Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

lack of radio posts

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Greg Buben

lack of radio posts

Post by Greg Buben » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 am

As everybody knows the Detroit area is the largest market in Michigan with lots of radio stations. Recently the posts
I've seen are all about TV and a bunch of nonsense. Radio is an exciting subject and yet you Detroit area participants
aren't discussing all of your radio options. You Detroit area people should say something interesting even if it may not
mean much. After all this is the "Radio and TV Buzzboard",
Greg Buben

SoutheastMIViewer

Re: lack of radio posts

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am

Too Many commercials on the radio and the same song is always played when commercials are not on.

When I drive for 15-20 mins into work and commercials are the only thing playing on the 10 preset radio stations. I turn off the radio.

Now internet app radio stations are a good option. RadioTunes is my top app. They have a classic Motown station.

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:43 am

Radio ain't what it used to be. I can get my news in a variety of places, I can get my music from a variety of places.
Radio will never die (I don't think) but it has been become a bit player in the world of music, news and information. Sports is one thing it can offer to people who aren't in front of a TV or whose team isn't on TV.
Other than driving in the car I never listen anymore. I don't even own a radio other than the one built in to my phone.

I no longer directly engage trolls

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:56 am

Detroit Radio is BORING, with too many stations being more than 50% voice-tracked. They are just cash-cows for Audacy, iHeart, and Beasley, with too few local personalities. They are milking the pandemic as an excuse for not bringing more local talent back, while they line their pockets more than ever! :barf

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 pm

SoutheastMIViewer wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:17 am
When I drive for 15-20 mins into work and commercials are the only thing playing on the 10 preset radio stations. I turn off the radio.
Exactly. And who "mobile" is listening to 12 commercials in a row?

I've asked this question before on here and no one knew the answer:

What percentage of the people listening to commercial radio are listening on a reciever on a shelf? And what percentage are listening in their car with preset buttons?

If others are like me, the preset gets pushed as soon as the commercials starts.

If I was an advertiser, this percentage I'm talking about would be a very important thing to know. Because IMO that's a percentage of the people out there that's not listening to the spot I'm paying for.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:53 pm

Greg Buben wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 am
Recently the posts I've seen are all about TV and a bunch of nonsense. Radio is an exciting subject and yet you Detroit area participants aren't discussing all of your radio options.
Your point has merit. Sometimes we get off track from Radio & TV and that includes me. I think radio doesn't change that much over time. Air talent can change. Programs can change. Ownership of stations can change. Television in the Detroit market can change in the same way that I listed for radio in Detroit. In other words our overall subject is somewhat thin or narrow. Sometimes we make guesses and/or speculate or pass on a rumor regarding this or that but after all is said and done news within radio and TV in this market is intermittent.

Majik

Post by Majik » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:06 pm

As a listener who has tuned in on the Detroit market since the late 1950’s, I can attest that this market is a shadow of what it used to be. I suspect that is probably true all across this nation. This area was once considered to be at the top of the game…lots of great talent and programming. There was a vibrancy that is now missing to my ears. I’ve reached a point that I don’t care much anymore. In this modern age there are many other options to devote my interest toward. I am just glad that I was around for the glory days. To those who are satisfied with the current state of the situation, more power to you and enjoy it as you see fit.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:35 pm

non-anon bob wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:56 am
Detroit Radio is BORING, with too many stations being more than 50% voice-tracked. They are just cash-cows for Audacy, iHeart, and Beasley, with too few local personalities. They are milking the pandemic as an excuse for not bringing more local talent back, while they line their pockets more than ever! :barf
Agreed. There is very little locality to any radio nowadays. Regardless of where you are at in the U.S., every Audacy, every iHeart, and ever Beasley station within the same format sounds almost identical. And even if you're lucky to find a jock that's local and not voicetracking, there is very little connection with the audience, just calls out to their web presence, or referencing a national contest.

Thankfully, if you travel to some of the small towns throughout the U.S. and listen to stations not owned by the big companies, you still can find local flavor...and it feels like the stations actually care that you're listening.

Hey Beau on 104.3 - can you play "Don't Stop Believing?" :barf

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:01 am

Well, to be fair, there really isn't much to post. Radio is usually what I'm posting about here, but what is there to talk about? This is about the usual day in radio:

*syndicated morning show with 6 people talking

*Bon Jovi plays

*sports betting app commercials

*out of town DJ talks about something irrelevant

*Bon Jovi plays

*7 minutes of commercials

*Dahmer (you want local talent? Here ya go!)

*Def Leppard plays

*everyone is in commercial at once

*phoner for "can you play 'Back In Black'? I haven't heard it in 20 minutes!"

*request hour with maybe 2 or 3 (not too deep) requests

*alternative station plays CHR music

*one of 6 country stations

*Motley Crew plays

So it's a small wonder why radio threads are few and far between.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

G G

Post by G G » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:07 am

Greg Buben wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:05 am
As everybody knows the Detroit area is the largest market in Michigan with lots of radio stations. Recently the posts
I've seen are all about TV and a bunch of nonsense. Radio is an exciting subject and yet you Detroit area participants
aren't discussing all of your radio options. You Detroit area people should say something interesting even if it may not
mean much. After all this is the "Radio and TV Buzzboard",
Greg Buben
How about you start the discussion, Buben? Make some engaging threads and maybe people will chip in. Don't criticize when you aren't a part of the solution, Buben.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:39 am

In what used to be PREMIER radio market, a no-talent hack such as Jade Springhart now handles middays at WRIF. Abrasive voice with zero inflection when she speaks. She just "drones" when she talks. Dry, boring content, too.

Instead of on-air capability being the most important consideration when making a hire it is now secondary or even tertiary. If you can do something else at the station (social media, marketing, music scheduling), you'll be handed an air shift even if you suck at it.

'Nuff said.

Former WKQI jock "Stick" is another individual who never would've been able to work on-air weekdays in this market 20 years ago.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:37 am

Speaking of abrasive voices, who's the screechy shrew doing midday's on WOMC?
Nails on a chalkboard voice aside, she comes across completely unlikeable.
That they put that on and pull a 7 share tells you everything you need to know about Detroit radio.

hmtb44

Post by hmtb44 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 am

At this point with a couple of morning show exceptions... my radio is usually tuned in to 89.5 WAHS

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:32 am

armchair pd wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:37 am
Speaking of abrasive voices, who's the screechy shrew doing midday's on WOMC?
Nails on a chalkboard voice aside, she comes across completely unlikeable.
That they put that on and pull a 7 share tells you everything you need to know about Detroit radio.
Not sure why they wouldn’t have given middays to Pam Rossi, who does a great job IMO.

Lickalime

Post by Lickalime » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:24 am

I used to love Detroit radio. It's quite boring now. If I am in my car and the radio is on I'm listening to 107.1 Ann Arbor

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic