they don’t hire Carr!” Huh?

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:34 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Rate This wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Rate This wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
tivoking wrote:
This is the most over-hyped programming ever! There's so many news outlets. WXYZ studios has 1.5 hours of news every night from 10 to 11:35. Why do we need local CBS now? Less and less people watch local channels each year.
CBS saw this market needs a news department, especially after the Pandemic. 2020 and 2021 were wake-up calls for CBS.

Top 15 market. Detroit once had 4 news departments and will have 4 yet again. It was just time for CBS to get back in the news game.

Seriously, I just think you are looking for a reason just to argue. Not interested buddy.
No I am not... you just make some... er... interesting... remarks to put it mildly.

But do we really NEED 4? This market is barely top 15... as in #15. But a lot of it plays like something in the 30's. It has a severely degraded viewership of the existing news content. It had that going against it as far back as the mid 1980's when ABC sold 7... part of that was because 7 was severely underperforming the other ABC owned stations in terms of its profitability. So the reality is more complicated.
This is a forum where we discuss about the topic at hand and should be able to express that, without childish remarks. If you disagree with an opinion, that’s fine. But to say they are interesting? Not necessary, my friend. It’s best to say that “I don’t agree with that” or “let’s agree to disagree”, and move on.

As for the market needing 4 news departments, well, much smaller markets have 4. Why not? At the end of the day, it’s CBS’ decision, not ours.
What forum are you on? :lol I don’t need posting instructions from you… secondly I’m not being childish. You come on here and post things and the results are incongruous at best. Sometimes the information is good and other times I haven’t a godawful clue what you are talking about. For example… just today you said “Carr will go to 62!” And a couple hours later it’s become “I hope they don’t hire Carr!” Huh?
I don’t think you get but that’s your thing. We will just agree to disagree! God bless you my friend.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:45 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:43 pm
Rate This wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:34 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Rate This wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Rate This wrote:
CircleWXYZ wrote:
tivoking wrote:

I don’t think you get but that’s your thing. We will just agree to disagree! God bless you my friend.
So if anybody tries to push back on you we have to agree to disagree? We can’t have a back and forth exchanging ideas?

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:52 pm

As for their newsroom, some say it’s the same newsroom that WKBD used years ago. Is this the newsroom that was used in the 1980, shown in this clip?

https://youtu.be/1_QLcy8tki8

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:59 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:52 pm
As for their newsroom, some say it’s the same newsroom that WKBD used years ago. Is this the newsroom that was used in the 1980, shown in this clip?

https://youtu.be/1_QLcy8tki8
It looks like they had what was a fairly common setup at the time with a desk and the newsroom in the background. Judging by the walls near the ceiling that may be the same room.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I loved the look of the TV 50 ten o'clock news during that era (late 80s). The opening theme music is terrific, the quality of reporting was excellent, and the on-air "look" was top notch for the era.

By 1999 or so, the quality of that newscast had eroded immensely.

Why did Roger McCoy leave WKBD for WILX in Lansing? I hated the on-air look of WILX after their move from Jackson to Lansing. That first news set of theirs from the new building on the south side of Lansing was hideous. Hated the new logo, too.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:54 am

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

CBS News Detroit Set To Launch

https://www.nexttv.com/features/cbs-new ... -to-launch

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:16 pm

January launch date is official!!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:00 pm

I think it debuts either January 9th, 16th, or 23rd. I’m learning towards January 23rd.

I also love how they forgot to mention that It will be at 6 and 11 pm on weekends, with Terell Bailey being the weekend anchor.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:23 pm

New CBS graphics are beginning to roll out. Here’s an idea what the graphics on WWJ’s CBS News Detroit will look like, coming in January.

https://youtu.be/i0Ue1DxboeA

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:51 pm

Looks similar to what Detroit NOW is currently using.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:29 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmXC-s7O-tg ... RmMjhlYjM=

She’s from Fox 23 in Oklahoma. Another decent hire.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:40 am

I think my bathroom is bigger than their crappy newsroom-style set:

We get to look at a polished concrete floor and a workstation in the background with about four PC docking stations on it.

The area to the left looks like an office lobby or waiting area. The only thing that is missing is the reception desk. I guess that's what they'll use for interviews? Is that what we'll see in the background when the anchor seated on the left side of the anchor desk is on camera? An empty table and chairs?

This is going to be such a colossal dud. Too bad, because a number of the people they hired are talented. The way they configured that space is beyond idiotic.
Indeed, WWJ newscasts won’t be traditional, and they won’t be overly polished. “We’re showing the public that people are working,” Watson said. “We’re Detroiters. We’re gritty.”
The "non-traditional" formula almost always fails in epic fashion. See FOX 46 in Charlotte, or better yet, WXYZ's first year doing the 10PM news on channel 20 (man, was that cringe worthy).

Hey, maybe 62 can bring back Rob Parker's "Barbershop Sports." :rollin

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:40 am
I think my bathroom is bigger than their crappy newsroom-style set:

We get to look at a polished concrete floor and a workstation in the background with about four PC docking stations on it.

The area to the left looks like an office lobby or waiting area. The only thing that is missing is the reception desk. I guess that's what they'll use for interviews? Is that what we'll see in the background when the anchor seated on the left side of the anchor desk is on camera? An empty table and chairs?

This is going to be such a colossal dud. Too bad, because a number of the people they hired are talented. The way they configured that space is beyond idiotic.
Indeed, WWJ newscasts won’t be traditional, and they won’t be overly polished. “We’re showing the public that people are working,” Watson said. “We’re Detroiters. We’re gritty.”
The "non-traditional" formula almost always fails in epic fashion. See FOX 46 in Charlotte, or better yet, WXYZ's first year doing the 10PM news on channel 20 (man, was that cringe worthy).

Hey, maybe 62 can bring back Rob Parker's "Barbershop Sports." :rollin

I get what you are saying. However, I’m just going to keep an open mind. CBS did invest millions in this. So I think it could eventually catch on. As a start up, it will be a right fit for it. Just have to be patient as far as finding it’s audience.

I remember how rough it was for WOIO in early 1995. It took years for them to find their audience.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic