Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

T. J. Lang In, Tony Ortiz Out As Lions Sideline Analyst

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Trophyhead

T. J. Lang In, Tony Ortiz Out As Lions Sideline Analyst

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:39 pm

The Audacy release makes no mention of Tony's removal from these duties, but, they have plenty to say about former All-Pro lineman and late career Lion T.J. Lang coming in to be the guy on the sideline.
https://www.audacy.com/971theticket/spo ... the-ticket

I thought about putting this update in an existing thread talking about Ortiz as a sports reporter on WWJ/The Michigan News Network, but for the Eastern Michigan grads out there (Lang's college team) and Brother Rice faithful (his alma mater), this gets its own space.

Lang will also guest on Stoney's morning show, and Mike Valenti's air time each Monday and Friday during the Lions' season.

MichMash

Re: T. J. Lang In, Tony Ortiz Out As Lions Sideline Analyst

Post by MichMash » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:03 pm

Considering Ortiz's radio presence of late has been strictly on WWJ 950 newscasts, this is the most prominent piece of evidence yet that his Audacy duties are transitioning away from sports and into news. It's been a few months since he stopped doing the (now very brief) sports updates at :23-:53 on WWJ or the :30-:60 updates on 97.1. The only question I would have is, did Ortiz choose this transition for himself or did Audacy management do it for him?

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:20 pm

According to MLive's article acknowledging Lang, Ortiz wasn't part of the Lions broadcast team in the entirety of the Lions' deal with WJR (2016-20). I surely remember Sean Baligian and Steve Courtney on halftime and postgame over that span, let's say that was my excuse for scant listening and non-recollection, regarding Tony.

I can change the headline on this, if it seems like piling on a guy who had sports duties, and now doesn't.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Ortiz is awful doing regular news. He's a nice guy, and this is pretty stupid to do for a pretty loyal consistent guy.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:23 pm

I assure you prime daypart news anchors on WWJ make significantly more money than a guy who does nothing more than provide a few minutes' worth of content an hour.

Sports update desk jobs are being reduced. This move for him (to PM drive news co-anchor) not only increases his job security, he probably got a nice raise, too.

For having been in his new role for only 30 days or less, I think he sounds OK. Some of the segues between segments have been a little choppy, but I've already noticed some improvement in his oratory skills. I think he'll do fine in his new role.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:36 pm

I like Tony Ortiz. I think he has a great delivery for news. Let him get acclimated to it and I think he will do fine.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:24 am

I've said it before on here. I'd rather have analysis from someone who has actually thrown a ball or slapped a puck. Instead of someone who started as a cub reporter in high school.

riggs

Post by riggs » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:01 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm
Ortiz is awful doing regular news. He's a nice guy, and this is pretty stupid to do for a pretty loyal consistent guy.
Give him a little time, for crying out loud.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:08 pm

I thought that Ortiz lost his sideline gig when the Lions changed stations because they were upset with Valenti's comments about them a couple of years ago. It's come full circle because Lang has been with Valenti as a guest many times.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:56 pm

riggs wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:01 pm
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm
Give him a little time, for crying out loud.
I will. It's just cringey.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic