Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Howard Stern on 97.1

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
thekman

Re: Howard Stern on 97.1

Post by thekman » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:42 pm
Ed Tyll wasn't that bad himself but that intro is the worst ever.
Didn't care for his show. It was too serious a show for the station. Horrible fit to follow Stern. However, I found Scott & Casey to be even more unlistenable (their show was as interesting as watching paint dry).
I know many people very much enjoyed Deminski and Doyle, but when D&D followed Scott and Casey, that for me had to be 8 hours of the blandest talk radio ever.

I loved the very short-lived tenure of Don and Mike. After the Steve Dahl debacle, but before D&D were brought to town, 97.1 aired the syndicated Washington DC-based Don and Mike Show. I swear that was the funniest 3 hours 97.1 ever had.

As for a few other names from that era, I grew to rather enjoy Kramer and Twitch once I got used to them. Tom Leykis or Mancow, not so much.

Lickalime

Post by Lickalime » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Didn't care for his show. It was too serious a show for the station. Horrible fit to follow Stern. However, I found Scott & Casey to be even more unlistenable (their show was as interesting as watching paint dry).
I forgot about Scott & Casey. Man, that was a dreadful show. They were on before D&D, correct?

When did Gregg and Michelle start on 97.1?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:55 pm

I'm certain it was at least 2003 because I called into the show when they were talking about Canada for some reason; I think it had to do with invading Iraq. So I would guess 2002 or so?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:58 pm

I'm still amazed by the fact that, throughout all the format tweaks and changes over the years, they haven't played any music since at least 1999. And I wonder when they will again. K-Rock was the last time WRIF had any active/current rock competition launched in Detroit. 22 years. Seems like forever ago now.

-TurkeyTop

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 am

I listened to D&D every day after high school and college. Highly enjoyable as they screwed with Beaver and Rudy with hilarious drops. Mancow was entertaining as far as political talk and his characters, but I stopped listening after he simulated a rape of his female co host on air. Fake? Yes but in horribly poor taste. Tom Leykis was a hack, but he entertained me when there was nothing on everywhere else.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

G G

Post by G G » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:55 am

Lickalime wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
I forgot about Scott & Casey. Man, that was a dreadful show. They were on before D&D, correct?

When did Gregg and Michelle start on 97.1?
Gregg Henson was the worst voice I have ever heard broadcast in Detroit.

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:42 pm

MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 am
I listened to D&D every day after high school and college. Highly enjoyable as they screwed with Beaver and Rudy with hilarious drops. Mancow was entertaining as far as political talk and his characters, but I stopped listening after he simulated a rape of his female co host on air. Fake? Yes but in horribly poor taste. Tom Leykis was a hack, but he entertained me when there was nothing on everywhere else.
Loved me Some Tom Leykis, I used just die laughing at some of the crazy stuff he would say and when they brought 2 callers on, then he played devil's advocate. I believe Leykis had some sort of falling out with WKRK, wasn't there some event planned that went bust or something? They ended up moving his show to overnights, I remember around 2006 hearing it around 5:30 in the morning on a Saturday on my way to work, I worked weekends day shift at the time 6am-4pm. Then I think, they dropped him altogether.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:42 pm
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:23 am
Loved me Some Tom Leykis, I used just die laughing at some of the crazy stuff he would say and when they brought 2 callers on, then he played devil's advocate. I believe Leykis had some sort of falling out with WKRK, wasn't there some event planned that went bust or something? They ended up moving his show to overnights, I remember around 2006 hearing it around 5:30 in the morning on a Saturday on my way to work, I worked weekends day shift at the time 6am-4pm. Then I think, they dropped him altogether.
Yes, they moved him to like 3:00 AM to 5:30 or something like that. "Blow me up, Tom." Idiotic radio....

The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:56 am

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:41 pm

I like how this thread evolved into a thread about 97.1 as a whole! I can remember JOI, then Star (which my mom loved), that gave way to K-Rock (I believe that's when the Lions started on there), my memories of K-Rock are minimal, but I remember them talking about Riff. A lot. Eventually, the music started to fade away (around '99 or so, when pretty much any rock format on the dial in Detroit died), Free FM, FM Talk, all that jazz, then they flipped to sports, pushed D&D to 1270 (I think), and they've been the ticket ever since. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned I was never a Stern guy, but it was nice having another rock station around. K-Rock, the Edge and the Bear all bit the dust within months of each other!

-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:41 pm
I like how this thread evolved into a thread about 97.1 as a whole! I can remember JOI, then Star (which my mom loved), that gave way to K-Rock (I believe that's when the Lions started on there), my memories of K-Rock are minimal, but I remember them talking about Riff. A lot. Eventually, the music started to fade away (around '99 or so, when pretty much any rock format on the dial in Detroit died), Free FM, FM Talk, all that jazz, then they flipped to sports, pushed D&D to 1270 (I think), and they've been the ticket ever since. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned I was never a Stern guy, but it was nice having another rock station around. K-Rock, the Edge and the Bear all bit the dust within months of each other!
You forgot to include the disaster known as "97-1 Extreme Radio" :smokin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:25 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:48 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Was that when they were half rock and half talk?

-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:25 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:48 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Was that when they were half rock and half talk?
It wasn't 50/50 music & talk when I was there. The short-lived Extreme Radio was majority music. I think the only promotional items we had were cheesy lawn signs. Too many "suits" from corporate were constantly tinkering with WKRK, particularly during the "K-Rock" days. Too many chef's in the kitchen. They ruined Star 97 the same way. Star 97 was supposed to be the 70's station. Anyone who remembers the 1970s remembers a lot of black music. The New York suits at Infinity apparently forgot.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:07 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
I believe they put D&D on WCSX for a few months. It was either that or 106.7, but I am 90% sure it was WCSX.

Audacity sucks.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:07 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
I believe they put D&D on WCSX for a few months. It was either that or 106.7, but I am 90% sure it was WCSX.
Doug Podell brought D&D to WCSX. Big mistake.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic