Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What is the purpose of local radio anymore?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
jadednihilist

What is the purpose of local radio anymore?

Post by jadednihilist » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Back in the day when radio was less automated, you'd usually hear somebody in the studio providing weather updates as conditions warranted. This area has been slammed with unusually extreme storms (although tornadoes and wind damage are certainly a "normal" part of Michigan summers). Battery/car radios used to be a nice way to get necessary info or pass the time in the dark. Now, there's next to no connection to the community they serve (aside from stations that have news staff).

The electromagnetic frequencies are public domain, but the element of public service and responsibility continues to vanish.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Deleted User 15621

Re: What is the purpose of local radio anymore?

Post by Deleted User 15621 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:20 pm

Traditional Radio is now no longer needed. With most people, the smartphone has become "the new radio" most everyone I know doesn't even own a radio except in their vehicles. If you purchase a radio today off the retail shelf it's totally garbage from China and doesn't barely pick up any reception. I get all of my entertainment music, radio and even television off my smartphone with the Bluetooth, I connect with my home television set all for $40. a month. My Samsung smartphone gets Samsung TV free with over 160 television channels. There's no need for cable or satellite television anymore, it's all on my smartphone.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Hell, most of the time, if a station goes off the air, nobody knows about it for an hour! Everything in the studios for Dave and Chuck went down the other day and they just talked to keep it on the air. THAT is what local radio is supposed to do. When the computer crashes, you can hear the audience change the channel and money going down the drain. They dump the music missed but make sure to get the spots going as soon as the system is up and running again.

I will say that WHMI is really good around here for the updates and warnings.

https://youtu.be/rY5V6mG7C-A

Imagine if WKRP was a real station in 2021. This certainly wouldn't have happened!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15621

Post by Deleted User 15621 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 pm

If WKRP existed today, Dr.Johnny Fever and Venus Flytrap would be syndicated in most major markets via voice tracking.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:11 pm

Well, since they are an AM station, they would either be silent, Christian or ESPN radio.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15621

Post by Deleted User 15621 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:11 pm
Well, since they are an AM station, they would either be silent, Christian or ESPN radio.
WKRP could have an FM translator, if it existed today.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:18 pm

K.C. Mack wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:20 pm
Traditional Radio is now no longer needed. With most people, the smartphone has become "the new radio" most everyone I know doesn't even own a radio except in their vehicles. If you purchase a radio today off the retail shelf it's totally garbage from China and doesn't barely pick up any reception. I get all of my entertainment music, radio and even television off my smartphone with the Bluetooth, I connect with my home television set all for $40. a month. My Samsung smartphone gets Samsung TV free with over 160 television channels. There's no need for cable or satellite television anymore, it's all on my smartphone.
Agreed. It's just really sad that most stations evolved into such lifeless product of a small music libraries, boring imaging, voice-tracked liners that add little to your day. On air phone calls are fairly rare on music stations. Just imagine how fun it would be upgrading listener interactions to Facetime/Zoom/Skype/Google calls rather than just reading social media comments. I also agree about the quality of television. What used to be a diverse array of shows has turned into the same kind of show on nearly every channel.

For that reason, I too have almost entirely moved to streaming and alternative information sources. It doesn't replace the excitement of old school broadcasting, but it beats the current available products.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:20 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 pm
Hell, most of the time, if a station goes off the air, nobody knows about it for an hour! Everything in the studios for Dave and Chuck went down the other day and they just talked to keep it on the air. THAT is what local radio is supposed to do. When the computer crashes, you can hear the audience change the channel and money going down the drain. They dump the music missed but make sure to get the spots going as soon as the system is up and running again.

https://youtu.be/rY5V6mG7C-A

Imagine if WKRP was a real station in 2021. This certainly wouldn't have happened!
Local small market stations do the best job of keeping the old school radio feel alive. It's nice to hear that WHMI still provides genuine community services beyond the awful Sunday morning shows.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:

But my phone's weather app does it better, and my phone is always with me.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:53 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

That is true, but should I be driving and don't get/can't read the alert, at least they will break in with a break about it. It beats the jock in Nashville who recorded their break two days ago promising me more rawkin' Motley Crue after Poison while the skies turn black.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 9015

Post by Deleted User 9015 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:05 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

It beats the jock in Nashville who recorded their break two days ago promising me more rawkin' Motley Crue after Poison while the skies turn black.
Why are you posting about your experiences on grindr here?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Neckbeard wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:05 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:18 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

It beats the jock in Nashville who recorded their break two days ago promising me more rawkin' Motley Crue after Poison while the skies turn black.
Why are you posting about your experiences on grindr here?
Goddamn it. You PROMISED you wouldn't say anything.

-TurkeyTop

RadioMax

Post by RadioMax » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:07 pm

There is no value in corporate terrestrial radio. The real value is in public and community radio - WDET 101.9, WRCJ 90.9, WUOM, etc, etc.

Deleted User 15688

Post by Deleted User 15688 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:13 pm

I literally threw all my radios in the trash back in 2019. The only radio I own is in my vehicle. Today, I stream all my radio and listen to podcasts. For the most part traditional AM and FM is garbage, if I ever get the urge to listen to local radio it's on my smartphone via an app. This is where local radio is headed. The future is now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic