Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Enough with the "double box" already!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

Enough with the "double box" already!

Post by SolarMax » Thu May 20, 2021 5:07 pm

With COVID distancing restrictions easing, when, oh when, will our local stations dump use of the godawful annoying "2-box" for talent who we know are sitting literally only a few feet apart on the same set. They must have forgotten that wide-screen aspect ratio is capable of showing more than one person, even when "socially distanced," in frame on a studio set with a basic medium-wide.
The network AM shows seem to have gotten back to near-"normal" seating arrangements and shot blocking for in-studio segments.

radioandtventhusiast

Re: Enough with the "double box" already!

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Thu May 20, 2021 7:36 pm

It was fine for most of the pandemic, but if the anchors are both fully vaccinated, I don't know why they can't be back together at the same desk.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:28 pm

I'm surprised the technique hasn't been perfected over the last year so you couldn't even tell.

But, I think that might be intentional. I think they're trying to send a "virtue signal" that they're doing the "right thing"and need to make it a bit obvious.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:28 pm
I think they're trying to send a "virtue signal" that they're doing the "right thing"and need to make it a bit obvious.
We have a winner.

Herm

Post by Herm » Thu May 20, 2021 10:58 pm

km1125 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:28 pm
I'm surprised the technique hasn't been perfected over the last year so you couldn't even tell.

But, I think that might be intentional. I think they're trying to send a "virtue signal" that they're doing the "right thing"and need to make it a bit obvious.
Or, it’s obvious because we aren’t trying to hide it. Why would we?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 pm

The company's rules are still in effect even if the state has loosened its restrictions. Reporters and Photographers are still driving separately at 4 and 7 and most of the newsroom staff is still working remotely at the 3 stations. Things are moving back to normal but still very slowly and these decisions are coming from corporate HQs. How many office settings are fully back to normal?

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri May 21, 2021 10:07 pm

Editorcj wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:16 pm
The company's rules are still in effect even if the state has loosened its restrictions. Reporters and Photographers are still driving separately at 4 and 7 and most of the newsroom staff is still working remotely at the 3 stations. Things are moving back to normal but still very slowly and these decisions are coming from corporate HQs. How many office settings are fully back to normal?
My sort-of "complaint" has nothing to do with those remoting in, or field report arrangements.
The point is that two, or three anchors can sit in a studio set or at a "long" desk, safely, properly socially distanced, and be framed as a conventional 2 or 3-shot without need for the 2-box. GMA, Today, CBS This Morning, etc. have been doing this for many weeks.
Jimmy Kimmel and Guillermo have never been in boxes, so it can be done :lol:

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat May 22, 2021 8:42 am

What I find most frustrating is the damn audio delay between talents on some stations and networks, especially with a 3 or 4-box arrangement. With all the talking over and stumbles and "I'm sorry, go ahead", it gets me hitting the remote faster than anything I can remember! :evil:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Sat May 22, 2021 11:19 pm

The point is that two, or three anchors can sit in a studio set or at a "long" desk, safely, properly socially distanced, and be framed as a conventional 2 or 3-shot without need for the 2-box.
Redesigning the sets and new robotic camera blocking isn't going to happen in local studios in the short term, when corporate says it's OK to go back to normal then it will.
What I find most frustrating is the damn audio delay between talents on some stations and networks, especially with a 3 or 4-box arrangement
Live Zoom is like that.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 29, 2021 8:03 am

Grant Hermes and Priya Mann were together on the same set this morning on Channel 4. Priya couldn't stop laughing about it.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun May 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 8:03 am
Grant Hermes and Priya Mann were together on the same set this morning on Channel 4. Priya couldn't stop laughing about it.
I noticed WDIV began returning to in-studio/same set talent just a couple of days after that original post.
Coincidence??? :lol:

Downside is that Smilovitz is also back in there too.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:05 pm

Fox2 is back to a couple morning folks on the "big green couch" too, although they're several feet apart.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic