Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Tman

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Tman » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:20 pm

It just doesn't feel local to me .

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:08 pm

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap

Looks like CBS News Detroit at 4 debuts next Monday, February 6th. That was quick lol.

Also read they want their full 4 am-11:30 newscast lineup to be on the air by March. Explains the recent anchor hires, especially the one from Minneapolis and another 👀

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 am

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Talking TV: CBS Goes Live With News At WWJ Detroit

After months of building a newsroom from scratch, CBS’s WWJ Detroit flipped the switch on its first newscasts last week. Adrienne Roark, president of CBS Stations; Brian Watson, VP and GM of WWJ; and Paul Pytlowany, its news director, make the case for how its community-based approach to reporting will differentiate the station. A full transcript of the conversation is included.

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/arti ... j-detroit/

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:23 am

Don’t be shocked if the morning newscasts comes in the next couple weeks. The anchor job position is now filled and they still are looking for a weather anchor. I feel that position is for the weekends, hence why it’s posted. I think Kylee Miller is going to do mornings.

IMO, Karen Carter prefers to do pre tapes and online segments for CW 50. I think the evening position was offered to her but turned it down. Could be wrong though.

Sounds like they want all of the traditional timeslots to be filled by March.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:56 am

SixPlusOne wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:58 am
Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Talking TV: CBS Goes Live With News At WWJ Detroit

After months of building a newsroom from scratch, CBS’s WWJ Detroit flipped the switch on its first newscasts last week. Adrienne Roark, president of CBS Stations; Brian Watson, VP and GM of WWJ; and Paul Pytlowany, its news director, make the case for how its community-based approach to reporting will differentiate the station. A full transcript of the conversation is included.

https://tvnewscheck.com/journalism/arti ... j-detroit/
Very good interview!!!

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:26 am

If they need a morning weather person why not Ben Bailey? Is he un-hirable due to the companies vaccine policy?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:31 am

Tman wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:20 pm
It just doesn't feel local to me .
I think that is partly because they have zero local talent at the station that anyone would recognize or relate to. I guess Ahmad Bajjey sorta counts as a local talent, but other than him, they have no one. CBS has had every opportunity in the world to bring in major-market Detroit talent like Ben Bailey, Christy McDonald, Frank Turner, Kevin Dietz, ML Elrick, Robin Schwartz and it seems they are going with either B-tier talent for their multimedia journalists or getting a few major market names from the 3rd or 4th rated stations in major markets.

If I was CBS I would scrap this thing and start over brand new and reformat the product entirely. The biggest changes I would make would be the following things. First, the addition of a traditional news set that actually makes this product look like a big-time, major market local news operation. Scrap the high school AV room look and build yourself a news set just like 2/4/7 and every other station, in every other market has. Again, they can all this a working newsroom all they want, but to the average viewer, it doesn't come across that way, instead it looks low budget. On that note, I watched the station's 11pm newscast the other night and there were literally ZERO PEOPLE working on the CPUs in the newsroom behind the anchors. How is it a working newsroom when the newsroom is empty? While we're add it, change the acoustics and audio setup on the new set so the anchors actually sound clear and get yourself a proper greenscreen for weather forecasts. Having a giant TV to do the weather on looks b-tier and cheap.

Second, add an investigative journalism team, and create more longform, in-depth content and stories. I would still have your traditional today's top stories, breaking news, and weather/traffic type of a newscast. What I would change though is to add investigative stories and longform, in-depth content to every newscast. I would do what Channel 7 had in its prime with Steve Wilson, Heather Catallo, and their Channel 7 Investigators team from the 2000's era. Their reporting on the Kwame Kilpatrick saga and other big local stories was second to none around town. I feel CBS Detroit would do well to emulate that and try something different to draw viewers in, but I could be wrong there. I would also develop a separate show, replacing my 6pm newscast, that only focuses on investigative journalism and longform content. When I say longform content I am talking about the types and length of stories you'd see on a VICE News or 60 Minutes. 5:00am to 7:00am would be your traditional morning news show. 12:00pm for the the noon news. 5:00-6:00pm for the after work news. 6:00pm would be different and feature more of the longform stories and investigative reports ala a VICE News Tonight type of show. Then 11:00pm would be back to the traditional night time approach.

I'd love for them to hire 4-5 journalists and a matching set of producers whose jobs it would be to do real investigative journalism and create longform content for their newscasts. I'm just picking names out of a hat, but Kevin Dietz, ML Elrick, Scott Lewis, Steve Wilson, those are the types of people with experience in creating investigative and longform content for local news that I'd love to see brought in. I'd also add in some younger, fresher faces who are hungry to go out there and make a name for themselves by creating power, interesting local content.

In conjunction with building out a real investigative news team I would hire some local names that people recognize and scrap the multimedia journalist, imbedded in a community approach. If Sandra Ali comes in that is a decent start. When others contracts come up in the future here locally CBS should be aggressive in trying to pry them away from 2/4/7. I would replace their MMJs with traditional, on-the-scene reporters like every other station in America has.

Newsman123

Post by Newsman123 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:26 pm

OMG.. Do I have to spell it out to you all again. THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR TALENT.
Veteran reporters and anchors cost money. They are bringing in reporters who must shoot and edit, and work for 70-90K. The names you mentioned are all 200K a year and up talent. Except for Frank Turner who was in Flint.
Ben Bailey walked away from a 400k plus job. Morning weather at this place will likely pay 130-150k. Why would he do that?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:52 pm

Newsman123 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:26 pm
OMG.. Do I have to spell it out to you all again. THEY ARE NOT PAYING FOR TALENT.
Veteran reporters and anchors cost money. They are bringing in reporters who must shoot and edit, and work for 70-90K. The names you mentioned are all 200K a year and up talent. Except for Frank Turner who was in Flint.
Ben Bailey walked away from a 400k plus job. Morning weather at this place will likely pay 130-150k. Why would he do that?
And, honestly, none of them are worth that!

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 pm

I strongly disagree with the notion that they have no talent. Shaina Humphries, Rachelle Graham, and Terrence Friday all have talent. For a man who’s transitioning from being a sportscaster to being a news anchor, Jeff Skversky isn’t doing a bad job at all.

As for the pay, Jeff, Shaina, and Terrence all came from top ten markets. Jeff and Shaina came from a top five market. For them to go from a top five market to the number 13/14 market, there has to be a lot of money involved. I think Jeff, Shaina, and Ahmad were all offered a lot of money. I think Terrence was too.

As for Shaina Humphries, she was a guest co-host for the Talk last Monday. For CBS to ask her to do that was pretty significant. She has a lot of talent. We should enjoy her while we can, because I can see her going to WBBM, KCBS or WCBS in a couple years. She’s originally from Chicago as well.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:25 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:23 pm
I strongly disagree with the notion that they have no talent. Shaina Humphries, Rachelle Graham, and Terrence Friday all have talent. For a man who’s transitioning from being a sportscaster to being a news anchor, Jeff Skversky isn’t doing a bad job at all.

As for the pay, Jeff, Shaina, and Terrence all came from top ten markets. Jeff and Shaina came from a top five market. For them to go from a top five market to the number 13/14 market, there has to be a lot of money involved. I think Jeff, Shaina, and Ahmad were all offered a lot of money. I think Terrence was too.

As for Shaina Humphries, she was a guest co-host for the Talk last Monday. For CBS to ask her to do that was pretty significant. She has a lot of talent. We should enjoy her while we can, because I can see her going to WBBM, KCBS or WCBS in a couple years. She’s originally from Chicago as well.
Yep. When I saw that I thought to myself "Damn, I guess she wont be around long." She checks a LOT of boxes and is everything those type of folks are looking for. Hopefully we get to have her for at least a couple of years.

tvmusic

Post by tvmusic » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:28 pm

I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far with their newscasts. The anchors are very good, nice graphics, and good story selection. I feared it would be filled with mostly soft features instead of timely hard news (example CW50). Not the case here. Also found watching from their website to be very easy and it works each time! Only complaint is they don’t give sports scores. Would it kill them to say Red Wings beat Buffalo 4-2 today, Pistons are off but play in Atlanta tomorrow. “We got highlights” would be nice to hear too. Maybe they don’t have highlights agreement with Bally’s yet. Not sure if this no scores thing if a national tread or an oversight. No sports at all during 5 p.m. when they have a whole hour? Be nice to have a web link to reruns of full local newscast when their running the national feed. Btw, my sister hated the no-ties on anchors look.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:23 pm

tvmusic wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:28 pm
I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far with their newscasts. The anchors are very good, nice graphics, and good story selection. I feared it would be filled with mostly soft features instead of timely hard news (example CW50). Not the case here. Also found watching from their website to be very easy and it works each time! Only complaint is they don’t give sports scores. Would it kill them to say Red Wings beat Buffalo 4-2 today, Pistons are off but play in Atlanta tomorrow. “We got highlights” would be nice to hear too. Maybe they don’t have highlights agreement with Bally’s yet. Not sure if this no scores thing if a national tread or an oversight. No sports at all during 5 p.m. when they have a whole hour? Be nice to have a web link to reruns of full local newscast when their running the national feed. Btw, my sister hated the no-ties on anchors look.
In fairness 7 hasn’t done sports at 5 for years.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:48 pm

CBS News Detroit at noon debuts next Monday, February 13th. Terrence, Rachelle, and Kylee Miller did the 4pm newscast today. Kylee Miller is the midday meteorologist.

https://tvlistings.gracenote.com/grid-a ... aid=gapzap#

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:31 pm

https://youtu.be/Z-rIv9VxJBI

The 4pm newscast in its entirety.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic