Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jack Morris suspended

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
DAC

Re: Jack Morris suspended

Post by DAC » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:33 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:19 pm
lidoshuffle wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:14 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:01 pm
A bunch of white men disagree that another white man needs abar training?

MLB won't survive economically when announcers make fun of one their major fan bases. Optics alone mandates this training. It also lays the ground work to fire him with cause if it happens again.

TC Talks, just admit you hate white men, if you had your way, you'd be a Transgender African American male into a female, ready to marry a Guatemalan national who just crossed the border down near El Paso and you both are rooting for the Taliban to succeed in Afghanistan...
There are a number of old white men who are complete assholes. I'm not upset they're getting called out about it now. I think my disfavor is with assholes. 85% of white men are completely normal and thoughtful people.

What this guy did was offensive. Professionals in the broadcast industry have already learned to behave appropriately and apparently he has not. That's on him. He works for the advertisers and they won't put up with this anymore.
So why do you get a pass on the "asshole" thing?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:49 am

DAC wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:33 am
Why?

A) I don't
B) This isn't my job
C) This forum has always been a place to debate issues with clarity. Insult is often the price of clarity.

If this guy wants to keep his job, he will learn to behave in a way that a respectful society expects. I don't make that decision, but I support it wholeheartedly.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:39 pm

Everything seems to have gone to the opposite extreme- is there no middle ground anymore? Next, will Millionaires be offended if he says in Elmer's voice: " I own a mansion and a yacht"??

DAC

Post by DAC » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:50 am

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:49 am
DAC wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:33 am
Why?

A) I don't
B) This isn't my job
C) This forum has always been a place to debate issues with clarity. Insult is often the price of clarity.

If this guy wants to keep his job, he will learn to behave in a way that a respectful society expects. I don't make that decision, but I support it wholeheartedly.
A very kindly worded response. But I still overall disagree. We're all flawed. Should we take a pound of flesh from everyone who slips up on the job? Yes, it's not your job, but what if some day your inner baseball genius is discovered and you have a chance at a big league commentary job? Should something you may or may not have said back in 2004 cost you the opportunity? To me, this plays against what *should* be the forgiving nature of society. Now, we can't wait to shoot someone down! Ha ha ha! Got another one! You're cancelled, Jack!

As an aside, how do we pick and chose what is forgivable and what isn't? I submit one Marion Barry.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:03 pm

TC Talks wrote:
As for me, I believe I just cannot be convinced that Morris was not doing Elmer Fudd. And I truly feel his comment was not intended to be derogatory in any way towards anyone on the field.
Sorry, it's how I see it.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:33 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:03 pm
TC Talks wrote:
As for me, I believe I just cannot be convinced that Morris was not doing Elmer Fudd. And I truly feel his comment was not intended to be derogatory in any way towards anyone on the field.
Sorry, it's how I see it.
Great, unless you are his boss, all our opinions are just that.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Many media professionals get second chances
As an aside, how do we pick and chose what is forgivable and what isn't? I submit one Marion Barry
Again, Jack is an employee, Marion was a politician.

― Noam Chomsky

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Which, when elected, become an employee.

Elmer Fudd is an iconic figure. He should be above reproach in any circumstance.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:21 am

Well, let's see, Jeopardy! still gonna be playing Guest Host routine again, so does Jack have a shot at it, or does Elmer Fudd ruin his chance with Sony and Jeopardy!? You know who would have been really great at that job: Bill Bonds- but, he couldn't make it thru one episode without ripping the writers a new one for the way that they worded a clue or give the stink eye to a greedy contestant who didn't like Bill's shouted "Wrong" response to wrong questions.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:47 am

Bryce wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:27 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Which, when elected, become an employee.
Not exactly. There is no one to fire a mayor, only recall.

― Noam Chomsky

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:58 pm

Al Right!! Jack is Back.

The 'statement' he gave at the start was probably something that management told him to do if he wanted to keep the job.

Jack said nothing racist.

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:11 pm

He did. I'm sorry you're either ignorant or stupid. Probably both.

riggs

Post by riggs » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 am

What Jack did was stupid and wrong, but I don't think it was mean-spirited and that's the important difference. Thom Brennaman was mean-spirited in what he said. For Jack, it was a poor attempt at humor. He got too comfortable. You know that when you are with your friends, you take shots at each other, sometimes over religion, nationality, weight, and things like that. I know Red Wings players used to tease their Russian teammates all the time, but it was good-natured and when a couple of non-Russian Wings went to Russia with the Cup, they returned the favor. Well, Jack wasn't with his buddies, he was on the air and it was wrong. Ohtani heard of it and said he wasn't offended. I am glad he got a second chance. I am getting sick of people having everything ruined over one mistake. That said, I don't think Jack is a very good color commentator, he's very good at stating the obvious. Dan Petry and Craig Monroe are better and Kirk Gibson is good at pointing things out, often before they happen, but you can tell on some days it's a struggle for him (A major Parkinson's symptom is extreme fatigue).

There is a difference between a one time stupid remark and a history of being awful (See: Ryan Adams).

I miss Rod & Mario. I don't care if they didn't get along, they were pretty good together and even the times when it was obviously chilly between them, they still worked well together. That whole incident with the shoving in Chicago got blown out of proportion. Whoever leaked that to the media is a fucking asshole, you don't do that to people in your field. In my radio career I've seen plenty of physical altercations off the air. The two parties usually got separated and everyone cooled off. Nobody needed to report it.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

thekman

Post by thekman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:56 pm

riggs wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:45 am
What Jack did was stupid and wrong, but I don't think it was mean-spirited and that's the important difference. Thom Brennaman was mean-spirited in what he said. For Jack, it was a poor attempt at humor. He got too comfortable. You know that when you are with your friends, you take shots at each other, sometimes over religion, nationality, weight, and things like that. I know Red Wings players used to tease their Russian teammates all the time, but it was good-natured and when a couple of non-Russian Wings went to Russia with the Cup, they returned the favor. Well, Jack wasn't with his buddies, he was on the air and it was wrong. Ohtani heard of it and said he wasn't offended. I am glad he got a second chance. I am getting sick of people having everything ruined over one mistake. That said, I don't think Jack is a very good color commentator, he's very good at stating the obvious. Dan Petry and Craig Monroe are better and Kirk Gibson is good at pointing things out, often before they happen, but you can tell on some days it's a struggle for him (A major Parkinson's symptom is extreme fatigue).

There is a difference between a one time stupid remark and a history of being awful (See: Ryan Adams).

I miss Rod & Mario. I don't care if they didn't get along, they were pretty good together and even the times when it was obviously chilly between them, they still worked well together. That whole incident with the shoving in Chicago got blown out of proportion. Whoever leaked that to the media is a fucking asshole, you don't do that to people in your field. In my radio career I've seen plenty of physical altercations off the air. The two parties usually got separated and everyone cooled off. Nobody needed to report it.
Amen, Amen, Amen.

I miss Mario and Rod too. I really liked Mario, whom I think was much better than Shep.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:23 pm

GERTNER:

I am neither ignorant nor stupid. Apparently, I have different politics than you.

Jack did nothing wrong. Somebody just screamed 'racist' when he said something they didn't like.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic