Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Good news for U-M football fans who listen on the radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Good news for U-M football fans who listen on the radio

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:51 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:07 am
97.1 The Ticket will be simulcasting most games this season, I believe. The same arrangement was also in place for last year's abbreviated (and horrible) season.

Whenever there is a conflict, 104.3 WOMC will be the spillover station.

Was surprised to see no Big Rapids or Mt. Pleasant stations on the affiliate list. 790 WSGW works for Mt. Pleasant for daytime games (and to a lesser extent, 1300 WOOD and even 950 WWJ), but their signal in Mt. Pleasant is useless from near sundown onward.

Also, only two affiliates in the ENTIRE upper peninsula?!?!

Whomever is responsible for managing the radio network needs to get off his or her useless ass and do some work! I'm glad there's at least an FM simulcast in SE Michigan. Listening to sports on crappy, staticky, antiquated AM radio sucks!
As you know, WWJ on this side of town can be hit or miss at best. 1050 is the better option where I am, but those night games...you can forget either one.

Why not put them on Alt? Might get them out of the 1 share doldrums 😂

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:23 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:24 am
Matt's right, 1050 airs them.

I had NO idea they were on WXYT FM. I listened on WWJ at home before we left, and figured if it's there, at best it's on WOMC and it wasn't. Wish I would have checked 😡

Edit: I'm fairly sure I've heard UM hoops on W4 but that could be a lapse in memory. Wouldn't hurt W4 to carry football games; God knows they're not the ONLY choice fot country music around 😎
Basketball is at least sometimes on W4.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:27 am

Matt wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:51 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm
Jim Brandstatter - who was a very capable color commentator but is a truly awful play by play man - is retiring at the end of this season.

Let's hope his successor is someone far more talented (hopefully it's not the guy who does play by play for basketball these days; he sucks).

Unfortunately, the excellent Dan Dierdorf is also retiring at the end of the season.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 729905001/
I'd be shocked if Jon Jansen isn't the new color commentator.
My first thoughts too. Former UM football player, well-known to sports radio listeners, strong voice, and he has that confident air of superiority that is required of any UM football broadcaster.

J-Ten

Post by J-Ten » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:42 pm

Doug Karsch and Jon Jansen taking over

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:09 pm

Fuck me with a chainsaw.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm

I sure hope Doug Karsch is not the new play-by-play guy. How the fuck is he qualified for that role? His hoarse smoker's voice would sound terrible doing play-by-play.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:15 am

WOOD 1300 comes in best during Critical Hours there. The WOOD ground wave is far below M-3 prediction. See the WCCW 50 kW Day application and CP from 10+ years ago for those details.

WWJ fades a lot in Central Michigan.

WSGW has been reported on Lake Shore Drive East of tall buildings in Chicago in the Daytime by Larry Langford, Jr. and other Chicago Area DXers. Years ago, in the late 1960s, my cousin's boyfriend reported hearing the Tri City Apollos PBP at Night near Chicago Circle on WSGW.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

sfpcc1

Post by sfpcc1 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:50 am

A Lot of people in the Upper Peninsula root for Wisconsin teams.

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:27 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm
I sure hope Doug Karsch is not the new play-by-play guy. How the fuck is he qualified for that role? His hoarse smoker's voice would sound terrible doing play-by-play.
You must have him mixed up with someone else. Dan Leach perhaps? Karsch does the sideline reporting for the U-M games right now. Karsch and Jansen sound like the favorites.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:24 pm

Doug Karsh, who I believe is an MSU grad, should have his degree revoked. That would be like Bob Ufer doing OSU games!

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:24 pm
Doug Karsh, who I believe is an MSU grad, should have his degree revoked. That would be like Bob Ufer doing OSU games!
Frank Beckmann says hi.

I don't blame Karsch for not wanting to associate with msu. I think he went there because they have a journalism school.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:10 pm

I'm aware of who Doug Karsch is, transistor. Both he and Dan Leach have horrible smokers voices.

Karsch is fine as a sideline reporter; he is unfit to do play by play.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:37 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:07 am
97.1 The Ticket will be simulcasting most games this season, I believe. The same arrangement was also in place for last year's abbreviated (and horrible) season.

Whenever there is a conflict, 104.3 WOMC will be the spillover station.

Was surprised to see no Big Rapids or Mt. Pleasant stations on the affiliate list. 790 WSGW works for Mt. Pleasant for daytime games (and to a lesser extent, 1300 WOOD and even 950 WWJ), but their signal in Mt. Pleasant is useless from near sundown onward.

Whomever is responsible for managing the radio network needs to get off his or her useless ass and do some work! I'm glad there's at least an FM simulcast in SE Michigan. Listening to sports on crappy, staticky, antiquated AM radio sucks!
Also, the Traverse City area has a pathetic affiliate! The official affiliate is WJML/WJNL, but that might be the worst station in TC that actually is consistently on the air! The other options are a rimshot WQON, a rimshot WKAD, or a deep rimshot WKZC (which also sometimes skips games). At least MSU managed to get on Z93 up there.

Even though it'll never happen, I'd love to see U-M football get on WTCM-FM, as that would serve as the affiliate for not only Traverse City and Cadillac, but Manistee, Ludington, Big Rapids, and Houghton Lake as well!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:10 pm

It is streaming again on Audacy.

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:57 pm

FM coverage is via WOMC tonight.