Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gello out at 105.1 The Bounce

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Gello out at 105.1 The Bounce

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Gello being let go was not planned, and came as a shock to everyone. It was a big loss to the station, and there must have been something terrible that happened behind the scenes for this to happen.
The "something terrible that happened behind the scenes" is called corporate radio ownership. This is par for the course.

Beasley Detroit hired a new Operations Manager recently; I think it is possible he wanted to divert some resources away from 105.1 in order to pump some additional $$$ into WRIF and WCSX.

Penny826

Post by Penny826 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:25 pm
Gello being let go was not planned, and came as a shock to everyone. It was a big loss to the station, and there must have been something terrible that happened behind the scenes for this to happen.
The "something terrible that happened behind the scenes" is called corporate radio ownership. This is par for the course.

Beasley Detroit hired a new Operations Manager recently; I think it is possible he wanted to divert some resources away from 105.1 in order to pump some additional $$$ into WRIF and WCSX.
Speculate if you want, but I know for a fact that's not at all what happened. :blink

radiowhat

Post by radiowhat » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 am
My belief is that the timing of Beasley’s acquisition at the time of launch played a significant role in the lack of care the station needed to continue with its historic debut.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. The station hired numerous, locally based personalities and was also fairly aggressive (by modern standards) on contesting.

Every single classic hip-hop station ever launched that saw big numbers out of the gate saw those numbers crash within 90 days of debut. Most never recovered. 105.1, on the other hand, did recover - after dumping the Pistons (who only remained on the station because of GREATER MEDIA's programming blunders) - and for many months was a top 5 station consistently in A18-34, A18-49 and A25-54, at times reaching first or second place in some of those demos. During that period, it was far & away the format's most successful station from a ratings standpoint anywhere in the country.

The station has long had an ungodly amount of DJ talent turnover. Reggie Reg, Suga Rae, Big Boy, Foolish, Shay Shay and others all had short-lived tenures.

Now, I will say in the post-COVID era, the "lack of care" statement certainly applies. And at the moment, it appears 105.1 is possibly being pillaged from a budgetary standpoint in order to prop up the other stations in the cluster.

Let's face it - the Director of FM Programming for Beasley Detroit, Scott Jameson, is a rock guy. And he's a relatively old white guy (mid 50s or older, I would guess). Is this person best equipped to determine what resources 105.1 needs to be successful? If he has a choice between spending $$$ on 94.7 vs. 101.1 vs. 105.1 vs. 105.9, I doubt 105.1 will fare well.

https://radioink.com/2020/07/29/beasley ... ming-slot/

I do like what he's doing at 101 WRIF, but I'm afraid 105.1 is possibly going to remain a neglected station with him in charge.
Jade is the one doing good things at WRIF. Credit should be given where credit it due.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:09 pm

She's horrible as an on-air personality. She has zero business being behind the mic.

As a music scheduler - she is probably fine.

Why does "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm sound like an ultra low quality bootleg recording when Riff plays the song?

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 pm

MW. Ill take that bet , I think Rickey Smiley is going to be heard in Detroit

radiowhat

Post by radiowhat » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:18 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:09 pm
She's horrible as an on-air personality. She has zero business being behind the mic.

As a music scheduler - she is probably fine.

Why does "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm sound like an ultra low quality bootleg recording when Riff plays the song?
I was replying to the comment of "I do like what he's doing at 101 WRIF" From what I hear Jade is Programming and doing everything for WRIF. So she should get the "I like what she is doing at 101 WRIF"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm

She is the APD and reports to Scott Jameson. I strongly doubt he is delegating everything to her; he has spent decades programming rock and classic rock stations.

Now, does she play a valuable role in shaping 101's sound? I'm sure she does.

I have no reason to question her off-air work.

WRIF is a well programmed station and definitely sounds better now than when Mark Pennington was PD/OM. He let the audio processing turn to shit and turned too many DJs into promo liner card readers.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:08 pm

radiowhat wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 am
My belief is that the timing of Beasley’s acquisition at the time of launch played a significant role in the lack of care the station needed to continue with its historic debut.
I'm not so sure I agree with that. The station hired numerous, locally based personalities and was also fairly aggressive (by modern standards) on contesting.

Every single classic hip-hop station ever launched that saw big numbers out of the gate saw those numbers crash within 90 days of debut. Most never recovered. 105.1, on the other hand, did recover - after dumping the Pistons (who only remained on the station because of GREATER MEDIA's programming blunders) - and for many months was a top 5 station consistently in A18-34, A18-49 and A25-54, at times reaching first or second place in some of those demos. During that period, it was far & away the format's most successful station from a ratings standpoint anywhere in the country.

The station has long had an ungodly amount of DJ talent turnover. Reggie Reg, Suga Rae, Big Boy, Foolish, Shay Shay and others all had short-lived tenures.

Now, I will say in the post-COVID era, the "lack of care" statement certainly applies. And at the moment, it appears 105.1 is possibly being pillaged from a budgetary standpoint in order to prop up the other stations in the cluster.

Let's face it - the Director of FM Programming for Beasley Detroit, Scott Jameson, is a rock guy. And he's a relatively old white guy (mid 50s or older, I would guess). Is this person best equipped to determine what resources 105.1 needs to be successful? If he has a choice between spending $$$ on 94.7 vs. 101.1 vs. 105.1 vs. 105.9, I doubt 105.1 will fare well.

https://radioink.com/2020/07/29/beasley ... ming-slot/

I do like what he's doing at 101 WRIF, but I'm afraid 105.1 is possibly going to remain a neglected station with him in charge.
Jade is the one doing good things at WRIF. Credit should be given where credit it due.
Agreed. I wonder if she is the reason they are updating and rotating in some select alternative gold songs not heard on Riff in their heyday in the late 90s and early 00s. When I hear a Blink 182 song or a Sum 41 song, that guarantees I'll be staying there. If only 98.7 didn't suck an exhaust pipe...

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:17 pm

Blink 182? No thanks.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:17 pm
Blink 182? No thanks.
Hey, hey, HEY! What's My Age Again is the best damn 2 minutes and 30 seconds known to man!

-TurkeyTop

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:07 pm

THIS STATE LOOKS DOWN ON SODOMY

-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:11 pm

I'll admit - Age is a decent song.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:27 pm

I still get shit because of my love for 90s skate punk. Guy at work gave me shit a couple weeks ago when he caught me listening to NOFX. I still love that stuff. I can't do this MGK pop punk shit, though.

-TurkeyTop

radiowhat

Post by radiowhat » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:51 pm
She is the APD and reports to Scott Jameson. I strongly doubt he is delegating everything to her; he has spent decades programming rock and classic rock stations.

Now, does she play a valuable role in shaping 101's sound? I'm sure she does.

I have no reason to question her off-air work.

WRIF is a well programmed station and definitely sounds better now than when Mark Pennington was PD/OM. He let the audio processing turn to shit and turned too many DJs into promo liner card readers.
Believe what you want to believe. Unless you work in that building you have no idea what is going on and you're only speculating.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm

Of course I'm speculating; never meant to infer otherwise. :)

She does suck as a DJ, though. No speculation there, just pure opinion. Reminds me of some of the part timers I heard on WGRD years ago. I wonder how much voice coaching she has received, if any.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic