Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm

Other than a NEXT Weather promo (which made no mention of the news brand), I've seen no ads for CBS News Detroit so far during the NFL telecast.

It is halftime right now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:11 pm

Not a single promo for the local newscast launching tomorrow during the football game, which will likely be one of the top three most watched programs on 62 all week (the football game, not the newscast).

I guess 62 only runs local newscast promos two, three, four or five months ahead of launch. 🤪

Nate Burleson is talking right now on the NFL post-game show. Hopefully 62's local news launch won't be as f*cked up as the way Burleson's NFL career ended. Didn't he injure himself in a car accident on 696 because a leftover pizza was about to tip over on his passenger seat, and he decided to try to save the pizza instead of steering his car?

thekman

Post by thekman » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:40 pm

SBaxley wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:23 pm
Hmm..interesting find on Vimeo, seems the local news drought COULD be at an end at CBS O&O WWJ TV
don't know how to do the URL of the site the video was on, its on vimeo .. but in essence, looks like CBSN DETROIT is about to be a reality and thus CBS62 NEWS as well
It will have only taken 489 days from the date of the original post, for the 62 news drought to finally come to an end.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:19 pm

Yeah Burleson missed 7 games due to that traffic accident and it was his last year in the NFL. He was already on the decline and was positioning himself for his post football career in media at that time.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:52 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm
I've seen no ads for CBS News Detroit so far during the NFL telecast.
I have discussed this with some. There is a possibility that they want to get this thing launched and get the bugs out first. These things always happen. When I was at 7 when we changed equipment especially these things would happen and that would be on top of starting a new show or using a new set for the first time. Again I state this as just a possibility. Wouldn't you rather make your unintentional mistakes in secret which leads to a smoothing out and then shout hey look what we're doing.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:13 pm

Luke wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:06 pm
Streaming

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/live-detroit/
Is that actually working for anyone else? I don't get any audio, and the "play" icon stay in the middle of the video, even though the video is already playing.

EDIT - nevermind. Got it working now. Seems like it just took a while to get "active" after it all finally loaded.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:43 pm

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

CBS News Detroit Launching Tonight

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/arti ... g-tonight/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:04 pm

I hate the camera angles. The narrow design of the working newsroom, coupled with the brick wall overhang, gives a claustrophobic feel to the viewer. Truly awful design.

2, 4 and 7 have absolutely nothing to worry about. No one is going to watch this gimmicky product.

What is the point of the overhead camera shots? Looks like a drone is taking them.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:17 pm

This is a trainwreck.. I get it. Its the first run and everyone is nervous.

But they had months to rehearse. This should have been Emmy winning.

The newscast is riddled with technical mistakes, black holes, the pacing is slow.

The desk camera shot feels off center. Am I wrong? Something doesnt feel even.

The reporting is awful.

Most importantly, it feels like a traditional newscast. Nothing stands out. That was the point. Different.

Am I missing something?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:19 pm

I like the bland wall and empty chairs behind the sports anchor. Great look.

The extended forecast graphic has too much blue, and the LED screen on which it is presented has too much ambient light reflecting off it.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:19 pm
I like the bland wall and empty chairs behind the sports anchor. Great look.

The extended forecast graphic has too much blue, and the LED screen on which it is presented has too much ambient light reflecting off it.
I hope they put it up somewhere so it can be viewed later... it sounds like a disaster worth viewing for the shortcomings alone!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:28 pm

You can always watch at 11 tonight!

I think the CBS News Detroit bug should be even bigger! Why not give it a full 20 percent of the screen (sarcasm)? Graphic package is pretty much the same lame stuff found on channel 50 at 10PM.

The anchor table in the newsroom is simply a bad idea given the newsroom's unaccommodating dimensions.

Channel 50 had a real news set during the late 90s, and Sports Xtra had its own set back then, too. That studio space must still exist. It should be renovated and utilized.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:39 pm

They are not using a green screen for weather graphics, but the weather person stands in front of a monitor and you can see wires coming out of the back. The graphics of a monitor shot with a camera are somewhat blurry, and the contrast is badly adjusted and the whites are blown out. Embarrassing for a CBS owned station.

The revolutionary concept: the male news, sports, and weather anchors ARE NOT WEARING NECKTIES!

Worst of all, the show was boring.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Excellent points. I agree wholeheartedly with everything stated, with the exception of the "boring" remark.

The low quality of the product in and of itself made it somewhat captivating, at least to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic