Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

ALT 98.7 STL problems?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

ALT 98.7 STL problems?

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun May 23, 2021 4:30 pm

What's with the constant audio drop-outs this afternoon? Is this an STL issue between American Dr and 8009 Lyndon? Or something to do with wherever the "ALT" audio is being piped in from? Regardless of the cause, it certainly sounds bad. Not something one would expect from a major market FM.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Re: ALT 98.7 STL problems?

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun May 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Idk. We'll have to ask one of the three listeners.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun May 23, 2021 6:19 pm

Someday, when I have the balls to do it, I'd love to go down there and see the building for myself.

-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun May 23, 2021 6:37 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Someday, when I have the balls to do it, I'd love to go down there and see the building for myself.
Which building? The old building on Lyndon, under the tower?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun May 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Yep. With the WBFG letters on the chimney. Doesn't look like an area I wanna be spending a lot of time around lol

-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:15 pm
Yep. With the WBFG letters on the chimney. Doesn't look like an area I wanna be spending a lot of time around lol
Gotta love that razor wire up on the roof!

The original WLLZ was launched there. The interior somewhat resembles the old "WKRP" set. It's a lot more spacious than it looks from the street. Seems to me I heard the old WBFG/WLLZ studio has the backup transmitter in it now, or something along those lines. That place is proof positive that you don't need fancy, flashy studio/offices to be #1. It's the on-air product that really counts.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon May 24, 2021 4:57 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:03 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

The original WLLZ was launched there.
That's why I'd love to go check it out. When a station could still be a standalone operation. I can only imagine the "fun" had in there. Do you recall when they moved out?

-TurkeyTop

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:57 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

That's why I'd love to go check it out. When a station could still be a standalone operation. I can only imagine the "fun" had in there. Do you recall when they moved out?
My somewhat hazy memory tells me 1981, later in the year, when the studios at Hunter's Square (14 Mile / Orchard Lake) were finished. The studios were not only new, the building was newly constructed as well. The move was accelerated by at least one incident where the place on Lyndon was hit by stray bullets during business hours. Having listeners pick up prizes there was also an issue. As for how things are now, that neighborhood has lost lot of population. It's probably not nearly as dangerous as it was 40 years ago. Next time I'm in Florida, I'll try to look up John Larson. I am certain he has some stories.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed May 26, 2021 9:23 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 1:26 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:57 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

My somewhat hazy memory tells me 1981, later in the year, when the studios at Hunter's Square (14 Mile / Orchard Lake) were finished. The studios were not only new, the building was newly constructed as well. The move was accelerated by at least one incident where the place on Lyndon was hit by stray bullets during business hours. Having listeners pick up prizes there was also an issue. As for how things are now, that neighborhood has lost lot of population. It's probably not nearly as dangerous as it was 40 years ago. Next time I'm in Florida, I'll try to look up John Larson. I am certain he has some stories.
I would love to hear them. The more the merrier! The earliest air checks I have are from the Who concert in September 1982. I'd like to hear more about the launch and the first year or so on the air.

I'm gonna be straight up...I had some, erm..."problems" years ago and it's probably for the better I don't go down that way. The places that had "lost population" are the places it was easier to "do business" 😉

-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic