Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Big changes at “Specs Media Arts!”

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Tj2116

Big changes at “Specs Media Arts!”

Post by Tj2116 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:36 am

I can’t imagine this is going to be good.. I guess with Dick Kernen’s passing it was only a matter of time!

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainme ... 8LGLLXLEuA

IIN4MU

Re: Big changes at “Specs Media Arts!”

Post by IIN4MU » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:43 pm

This is shocking only because it didn't happen sooner. You used to be able to hire one of their grads and not have to worry about what they know and how they'll perform. That went out the window decades ago. Their 2020 Hall of Fame "contest" was a total joke. Kernen's son and Specs's daughter are among those picked? :roll:

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:01 am

IIN4MU wrote...

"This is shocking only because it didn't happen sooner. You used to be able to hire one of their grads and not have to worry about what they know and how they'll perform. That went out the window decades ago. Their 2020 Hall of Fame "contest" was a total joke. Kernen's son and Specs's daughter are among those picked? :rollin "

I worked with several Specs grads over the decades, and wished that those who now have 20, 23 and 40 years in the industry, coming out of micro-market beginnings to mid-and-large positions of honor could be considered. Like the RRHOF, things look clean on their face and maybe not in the belly.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm

It's not what you know, it's who you know.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Majik

Post by Majik » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:08 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm
That just might be the truest cliche ever.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:19 pm

It's not who you know, It's who knows you.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:20 pm

Majik wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:08 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:03 pm
That just might be the truest cliche ever.
I was put in charge of five Specs Howard interns when I was 17 years old and working in Detroit radio. I got my gig because I knew the program director.

Two of the interns were great I think one got hired, three of them couldn't fight their way out of a cardboard box and we return them for a full refund.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:49 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:20 pm
© 2021 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved. By reading my content you agree to my privacy policy and except my terms of usage.
Except?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:55 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:49 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:20 pm
© 2021 TC Talks Global Inc. All Rights Reserved. By reading my content you agree to my privacy policy and except my terms of usage.
Except?
Yes, expect.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 am

All of this is a result of the Department of Education starting to come down on highly specialized certificate schools. The nature of the beast is that very few of the graduates will ever find work in broadcasting, and that reflects poorly when it comes to permit the school for accepting grants and government secured student loans.

Couple in how many graduates end up working in unpaid internships and I'm sure the DoE was getting ready to pull the plug on a large source of their revenue.

All of this seems to be going to LTU, which has been in direct competition for the last decade with two and four year degree programs, and none of the worry about having their student funding sources yanked. The unpaid internships can continue unabated, graduates get a chance for a back-up plan for when their dreams are crushed by the reality of the broadcasting industry.

Specs Howard did a good job teaching the skills to people who had the talent. But they also did some dodgy shit, including publishing the names of people who were hired in the industry but didn't attend Specs Howard, as successful graduates.

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:13 pm

SolidGoldDancers wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:15 am

Specs Howard did a good job teaching the skills to people who had the talent. But they also did some dodgy shit, including publishing the names of people who were hired in the industry but didn't attend Specs Howard, as successful graduates.
Do tell! What are the details here?

Herm

Post by Herm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:23 pm

RTV4-04
Everything is what you make of it.
I can think of 4 people from my graduating class, including myself, who had/have a career in broadcasting. There may be more, but not many more.
I don’t have any illusions about Specs Howard. I know they were better at marketing themselves than they were at preparing students for careers in broadcasting, but they weren’t completely inept at the latter. I knew nothing about broadcasting when I started there and I’ve done nothing but broadcasting since then. I don’t know what I would be doing if I hadn’t gone there, but I love my job and it provides a pretty good life for my family and I. Like I said... everything is what you make of it.

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm going to say Central and State were the biggest competition for Specs, I don't know of anybody in TV that went to Larry Tech.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:07 pm

MSU had a great Radio & TV program. Many people I knew got picked up by Lansing stations while they were still in school.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm

RTV-7 83.
Guess there were more radio jobs back then.
90 percent of my class went to work in the business.
Some of us are still working.
I was bummed when Specs died, then Dick Kernen, who used to visit me once a year.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic