Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 am

I have no issue with the casual dress code. The hideous aesthetics of the set and wishy washy content? That's a different story.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:54 am

Look at the sets of CBS 4 in Miami. CBS 's. KCAL in Los Angeles and WSVN 7 Miami. Those are sets, not discounted furniture from Gardner White in a garage setting.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:10 am

For the first day, they actually didn’t do too bad. The delivery was definitely on point. Not used to the newsroom set up, but for this new style of news, I actually like it.

Still some kinks to work out but I’m sure they will over there next few months. It’s going to be interesting how they do the morning newscasts in the spring.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm

I cannot imagine watching a morning newscast from that gloomy looking set.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:30 am
I have no issue with the casual dress code. The hideous aesthetics of the set and wishy washy content? That's a different story.
The weather man reminds me of Ryan Ermanni as both are obnoxious.

The set is different. I would rather have them behind led panels with pictures of Detroit rotating.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:19 pm
I cannot imagine watching a morning newscast from that gloomy looking set.

They already have the graphics for the morning newscast and it’s coming very soon. I know the 5 pm newscast is coming soon as well. Going to be interesting to see where they move Dr. Phil.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:49 am

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:56 am

I caught just a few minutes of the broadcast yesterday, and I agree with MW in that the set looks cramped. I think Shaina did a good job in that little segment but didn't see enough of the others to garner an opinion.

I do not like the casual look. Maybe they don't need suits and ties, but something a step up from the "casual Friday" look.

I saw Ahmad walk from the desk over to a TV to do the weather and that looked very cheap. Just a TV on a stand 10' away. If they had just cut to him at the TV it might not have looked as bad.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:51 am

Many of you may have noticed that the 10PM Channel 50 news which I watched last night has the same graphics except instead of CBS Detroit it says Detroit Now or Now Detroit. Obviously the story clips are the same for both. They used the same horizontal slide from camera to story and back. They do use a chroma key for their weather. I have a feeling that (and this is just a guess) in the current CBS Detroit studio setup their isn't a place for a green chroma key background. The only place I can think of where they might put it is way off to the right where I think their weather computer controls are located. It is way off to the right and not included in any of the wide shots. If they put it where the current weather flat screen is it would look bad with the wide shots they like to use especially during the "weather walk".

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:47 pm

Just saw their coverage of the State of the State address and I must say, I’m very impressed. Not only are the anchors seasoned veterans, they both actually know this area very well, given Jeff is originally from Philly and Shaina who also worked in Philly, was born and raised in Chicago. The fact that both of them know this area well is a major plus. The guests they had were impressive. I know for a fact now that CBS is very serious about being a big player in the Detroit market and serious about news. Things look bright for the future.
Last edited by Deleted User 7620 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:51 pm

At least they put on ties today.

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 pm

I cannot watch the weather segment. Ahmad Bajjey is too obnoxious and cocky. CBS needs to dump him and put Karen Carter in charge.

OnTopic

Post by OnTopic » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 am

Michiganviewer wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 pm
I cannot watch the weather segment. Ahmad Bajjey is too obnoxious and cocky. CBS needs to dump him and put Karen Carter in charge.
He seemed knowledgeable but I do not know where he seemed cocky. Do you have examples?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:52 am

I think Ahmed is a very good forecaster and broadcaster, and I disagree with the critique above.

The station needs to give him a better setup for delivering his weathercast. The current setup is garbage.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:53 am

the fact that both of them know this area well is a major plus...
They had plenty of time to do research since their daypart launched news several months behind schedule.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic