Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ALT 98.7 reaches new low in June...1.6 Share

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
non-anon bob

ALT 98.7 reaches new low in June...1.6 Share

Post by non-anon bob » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Debbie Kenyon and Tim Roberts need to impress on CEO David Field that ALT 98.7 has NO chance of becoming popular nor profitable in Detroit...Only a "live and local" format change can turn this sinking ship around! https://radioinsight.com/ratings/detroit/

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: ALT 98.7 reaches new low in June...1.6 Share

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:07 pm

I agree that the station is completely hopeless.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:41 pm

I was in Novi for a wedding last night, so I decided to give them a listen while driving around. Lazlo’s show was on and he was talking about forced confessions with what I’m assuming is a guest or the co-host. Can you imagine if this is the first thing a listener hears when they hear about a new Alternative station? Thankfully, 107.1 came in pretty well, so that babbling only lasted a couple minutes for me.

I decided to give them another chance when driving back to the hotel. Heard a couple good gold tracks and then that god-awful “Mood” song followed by a Kid Cudi song. Needless to say, I listened to 107.1 until I got back into Ohio.

They deserve the 1.6 they have.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:09 pm

The fuckin answers are right there in their faces. They keep thinking that whatever "VP and Director in charge of getting the coffee orders right between 8 and 9am" plugging these shitty ass rap songs and Billie Eilish every hour is gonna make shit better. I'm pretty fuckin clueless, too. Give me a job, Audacy.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Gertner

Post by Gertner » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:49 am

Turned it on for a sec yesterday. Two commercials playing over top of each other was the first thing I heard. Tremendous.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:26 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:09 pm
The fuckin answers are right there in their faces. They keep thinking that whatever "VP and Director in charge of getting the coffee orders right between 8 and 9am" plugging these shitty ass rap songs and Billie Eilish every hour is gonna make shit better. I'm pretty fuckin clueless, too. Give me a job, Audacy.
Recently, I've caught the forgotten tune "Meant to Live" by Switchfoot, and "Drive" by Incubus on ALT 98.7. Not sure what this adds to the conversation, other than it clashes badly with the other crapola they are playing.

By the way, Mega, according to Afentra's lawsuit against Entercom, Lazlo's salary is 185K a year. And to think of all the real talent out there that's been shit canned, all because "they make too much money" :x

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:55 pm

I listened to "the Wave" for a while and ist went downhill.
I recall when WBFG was "We Broadcast For God

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:07 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:26 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:09 pm
Recently, I've caught the forgotten tune "Meant to Live" by Switchfoot, and "Drive" by Incubus on ALT 98.7. Not sure what this adds to the conversation, other than it clashes badly with the other crapola they are playing.

By the way, Mega, according to Afentra's lawsuit against Entercom, Lazlo's salary is 185K a year. And to think of all the real talent out there that's been shit canned, all because "they make too much money" :x
Yeah, all those actual REAL talents sitting on the beach. They should have at least one local jock in the studio, a name jock might help (someone known in the format). The gold cuts need to happen way more often. I would bet my next month's salary that if they brought in a local jock, upped the gold, stopped this 2 minute promise shit, got rid of LoseLo, and quit with the soundcloud/tik toc shit, they could easily pull mid 2's, maybe better. Those of us who grew up on that music are in the sweet spot. Maybe pull a few Riff P1s who don't wanna sit through Ratt and Def Leppard just to hear Royal Blood or whatever their name is. That may have helped 89x years ago, too. This gives a better chance to weed out and play the better actual alternative stuff serviced to radio. It's never gonna be an 8 share station or anything like that, but with a strategy like this, it's almost like you WANT to lose.

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:48 pm

You know what? Let me retract my earlier statement a bit. Walk it back some.

I think there was always some misnomers about what was alternative, alternative rock, modern rock and new rock. 89x might have played something Riff wouldn't, Riff might play something the Planet wouldn't, Wheels might have played something 89x wouldn't, etc. I think a playlist with some mainstream stuff wouldn't hurt, either. Mash up the playlist with the heavy hitters of the 90s. Some 00s stuff has to be in there, too. It seems unless you are Linkin Park or Staind or Limp Bizkit, you get bumped off entirely.

Now pardon me while we play "Mood" or "I'm Pink Therefore I'm Spam" again.

-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:48 pm

I think there was always some misnomers about what was alternative, alternative rock, modern rock and new rock. 89x might have played something Riff wouldn't, Riff might play something the Planet wouldn't, Wheels might have played something 89x wouldn't, etc. I think a playlist with some mainstream stuff wouldn't hurt, either. Mash up the playlist with the heavy hitters of the 90s. Some 00s stuff has to be in there, too. It seems unless you are Linkin Park or Staind or Limp Bizkit, you get bumped off entirely.

I’ll summarize that very simply:

Turn Alt 98.7 into an exact clone of SiriusXM’s Lithium. Ratings would shoot up instantaneously

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:10 pm

Realist wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

Turn Alt 98.7 into an exact clone of SiriusXM’s Lithium. Ratings would shoot up instantaneously
Brevity was never my strong suit.

Maybe throw in some Turbo and we have a winner.

-TurkeyTop

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:59 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:10 pm
Realist wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:53 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:

Brevity was never my strong suit.

Maybe throw in some Turbo and we have a winner.
A Turbo clone needs to be 106.7

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm

A "First Wave"/"Time Warp" type show would get me listening. River had Classic Alternative during the noon lunch hours and on Saturday nights, just like the old Planet 96.3. Thankfully 107.1 has some of that stuff on its regular playlist and the syndicated New Wave Nation on Saturdays.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:58 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm
A "First Wave"/"Time Warp" type show would get me listening. River had Classic Alternative during the noon lunch hours and on Saturday nights, just like the old Planet 96.3. Thankfully 107.1 has some of that stuff on its regular playlist and the syndicated New Wave Nation on Saturdays.
Drag your ass outta bed bright and early on Sunday mornings to (maybe) hear some of that stuff. Starts right after the public affairs programming.

-TurkeyTop

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:30 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm
I miss both the Retro Lunch and Time Warp. They played deep cuts quite a bit, some music you don't typically hear on radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic