Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:21 pm

Been hearing January 23rd for the launch. Waiting for confirmation though. Rehearsals will be either next week or the week after. I also think a couple of the reporters getting stranded because of Southwest set things back a few days. I know anchor Jeff Skversky was stranded in St. Louis for days. I believe he just got back.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:24 am

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:21 pm
Been hearing January 23rd for the launch. Waiting for confirmation though. Rehearsals will be either next week or the week after. I also think a couple of the reporters getting stranded because of Southwest set things back a few days. I know anchor Jeff Skversky was stranded in St. Louis for days. I believe he just got back.
It's a ten hour drive. You'd have to be pretty desperate to fly in a plane to be "stranded" for days in St Louis!

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:55 pm

Do they even have enough employees to fill all the seats at that conference room table? :lol
...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

LiveEye57

Post by LiveEye57 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:02 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:55 pm
Do they even have enough employees to fill all the seats at that conference room table? :lol
To be fair I think that table's been there since the 90s, when WKBD probably employed more people.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:14 pm

We were having a chat at work about local news and all that. And since this thread is about The New 62, I'll throw it out here.
What do y'all thing about, when The New 62 comes out of the closet, they do just local news, and only local news?
Metro Detroit, Lansing, Michigan, maybe northwest Ohio and the Sun Parlour on the other side of un détroit.

That's it.

Skip reporting all the Washington Follies. Don't mention any mudslides down Lombard Street.
Basically if Norah O'Donnell is going to talk about when it's her turn, forgettaboutit.
Do you think such a move (which they would never do) would help or hinder ratings?

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:39 pm

Are you going to just keep telling the same 5 stories over and over for 2.5 hours? National stories fill time.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:03 pm

Luke wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:39 pm
Are you going to just keep telling the same 5 stories over and over for 2.5 hours? National stories fill time.
Not true.
There was a time when staff from different parts of town would stop at 7-11 on the way in and pick up a local newspaper.
Livonia Observer. Michigan Daily, Macomb Daily, Downriver's paper. The Monroe Evening News, etc.
And someone would sit down, read the papers and write stories out of them. On their own.
Many of the papers had "Off The Blotter". All the police and fire calls on one page. DoiH.
It was easy to come up with a couple of hours of local news without repeating a single story.

And the sad thing is, every one of the aforementioned papers has a website.
With all the local news online. How difficult would it really be to copy and paste the stories?

Herm

Post by Herm » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:24 am

Circle Seven wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:03 pm
Luke wrote:
Not true.
There was a time when staff from different parts of town would stop at 7-11 on the way in and pick up a local newspaper.
Livonia Observer. Michigan Daily, Macomb Daily, Downriver's paper. The Monroe Evening News, etc.
And someone would sit down, read the papers and write stories out of them. On their own.
Many of the papers had "Off The Blotter". All the police and fire calls on one page. DoiH.
It was easy to come up with a couple of hours of local news without repeating a single story.

With all the local news online. How difficult would it really be to copy and paste the stories?
Are you really suggesting that local TV journalists should copy and paste stories from other local news outlets?

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:28 am

Herm wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:24 am
Circle Seven wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:03 pm
Luke wrote:
Not true.

Are you really suggesting that local TV journalists should copy and paste stories from other local news outlets?
Maybe not that per se… but there are a lot of stories they used to do and digging they used to do that they just don’t anymore. Particularly involving investigating the government and companies and hounding the hell out of people. Think Steve Wilson chasing Kwame around. Some people have written before that it will cause the outlets to get cut off by whoever they are hounding… maybe so but you can make that hurt whoever cuts you off.

You can get ideas and get your own take on stories that way. There are 4 million people here… you can’t find 30 minutes worth of material?

Michiganviewer

Post by Michiganviewer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:51 am

I did not see any promotions for the cbs local news when watching the Detroit Lions on cbs. That is prime time to do advertising with 300,000+ people watching.

Circle Seven

Post by Circle Seven » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 am

Herm wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:24 am
If you've been hanging around Harry's old farm more than about 15 years or so, you should remember when the morning anchors would read almost verbatim articles from the different local newspapers.

Grandma turned 100.
A goat climbed up on the roof of a house. Madonna look alike contest coming up at the Yale Bologna Festival.

Quirky stuff that, believe it or not, people were interested in.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:58 pm

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Inside The Rebranding Of CBS-Owned Stations

https://www.newscaststudio.com/2023/01/ ... ng-design/

thekman

Post by thekman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:45 pm

Circle Seven wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:14 pm
We were having a chat at work about local news and all that. And since this thread is about The New 62, I'll throw it out here.
What do y'all thing about, when The New 62 comes out of the closet, they do just local news, and only local news?
Metro Detroit, Lansing, Michigan, maybe northwest Ohio and the Sun Parlour on the other side of un détroit.

That's it.

Skip reporting all the Washington Follies. Don't mention any mudslides down Lombard Street.
Basically if Norah O'Donnell is going to talk about when it's her turn, forgettaboutit.
Do you think such a move (which they would never do) would help or hinder ratings?
I would be vastly more willing to give this newscast a try if this were the case. Most national or political news stories I’ve already seen 17 times via Twitter, Facebook, internet, phone push notifications, etc.

The only newspaper I still read with regularity is the Sterling Heights Sentry, because it’s one of the few options to learn about what is happening in my neighborhood.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:56 pm

Maybe they should can NextDoor for stories?

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:00 pm

Will CBS Detroit News have any investigative news team or journalists? It would be nice to have a Steve Wilson, Bill Spencer, Scott Lewis type reporting and investigative journalism coming from a local news station once again. CBS has always seemed to focus on hard news, in-depth reporting, and investigative journalism with 60 Minutes and CBS This Morning. So is there any hope of investigative journalism being apart of this station?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic