Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sun 6/20 WDIV weather coverage failure

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Robert Faygo

Sun 6/20 WDIV weather coverage failure

Post by Robert Faygo » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 pm

Oh my freaking god. Enough already whoever is running the shop at Channel 4 on Sunday evening.

Constant beeps and crawls aren't necessary every 90 seconds for a severe thunderstorm WATCH (not warning) during coverage of an unrelated live event.

Just put the little scroller box up with the counties in the warning area and leave it at that.

Wellllll... la de frickin da

SixPlusOne

Re: Sun 6/20 WDIV weather coverage failure

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:01 pm
Constant beeps and crawls aren't necessary every 90 seconds for a severe thunderstorm WATCH (not warning) during coverage of an unrelated live event.
The hate filled news departments want to justify their existence even when you are trying to watch the US Open.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:57 pm

I was going to bring this up. My internet was out for a few hours due to the weather. Anyway, I was up at my parents house for sunday dinner in Bedford twp in Monroe County. My dad was watching the golf on Ch 4 and yeah, it's like "Ok enough with the f---king beeping already!" . My god!

I hope everyone is ok, Hillsdale and Lenawee counties got hit pretty hard from what I've heard.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:44 am

I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those summers where it rains every 24-36 hours, if only because rain really fucks up my job. Only hitting 65 degrees this late in June to begin with doesn't help either 😡

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:44 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:57 pm
I was going to bring this up. My internet was out for a few hours due to the weather. Anyway, I was up at my parents house for sunday dinner in Bedford twp in Monroe County. My dad was watching the golf on Ch 4 and yeah, it's like "Ok enough with the f---king beeping already!" . My god!

I hope everyone is ok, Hillsdale and Lenawee counties got hit pretty hard from what I've heard.
At the folks' house in Lenawee county and we were at least spared from any significant damage. Can't speak for others, of course, but I've heard some places around here got pretty nasty damage...

NWS DTX usually posts a thorough review of any severe weather on their website; hopefully they prepared something for this.

take this job and shove it

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:36 pm

I despise it when the media overhypes weather watches.

Too much crying wolf, causing people to ignore the alerts if/when they become warnings.

I think it adds to the confusion the general public has between watches and warnings.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:18 pm

I believe by the FCC, stations are required to beep to let blind people about warnings/watches.

I don't have a problem with this during warnings, but watches, especially severe T-storms, are overkill.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 pm

EAS alerts, like for tornado warnings, that interrupt programming need tones.

Short of that, severe weather coverage is optional. The FCC especially doesn't force TV stations to cover weather watches. Yesterday was a case of Andrew Humphrey thinking he was the most important person in the room because of a t-storm watch.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:29 pm

I hate you and your incessant beeping WDIV.

I'm done watching... I'll stream WNBC or WMAQ for NBC programming.

Deleted User 15621

Post by Deleted User 15621 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 pm

Robert Faygo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:29 pm
I hate you and your incessant beeping WDIV.

I'm done watching... I'll stream WNBC or WMAQ for NBC programming.
You showed them. Now WDIV will have to go out of business.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:42 pm

The beeping was drowning out Andrew as he was giving real time coverage of the tornado warned storms.

Someone in the control room should've addressed that. 7 had no such issues.

Andrew did a decent job and dealt with the awkward technical situation the best he could. Overall. 7's coverage with Mike Taylor was superior.

Robert Faygo

Post by Robert Faygo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:49 pm

I thought Luterman did a good job on 2 along with Taylor - all in jeans and a golf shirt and no makeup.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:42 pm
The beeping was drowning out Andrew as he was giving real time coverage of the tornado warned storms.

Someone in the control room should've addressed that. 7 had no such issues.

Andrew did a decent job and dealt with the awkward technical situation the best he could. Overall. 7's coverage with Mike Taylor was superior.
They should at least stop the beeping when a meteorologist is trying to give out information. It could be potentially dangerous if that happens again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic