Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I disagree with our weather forecasters on TV

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15835

Re: I disagree with our weather forecasters on TV

Post by Deleted User 15835 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:50 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:14 pm
Riff Raff wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:29 pm
I get most of my weather from Toledo stations, as it's more relevant then what's going on in Detroit. Anytime the weather gets bad, they start this "First Alert Day" business, it is really annoying.

I'm hoping for an actual fall this year, it seems the last couple years it's gone from 90 to winter. Just as long as we don't get any late season tornados, I still remember the one from 2013, yikes.
Yeah, that November 2013 storm was a bad one. I was watching football at Pub 51 in Northwood when the power went out. Not far away one of the drive in screens in Oregon blew down and a Circle K station in Perrysburg was leveled.

In general, Toledo stations have overhyped the weather ever since the horrible F4 tornado of June 2010, which hit on a Saturday night so wasn't quite covered as well as it should have been. So at times it's led to wall-to-wall coverage on all channels (at least before Sinclair outsourced 24's news to South Bend) any time there's a tornado watch anywhere between downriver and Findlay, or Cedar Point and Indiana.

The "First Alert Days" for heat or cold can be overdone, yeah. But I think our stations do a pretty good job covering the weather, considering the limitations placed on them by the bean counter idiots in charge.
I remember all that very well in 2013, yeah the gas station on 795 and Oregon was destroyed along with debris tangled in the power lines and damage to the industrial park. A guy I know lives down around there.

2010, yeah an F4 hit Mulberry Ohio and destroyed Lake High School on 795, 12 hours before high school graduation. an F4 for NW Ohio is super rare but yeah people still talk about that one, when there are calls for severe weather in The Toledo area.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:59 pm

A decent fail in the forecast today by most outlets? Partly Cloudy w/20% chance of thunderstorms? Uhhh, no.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Rain definitely arrived much earlier than forecast. Areas around Flint and Lansing have been clobbered this evening. There seems to be some mid level energy in the middle of the state that has really caused storms to blossom there. Tons of lightning across the M-52 corridor right now.

Other than the initial surge of rain around 6PM, which brought maybe a half inch of rain to my area, most of the precip has struggled to push east of US 23.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:10 pm
Rain definitely arrived much earlier than forecast. Areas around Flint and Lansing have been clobbered this evening. There seems to be some mid level energy in the middle of the state that has really caused storms to blossom there. Tons of lightning across the M-52 corridor right now.

Other than the initial surge of rain around 6PM, which brought maybe a half inch of rain to my area, most of the precip has struggled to push east of US 23.

Yeah, well, I'm a pubic hair west of 23, and there has been NO shortage of precipitation at my house😒

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:14 pm

The title of this thread perfectly applies to the forecast I got on The Weather Channel last night :lol

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:40 pm

bmw wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:14 pm
The title of this thread perfectly applies to the forecast I got on The Weather Channel last night :lol

Hope you have insurance… :rollin

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:48 pm

Weather channel is wrong SPC has it only 5% tomorrow for Detroit.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:13 am

I don't think there's much of a chance of Detroit or its northern suburbs of reaching the upper 80s today. I disagree with most or all forecasts I saw last night or this morning with regard to high temp.

I think low 80s are doable once this initial batch of storms and debris clouds moves through. The air mass is unstable enough, though, that I think clusters of showers and storms will keep re-firing.

The cold front is just moving into Muskegon and Cadillac as of 1030a.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:01 pm

Has anyone ever compared the "real time" radar images from any of the stations to what is ACTUALLY happening in the air or around their house?

Seems like anywhere I'm at there's a bit of a delay...anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes when you compare a storm front passing overhead.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Went to a Toledo Mud Hens game last night and it started pouring and lightning by the 11th inning. With the 30 minute lightning hold, we ended up leaving by the 11th inning. Yesterday, Toledo stations said the storms would start in the early morning hours of today, although there supposedly was a slight chance for yesterday, about 20%.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:13 am
I don't think there's much of a chance of Detroit or its northern suburbs of reaching the upper 80s today. I disagree with most or all forecasts I saw last night or this morning with regard to high temp.

I think low 80s are doable once this initial batch of storms and debris clouds moves through. The air mass is unstable enough, though, that I think clusters of showers and storms will keep re-firing.

The cold front is just moving into Muskegon and Cadillac as of 1030a.
3pm and 86 here at the airport.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:38 pm

82 on my side of town but very humid. Troy and Selfridge are both sitting at 82 right now.

The dividing line is pretty close to Eight Mile Rd. Mid 80s and one or two readings in the upper 80s to the south of there; low 80s to the north.

The air mass did stabilize more quickly than I expected this afternoon.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:09 pm

Most of the forecasters didn’t predict today’s weather too well, IMO. With the Wind Advisory set for 1AM-1PM, the winds weren’t at advisory level until closer to 7AM, and lessened by 10AM when the advisory was dropped. The only advisory/warning level winds came between 7-8AM with the cold front. At that point the gusts were as high as 56-58mph in some locations, which were higher than the 45-50mph predicted.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:40 pm

Yes, it was windy Wed & early today I didn't think they needed to issue a wind advisory seem to be in and out for an hour or 2 these 2 wind events were nothing. Wind picked up at round 5AM today then was done at about 7AM in West Michigan.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:59 am

Paul Gross's forecast of a couple nights ago for today doesn't seem to be holding up too well. Recall, he called for widespread accumulating snows this afternoon. 😂

Looks like most of the snowfall will occur near and west of M-52 back toward SW Michigan, with greatest accumulation potential from late afternoon into tonight.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic