Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I disagree with our weather forecasters on TV

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: I disagree with our weather forecasters on TV

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:26 am

I agree with BKRPDM about there being more advised and warned high wind events than usual over the past six months.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:30 am

In Kazoo was a guest of 49MPH I thought it should have been a wind advisory.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:52 pm

I used to enjoy watching Paul Gross, because he’s quite sharp in his knowledge of weather. But he seems to go for the theatrics as of late. You better believe if the wind gusts are predicted to hit 35 mph, he’ll be saying could be in excess of 50 mph; and of course ‘(the winds) will be waking you up tonight’, and ‘power outages coming,’ and ‘hazardous driving’….
Last edited by BKRPDM on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:18 pm

Boy did these clowns do a shitty job with today's forecast!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:47 pm

The dopes at channel 7 forecasted a high temp of 62 today (during the daylight hours). I live five miles from Broadcast House. It's only reached 48 degrees so far (it is 47 right now).

Brandon Roux's forecast on Loco 4 was equally as piss poor.

Lake Erie is like a brick wall for warm fronts this time of year when mid level steering winds are lacking. I never doubted the north suburbs would fail to see 60 during daylight today. I did think mid 50s was a possibility, however, for areas west of Telegraph Rd.

The notion of areas along I-69 east of Flint reaching the 50s during daylight hours today was laughable.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:06 pm

Interesting thread!!!

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:17 pm

Another week, another Wind Advisory!
Seems like the NWS tosses this out there very liberally these days.

Also, I’ve seen much increased use of the five-color storm warnings over the past few years.

Keeping us extra safe and informed, or keeping the weather news sensational? Hmmmmm….

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm

I think the wind advisory for tomorrow is definitely warranted. Multiple gusts approaching or exceeding 45 mph appear likely across much of the state.

The over hyping of marginal risk severe wx outlooks can be blamed on the attention whores who run TV newsrooms.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:39 am

My opinion ditch the marginal risk of 5% or less should just be a general thunderstorm. Slight, orange, moderate & high should just be 4 and not 5 in my opinion. NWS got it right taking Michigan out of slight risk socked in the clouds and rain most of the day.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:33 pm
I think the wind advisory for tomorrow is definitely warranted. Multiple gusts approaching or exceeding 45 mph appear likely across much of the state.

The over hyping of marginal risk severe wx outlooks can be blamed on the attention whores who run TV newsrooms.
They only said marginal risk for west of Ann Arbor.

The wind advisory was certainly warranted.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:37 am

Some of the TV folks spent way too much time discussing a severe t-storm risk that was minimal.

Completely agree regarding the wind advisory. NWS didn't do a great job forecasting the precise time window, but the winds were roaring mid & late afternoon yesterday. Metro Airport saw a gust of 58 mph around 6PM yesterday. The highest gust at my house was of similar intensity.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:37 am
Some of the TV folks spent way too much time discussing a severe t-storm risk that was minimal.

Completely agree regarding the wind advisory. NWS didn't do a great job forecasting the precise time window, but the winds were roaring mid & late afternoon yesterday. Metro Airport saw a gust of 58 mph around 6PM yesterday. The highest gust at my house was of similar intensity.
Agreed with the overhype of Wednesday’s storm risks. They correctly assessed the long duration wind events, but until midweek were still calling for mostly sunny days Th and Fr; and not the rain we received for a good part of today (Fr).

I still think that we’ve seen an inordinate amount of wind events since last November.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:22 am

You are correct regarding the wind events; chief meteorologist Ellen Bacca of WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids produced a report that aired during their 7PM newscast this past Thursday about the high frequency of high wind events YTD.

https://www.woodtv.com/video/ask-ellen- ... n/7606432/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:04 pm

I've gotta give channel 4 some credit. They did a pretty good job on the snowfall forecast on the Sunday evening newscast.

The heaviest swath fell a little farther south and west than forecast, but all-in-all, they did a decent job forecasting a tricky system.

Two inches fell on the grass here, which was in line with their forecast (a good amount has since melted). If it were in the upper 20s instead of mid 30s, I bet five or more inches would've accumulated easily.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:34 pm

Snow this late in April is like someone putting ketchup on your hot fudge sundae when you're not looking then you take a spoonful and.... :barf

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic