Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Carolyn Clifford being inducted into Michigan Hall of Fame

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario

Herm

Re: Carolyn Clifford being inducted into Michigan Hall of Fame

Post by Herm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm

I know that this thread will probably end up filled with people’s opinions of Carolyn’s on-air delivery. I’ll accept that opinions vary and everyone is entitled to theirs.
Personally, I think she’s great on air. She has paid her dues. She nails cold reads often and she is really quick on her feet. There’s no other anchor I’d rather work with in a breaking news situation.
Behind the scenes… she is hands down the greatest anchor I’ve ever worked with. She is a total pro. She treats everyone with respect. She is as real as they come. I’m glad I’ve had the opportunity to work with her and she totally deserves this honor.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 am

I wonder if they can get Monica Jackson to hand out the award?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:22 am

Herm wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:47 pm
.... There’s no other anchor I’d rather work with in a breaking news situation.
Behind the scenes… she is hands down the greatest anchor I’ve ever worked with ....
So Herm. You actually work at Broadcast House? Not just a bystander like the rest of us? There's a question I had awhile ago that even EditorCJ said he wasn't sure of.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:41 am

drew10219 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 am
I wonder if they can get Monica Jackson to hand out the award?
Is there an inside joke there that I didn't get?

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 am

There was a physical altercation between Clifford and Jackson (she was the morning traffic reporter if I remember right). Jackson was asked to not come back. It's got to be close to 20 years ago when that happened ... but it was fodder for Drew and Mike for quite awhile after.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:09 pm

Congrats to Carolyn! She deserves it, a very nice lady as well.

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:44 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:22 am
Herm wrote:
.... There’s no other anchor I’d rather work with in a breaking news situation.
Behind the scenes… she is hands down the greatest anchor I’ve ever worked with ....
So Herm. You actually work at Broadcast House? Not just a bystander like the rest of us? There's a question I had awhile ago that even EditorCJ said he wasn't sure of.
What’s up?

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 am

Herm wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:44 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
What’s up?
Thanks for the reply. My question is this:

Is WXYZ at liberty to show GMA on one of the sub-channels or TV20, and keep the local news at 7-1?
I'm not asking should they. I'm not asking would they. I'm just curious could they.

I had asked this after a ratings post came out a year or two ago now. In that ratings, Fox2 was ahead of the pack after 7am. I often pondered (I'm no media expert, just pondering) if the reason is because the average viewer has already seen enough national news from 4:30am to 7am. Or maybe don't care about the national news that much to begin with. By 7am, Fox2 is more local contact. More chit chat, what's happening in Detroit, TMZ type stuff, goofy videos off a satellite, sit around laugh and talk, that sort of thing.

Just pondered in the past what would be the pros and cons of 7 Action News staying put after 7am with the same sort of flavor as Fox2 does after 7am.

I think one of the things I said in a previous post was "If you take away what the local news has already told us before 7am, GMA and Today are basically "Good Morning New York".

The last few paragraphs are just kind me of explaining why I was wondering. Your station may never do this. And your station probably has good sound reasons not to do such a thing. But like I said, I'm not really asking would they or should they. Just could if they wanted.

Thanks

G G

Post by G G » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Herm wrote:
There’s no other anchor I’d rather work with in a breaking news situation.
I can name 3 others off the top of my head who run circles around her.

Someone needs to fix the ventilation at broadcast house because it sounds like they're breathing their own farts again.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:27 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:50 am
Herm wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:44 pm
Mike Oxlong wrote:
What’s up?
Thanks for the reply. My question is this:

Is WXYZ at liberty to show GMA on one of the sub-channels or TV20, and keep the local news at 7-1?
I'm not asking should they. I'm not asking would they. I'm just curious could they.

I had asked this after a ratings post came out a year or two ago now. In that ratings, Fox2 was ahead of the pack after 7am. I often pondered (I'm no media expert, just pondering) if the reason is because the average viewer has already seen enough national news from 4:30am to 7am. Or maybe don't care about the national news that much to begin with. By 7am, Fox2 is more local contact. More chit chat, what's happening in Detroit, TMZ type stuff, goofy videos off a satellite, sit around laugh and talk, that sort of thing.

Just pondered in the past what would be the pros and cons of 7 Action News staying put after 7am with the same sort of flavor as Fox2 does after 7am.

I think one of the things I said in a previous post was "If you take away what the local news has already told us before 7am, GMA and Today are basically "Good Morning New York".

The last few paragraphs are just kind me of explaining why I was wondering. Your station may never do this. And your station probably has good sound reasons not to do such a thing. But like I said, I'm not really asking would they or should they. Just could if they wanted.

Thanks
I’m not completely in the know about the deals but I think the answer is no.
I imagine that WXYZ needs to carry GMA, World News Tonight, Primetime, and Late Night programming in order to maintain its affiliate status with a limited amount of pre-empt opportunities.

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:28 pm

G G wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:54 pm
Herm wrote:
There’s no other anchor I’d rather work with in a breaking news situation.
I can name 3 others off the top of my head who run circles around her.

Someone needs to fix the ventilation at broadcast house because it sounds like they're breathing their own farts again.
Um… sure.
I was just giving my opinion.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:13 am

Herm wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:27 pm
I’m not completely in the know about the deals but I think the answer is no.
I imagine that WXYZ needs to carry GMA, World News Tonight, Primetime, and Late Night programming in order to maintain its affiliate status with a limited amount of pre-empt opportunities.
Ok. Thanks for the reply.

RadioMax

Post by RadioMax » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:02 pm

I like Carolyn. Well deserved.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:39 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:48 am
There was a physical altercation between Clifford and Jackson
An honest to goodness "Dynasty" style cat fight.
:hat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic