Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Hey, 96.3 WDVD - your audio sounds like horse shit - FIX IT!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Hey, 96.3 WDVD - your audio sounds like horse shit - FIX IT!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 pm

WDVD's audio chain has sounded like a complete abortion for two weeks running now. Zero mid range, excessively obtrusive bass, and high end treble that is off the charts.

Is Cumulus chasing listeners to the exits on purpose?!?!

As a listener, shit like this drives me nuts.

WDVD = "We're Detroit's Venereal Disease." :lol

Detroit313

Re: Hey, 96.3 WDVD - your audio sounds like horse shit - FIX IT!!!

Post by Detroit313 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:35 pm

What a mess!

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:45 pm

I wanted to bitch about this. Vocals to me sound absolutely muffled. I can't listen to 96.3 for an extended length of time anyway, but how can those who enjoy their playlist stomach such abysmal sound quality?

I wonder what Cumulus uses for processing there. All three stations sound like absolute shit from an audio standpoint.

take this job and shove it

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:10 pm

The scary thing is - the audio chain this week on WDVD has actually sounded a little bit better this week compared to the previous couple weeks. It remains suboptimal, though. Not enough mid-range and the low bass remains too obtrusive.

Completely agree about 760 WJR's audio sounding like total horseshit. It's been that way for over a year now. It's tolerable on a wideband receiver but sounds outrageously distorted on a narrowband receiver.

What truly sucks about WDVD's audio is that it's been pretty stellar at nearly all times over the past two decades; what's happened over the past few weeks is very much out of character.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:12 am

Yeah, 96.3 sounded damn good for quite a while. Are these new processing settings for 96.3 the handiwork of the new "Director of FM Programming"? If so, good god. The man must not have ears.

As for 93.1, it sounded best from a processing standpoint when it was still Doug. Ever since the flip to country, the audio has sounded like garbage IMO.

armchair pd

Post by armchair pd » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:47 am

Sounds like backup processing.
Something in the rack probably died and they're waiting on a replacement would be my guess.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:24 pm

Reception did seem crappier than usual in the Brighton area along I-96 Easter weekend, so it might be more than just something in the rack dying.

For the most part, I've liked 93.1's processing as a Country station. It usually sounds bright but clean. Bass is produced accurately, too. Not a fan of the pukey, gravelly voiced male V/O artist they use. Granted, he's an improvement over his predecessor, who sounded clinically depressed on half of his reads.

Detroit313

Post by Detroit313 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Sounds like it has been fixed?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:49 pm

It's tolerable now, but it still sounds "broken."

Mid range is a little muddy and high end sounds suppressed.

WDVD earned its worst ratings of the PPM era in the March survey. With the current survey period featuring two or three weeks of really crappy audio processing, it'll be very interesting to see how they fare in the next survey.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 pm

Hey, MW. You ever notice something? It's almost like these companies don't care about shitty ratings, shitty billing, shitty formats, and shitty sound? I think most (not all) broadcasting companies are doing some kind of Brewster's Millions thing here.

Stations go weeks with audio processing problems, book after book after book of shitty ratings, playlists that blow chunks... WRIF certainly rises above most of that, but many other groups/stations seem to enjoy sucking.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Detroit313

Post by Detroit313 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:02 pm

It is back to sounding crappy.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:26 pm

When Ed B was CE at WJR, that station had a better than FM stereo audio chain over the air, and it's been crap since his passing. The engineer's Cumulus has circulated thru the Toledo/Detroit market have been insufficient in number, and have been more "I.T." people than RF and audio people. It's truly sad. Radio doesn't need another reason not to listen to it. Sirius had already done that with their horrible sounding artifacts and realized they need to use the XM audio methods instead, so Chrysler group, and finally, Ford has dropped the Sirius trash and is now installing "SXM" (ie: XM-based) systems so as not to fatigue the listeners. Now if only Cumulus could do the same? Hell, the AM station in Ionia on 1430 sounds better than any FM in Detroit today!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 am

They're definitely playing around with the audio processor settings.

It sounded noticeably brighter last night than a couple days earlier, but overall, I thought what I heard sounded decent. The treble - while more pronounced than earlier in the week - isn't nearly as overemphasized as a couple weeks ago, and sound stage & dynamic range both sounded decent, perhaps even natural, to my ears.

The individual instruments "pop" a little more than before, so for those who don't care for lively audio, you might not like their current audio settings.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat May 01, 2021 10:23 am

Ed was CE at WJR, but Hal Buttermore was CE at 96.3.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat May 01, 2021 3:38 pm

Listened last night. Sounds much better than it has in recent weeks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic