Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Jack Morris suspended

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MasterB

Re: Jack Morris suspended

Post by MasterB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:43 pm

I see nothing wrong with what Jack Morris said was just cartoon voice be very very careful is not racist. I hate PC culture/madness this is what is the problem with this country.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

BME

Post by BME » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:07 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:43 pm
I see nothing wrong with what Jack Morris said was just cartoon voice be very very careful is not racist. I hate PC culture/madness this is what is the problem with this country.
Well, he happened to use the alleged Elmer Fudd voice with Ohtani at bat. So ...

GSC

Post by GSC » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:12 am

paul8539 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:29 pm
Who was it that originally objected to his statement? Sounds to me like somebody is being overly-sensitive.

I have no problems with what he said. The person that he supposedly insulted said that he had no problems. Who has the problem?

If what Morris said was racist, then McHale's Navy, Combat!, Tour of Duty, Hogan's Heroes, and other shows could also be considered racist. Yet they are still on the air.

Elmer Fudd has not been suspended either.

Bring Jack back.
TOTALLY AGREE!!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:36 am

Mocking a Japanese player with a condescending accent like in old films when they used to make fun of Asians? Yes

It didn't seem very offensive to me, but it wasn't directed at my ethnicity.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHuZ_Cf-D8k

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Morris may be a bit at fault, I'll get into that.

Myself, I've watched the video posted earlier in this thread. I myself am convinced he was doing Elmer Fudd. The phrase he said is what Elmer has said in probably every cartoon he's ever been in. Morris, to me, sounded like he was trying to do Elmer, not anyone from anywhere along the Pacific Rim.

What's interesting to me is why didn't he say so during his heartfelt rebuttal? Seems thinking of doing that would of nipped the whole controversy in the bud.

Or did someone from the Tigers organization hand him a prepared statement before he even realized he made what some perceived as a faux pas. And you say what your employer tells you to say.

Thunderstorm

Post by Thunderstorm » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:47 pm

Shohei Ohtani said he later heard the remarks made by Morris while he was at bat, which imitated an Asian accent, and said he wasn’t offended by it, going so far as to compliment Morris as "a big influence in the baseball world."

"I did see the footage and I heard it. Personally, I'm not offended and I didn't take anything personally," Ohtani said, according to The Athletic. "He is a Hall of Famer. He has a big influence in the baseball world. It's kind of a tough spot."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:01 pm

He's not going to touch that issue with a 10-ft pole.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:09 pm

Wonder how many of the offended people used to love and laugh at Robin Williams? Accents were half of his act. Mike Valenti had the best comment though. If Morris gets fired it should be for his work in the booth. Just coasting on his laurels with no real insights.

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 pm

It's 2021. Be better. And fuck off with the Elmer Fudd shit. Really. The ONLY time Jack uses that voice it's with Ohtani. Quit tripping over yourselves to justify this nonsense.

And for the record, I dont think he should be fired for this.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:27 am

I thought Jack's comment was hilarious. All you PC folks need to get over it. I'm half Italian and half Polish, and I could care less if people call me a Wop, Dago, or Polack. I'm an American, and that's all that matters to me! :8)

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:38 am

Gertner wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:44 pm
It's 2021. Be better. And fuck off with the Elmer Fudd shit. Really. The ONLY time Jack uses that voice it's with Ohtani ....
Ok. So you are saying Morris has used this voice before with Ohtani?

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:25 pm

I'm saying he's never spoken in that voice once before Ohtani.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:46 am

I support a lot of "wokeism", but this was a crock of shit. It was very clearly an Elmer Fudd impression. He said he was sorry. Should have been a 3-4 game suspension at most.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

SoutheastMIViewer

Post by SoutheastMIViewer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:56 pm

Wait, I see this always done by Gen z on tik tok from them lip syncing foreign accents. What did jack do wrong?

If you don’t have a mask covering your exhaust pipe on the car, you are not trying to stop global warming by preventing the harmful emission particles from spraying out!

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:19 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:46 am
I support a lot of "wokeism", but this was a crock of shit. It was very clearly an Elmer Fudd impression. He said he was sorry. Should have been a 3-4 game suspension at most.
Same here, and truthfully the second that Ohtani said he wasn't even offended by the supposed "remarks", that should have assuaged everyone's concerns right then and there. Morris should've been pulled for at least a couple games and told, "hey, you need to watch what you say on the mic; don't say anything that could come off the wrong way."

Also I'm not sure I want to be in a world where there are people who haven't even heard of Elmer Fudd, much less Looney Tunes. Then again, a lot of the shit in it wouldn't fly today... which I totally understand.

take this job and shove it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic