Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Good news for U-M football fans who listen on the radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Good news for U-M football fans who listen on the radio

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm

Jim Brandstatter - who was a very capable color commentator but is a truly awful play by play man - is retiring at the end of this season.

Let's hope his successor is someone far more talented (hopefully it's not the guy who does play by play for basketball these days; he sucks).

Unfortunately, the excellent Dan Dierdorf is also retiring at the end of the season.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 729905001/

moldyoldie

Re: Good news for U-M football fans who listen on the radio

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:18 pm

Now if only George Blaha would hang 'em up for MSU football. :rolleyes And also Pistons TV, for that matter. He was good back in the day...no more.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Have you never cared for Mr. Blaha's work, or has his performance slipped in recent years due to his age?

His Pistons broadcasts aren't terribly enjoyable these days - I agree - but I think that has much more to do with the product on the court and Blaha having to suffer through it year after year.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:23 pm
Have you never cared for Mr. Blaha's work, or has his performance slipped in recent years due to his age?
Definitely the latter. He was on top of the action in real time when he was at his best. I never see/hear that anymore; it seems he's always several seconds behind the action now, if he's on the action at all! He needs to retire.

Whoever thought he'd be good at football PBP was sadly mistaken...big time!

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:51 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 pm
Jim Brandstatter - who was a very capable color commentator but is a truly awful play by play man - is retiring at the end of this season.

Let's hope his successor is someone far more talented (hopefully it's not the guy who does play by play for basketball these days; he sucks).

Unfortunately, the excellent Dan Dierdorf is also retiring at the end of the season.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 729905001/
I'd be shocked if Jon Jansen isn't the new color commentator.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:09 pm

Dierdorff and Brandy both sound like they are about to die on air. Especially Brandy huffing and puffing his way through the game.

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:25 pm

End of of an era should always be respected and savored. I remember listening to HOF Ron Santo's last broadcast for the Cubs on an overcast fall day and it being his last.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:12 pm

Here's a question

I was streaming WWJ this afternoon and they had the game audio. At halftime, I went to my mother in law's house and turned it off. When I left and attempted to stream it again, it was coverage of that Godawful CBS Sports Radio programming. AM in my car can be flimsy at best, so I was happy to hear it streaming. I got there just as the half ended so it should have been the 3rd quarter. Tell me it's an Audacy fuck up.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:25 pm

Whoa - that's wild. Not sure what happened there.

97.1 The Ticket aired today's game in entirety, so AM radio wasn't your only option in terms of terrestrial radio.

Doesn't one of the FMs in Ann Arbor also carry the games?

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:13 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:12 pm
Here's a question

I was streaming WWJ this afternoon and they had the game audio. At halftime, I went to my mother in law's house and turned it off. When I left and attempted to stream it again, it was coverage of that Godawful CBS Sports Radio programming. AM in my car can be flimsy at best, so I was happy to hear it streaming. I got there just as the half ended so it should have been the 3rd quarter. Tell me it's an Audacy fuck up.
All of the Tech Ops positions at WWJ were eliminated long ago. In the past, there was always someone there to fix a problem like that. Or, prevent it from happening in the first place.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:25 pm
Whoa - that's wild. Not sure what happened there.

97.1 The Ticket aired today's game in entirety, so AM radio wasn't your only option in terms of terrestrial radio.

Doesn't one of the FMs in Ann Arbor also carry the games?
I believe WTKA 1050 carries the game.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:40 pm

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

BillT

Post by BillT » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 pm

It could be much worse, they could hire Lomas Brown to do the games!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:24 am

Matt's right, 1050 airs them.

I had NO idea they were on WXYT FM. I listened on WWJ at home before we left, and figured if it's there, at best it's on WOMC and it wasn't. Wish I would have checked 😡

Edit: I'm fairly sure I've heard UM hoops on W4 but that could be a lapse in memory. Wouldn't hurt W4 to carry football games; God knows they're not the ONLY choice fot country music around 😎
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:07 am

97.1 The Ticket will be simulcasting most games this season, I believe. The same arrangement was also in place for last year's abbreviated (and horrible) season.

Whenever there is a conflict, 104.3 WOMC will be the spillover station.

Was surprised to see no Big Rapids or Mt. Pleasant stations on the affiliate list. 790 WSGW works for Mt. Pleasant for daytime games (and to a lesser extent, 1300 WOOD and even 950 WWJ), but their signal in Mt. Pleasant is useless from near sundown onward.

Also, only two affiliates in the ENTIRE upper peninsula?!?!

Whomever is responsible for managing the radio network needs to get off his or her useless ass and do some work! I'm glad there's at least an FM simulcast in SE Michigan. Listening to sports on crappy, staticky, antiquated AM radio sucks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic