Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ AM not broadcasting in HD Radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
n8fnr

WWJ AM not broadcasting in HD Radio

Post by n8fnr » Fri May 07, 2021 11:14 pm

For the past few weeks WWJ has not been broadcasting in HD Radio on AM. Anyone know why? Is it an equipment issue or what? Will they start broadcasting again in HD Radio anytime soon? I had been listening to them everyday in HD Radio and love the improved fidelity.

Zack S

SixPlusOne

Re: WWJ AM not broadcasting in HD Radio

Post by SixPlusOne » Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am

n8fnr wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 11:14 pm
For the past few weeks WWJ has not been broadcasting in HD Radio on AM. Anyone know why? Is it an equipment issue or what? Will they start broadcasting again in HD Radio anytime soon? I had been listening to them everyday in HD Radio and love the improved fidelity.

Zack S
Why not contact the Chief Engineer

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Tue May 11, 2021 11:52 am

"HD Radio" for AM was nothing more than a shallow response to AM broadcasters, without an FM facility, asking "what about us?"

It was a stupid system, adding white noise to the broadcast, even if the signal were 100mV/m.

At night, powerful AM "HD" signals trampled on the AM signals when night fell.

Furthermore, those lucky enough to have a nice wideband AM receive mode lost their favorite stations because of the massive assault of the digital content "hiss".

I disagree with the claim that "HD" AM sounded better than than regular AM radio. It sounded very much akin to telephone-line modem audio, a lot of artifacts were introduced into the audio.

It used to be that one could easily to WBZ or WHO at night - now, you can't listen to either.

GOOD RIDDANCE!
Last edited by innate-in-you on Mon May 17, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm

n8fnr wrote:

Zack S
To my ears the HD sound quality sounded terrible. Maybe I just have a cheap receiver, but AM HD transmissions (WFDF is the only one I can get to lock reliably where I live) sound tinny and distorted to me. I certainly won't miss it if it never comes back. If you really miss hearing WWJ in HD my advice would be to listen to 97.1 FM HD2 for the time being.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri May 14, 2021 6:53 pm

n8fnr wrote:

Zack S
Well, that does it. I'm never listening to that station again. Standard definition AM radio. What do they think this is, 1940?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic