Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
km1125

Re: Hmmm,is the news drought at CBS62 about to come to an end?

Post by km1125 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:15 am

I'm confused by what's going on at WKBD now and how it's going to 'integrate' what what's going to be launched at CBS62.

Will what WKBD migrated to over the last couple months be dumped when CBS62 gets launched, or is what's on WKBD some precursor insight into the product at CBS62?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Late September is a good guess. Also gives time to work out kinks before November sweeps.
Detroit has been a metered market for 25 years, data is collected 48 weeks a year and advertising rates are set by that. The old sweeps period are for bragging rights in the paper. They would do well to put a product out ASAP to harvest the political money that will dry up after November 8th.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:39 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:47 pm
Late September is a good guess. Also gives time to work out kinks before November sweeps.
Detroit has been a metered market for 25 years, data is collected 48 weeks a year and advertising rates are set by that. The old sweeps period are for bragging rights in the paper. They would do well to put a product out ASAP to harvest the political money that will dry up after November 8th.
While having a local news op would certainly remove any doubt that the availabilities and time sold will go by in large right to the bottom line, is it really a prerequisite for cashing in on the political money? Is it the only local origination vehicle they have to tap that rev stream because running a news op has it's own expenses and overhead cutting into the revenues?

Just asking.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Local News gives you an audience that is more likely to vote and flexible inventory. During political season the news stations will clear as much as 4 minutes an hour in extra sales inventory from news content. Individual candidates get charged the lowest rate but PACs and ballot referendum ads get charged what the market will bear.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:39 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:54 pm
Local News gives you an audience that is more likely to vote and flexible inventory. During political season the news stations will clear as much as 4 minutes an hour in extra sales inventory from news content. Individual candidates get charged the lowest rate but PACs and ballot referendum ads get charged what the market will bear.
Understood. So what you're saying is a new local newscast despite what the run rate is to launch it, let alone keep the cameras turned on, is still more lucrative than pitching buys on the local "Good Morning, Happy Day Detroit" or whatever it's called, even though the expenses for it have already been baked in the cake? Seems crazy to me.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:15 pm

It's inevitable that CBS will lose money for a while as they try and establish some market share but losing out on the political revenue in 2022 and having to wait until 2024 for the political cash grab is a tough situation to be in. Political ads are what's keeping the local stations profitable now.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:26 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:15 pm
It's inevitable that CBS will lose money for a while as they try and establish some market share ...
I must be the only one here on Buzzboard that thinks The New 62 will leapfrog Fox2 in amount of viewers two days after they debut. And leapfrog Broadcast House within six months. Guess I'm higher than the cost of living.

dial-it-in

Post by dial-it-in » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:42 pm

In The Bleachers wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:26 pm
Editorcj wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:15 pm
It's inevitable that CBS will lose money for a while as they try and establish some market share ...
I must be the only one here on Buzzboard that thinks The New 62 will leapfrog Fox2 in amount of viewers two days after they debut. And leapfrog Broadcast House within six months. Guess I'm higher than the cost of living.
I actually hope youre right. Maybe that happening will result in some changes at Fox2. I think they could basically start over...except Deena! Shes the only one worth watching.

Deleted User 15783

Post by Deleted User 15783 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:54 pm

dial-it-in wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:42 pm
I actually hope youre right. Maybe that happening will result in some changes at Fox2. I think they could basically start over...except Deena! Shes the only one worth watching.
I've said it before on here (and got promptly shot down by a few) that fresh faces is what gets viewers to change channels. It's human nature to be curious about something new.

I truly feel Fox2 should of brought a new couple in after Perkins and Gayle retired. I think The New 62 will prove whether I've been right all along, or it's not genetic that my eyes are brown.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:17 am

I must be the only one here on Buzzboard that thinks The New 62 will leapfrog Fox2 in amount of viewers two days after they debut. And leapfrog Broadcast House within six months.

Deleted User 15840

Post by Deleted User 15840 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:23 pm

I truly think the ratings for news on 62 will suck from beginning to end.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:39 pm

I’m thinking that once people see how good Rachelle Graham is (and being incredibly attractive doesn’t hurt) at delivering the news, plus how personable and down to earth Ahmed is in doing the weather, people may change their viewing habits

Luke

Post by Luke » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:24 am

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:10 pm

So, they poached someone from channel 7. I knew I recognized that name. The plot thickens. :)

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:52 pm

So, they poached someone from channel 7. I knew I recognized that name. The plot thickens. :)
Gino hasn't worked for channel 7 in 4 years. Nice guy, hope he does well but poached isn't the word I would use.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic