Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
whitebalance

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by whitebalance » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:53 pm

I don't like the casual look. Wear a tie. Set looks cramped. Not impressed with the blue suits at CBS. CBS 4 in Miami has a better look. The TV 50 Ten O'clock News with Howard Lancour and Tommy MacIntyre looked better..
Wendy McMahon has some work to do.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:00 pm

The positioning of the news desk is bizarre. It looks crooked. The exposed steel beams to the left of the anchor desk are especially annoying and distracting.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:50 pm

I thought from going from nothing to something brand new they did a pretty good job. I liked the depth of the set instead of the typical background being relatively close to the anchors. I have sat in the TD chair when a new show begins and/or with new equipment and given that I think despite a couple clip issues they should be pleased. They can always fine tune some of the shot angles. They can switch to chroma key for weather when they're ready.

I thought the talent performed like they had worked at other stations. When WGPR-TV62 took a stab at news decades ago you would have thought they acquired teenagers from Channel 11 in Alpena. I didn't detect a nervousness in this anchor group. I equate that to the fact they are probably experienced anchors from somewhere and they made good use of their rehearsal time. I hope they stick to just the two shows until they are comfortable with what and how they are presenting their news.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:59 pm

Courtesy: Detroit Free Press

CBS News Detroit to debut 2 local weeknight newscasts, with plans for more

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 830403007/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:06 pm

The news and weather anchors performed well, all things considered.

If the whole room were deep, I'd have no issue! That left side stuck out like a swollen sore thumb, though. I agree with the earlier post that described the look as cramped.

They should use a chroma key wall for the primary weathercast.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:49 pm

Consider yourself lucky to be watching Ahmed Bajey doing the weather. Watched him for years on the Flint TV station he came from - he’s really good. Has a pleasant down to earth delivery and makes the weather forecast easy to understand.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:50 pm

In case you missed it…

https://youtu.be/PGU68zwx-Do

SD45

Post by SD45 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:12 pm

Why was the Belleville football coach story so early in the newscast. High school football was over Thanksgiving weekend, so I really don't give a damn now. Belleville went 14-0 and won the state title. I already knew that.

They will never cover local breaking news based on these story selections. Thats why I watch the news, but its like Groundhog Day around Detroit covering the police and fire departments.

Luke

Post by Luke » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 pm

SD45 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:12 pm
Why was the Belleville football coach story so early in the newscast. High school football was over Thanksgiving weekend, so I really don't give a damn now. Belleville went 14-0 and won the state title. I already knew that.

They will never cover local breaking news based on these story selections. Thats why I watch the news, but its like Groundhog Day around Detroit covering the police and fire departments.
That’s because what we watched wasn’t as much a newscast as it was an infomercial for themselves. They had to figure out a way to get Ronnie on the air at the beginning of the newscast along with Ahmad. They were more concerned about promoting themselves than serving the viewers best interest, which is troubling. Notice how they gave extra promotion to the reporters after they signed off? How about instead of telling us how you’re going to do the news you just do the news.

edj

Post by edj » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:43 pm

This is almost as bad as when WADL partnered with the Macomb Daily fora short lived newscast. I would expect this from market 113, not 13.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:27 pm

The desk is in a very weird spot. The lead story was badly done and in an inappropriate spot anyways. I'm not clear what the guy did... Yikes. And I'm only 6 minutes in. Now we are in Des Moines talking about the shooting there...

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:45 pm

Also they have Gino Vicci... is that the only person who has been somewhere in the market before?

SD45

Post by SD45 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:10 pm

Ahmed grew up in Dearborn. Does that count?

I consider Gino Vicci more from his WNEM time. I dont think he lasted very long at WXYZ.
Last edited by SD45 on Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:12 pm

SD45 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:10 pm
Ahmed grew up in Dearborn. Does that count?

I consider Gino Vicci more from his WNEM time. I dont think he lasted very long at WXYZ.
I was under the impression it was a couple years... CJ might be able to tell us...

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:22 pm

Apparently a memo was sent out to not wear ties and try really super extra hard to "look casual".
Shaina Humphries looked quite hot and professional. I'd tune in just for her.
Always a sign of a top notch production when you can see extension cords etc. in the broadcast. :lol

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic