Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Kudos to WWJ Newsradio 950

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Kudos to WWJ Newsradio 950

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:16 pm

...to the best of my knowledge, they are the only local news outlet (online or over the air) to report on the massive fire at Primo's Pizza on Adams St. in Birmingham, behind the big Wells Fargo building on Woodward Ave. between 14 Mile and Maple Rd.

Ironically, this pizzeria is almost next door to the Birmingham, MI fire department. The fire & smoke cloud exploded to epic proportions. Could easily see the massive plume of black smoke two miles away on Woodward.

It would appear the local fire department lacked the apparatus necessary to successfully contain the fire.

Also, what inside a pizza shop would be so damn flammable other than alcoholic beverages? (They do sell beer & wine there.)

Based on its sheer intensity, the fire perhaps was intentionally set?

TC Shuts Up

Re: Kudos to WWJ Newsradio 950

Post by TC Shuts Up » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:22 pm

The Competition? Shut down related?

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:29 pm

This joint wasn't a sit down restaurant-type pizzeria; it was carry-out with a small selection of convenience store items & alcoholic beverages.

One thing that could've possibly caused such a massive fire is ignition of natural gas. Perhaps there was a faulty natural gas connection inside or immediately outside the building? The thing is - natural gas is relatively clean burning; it shouldn't produce tons of black smoke. The billowing black smoke was reminiscent of a petroleum tanker truck fire on the freeway. Of course, hot flames making contact with building materials could certainly be capable of producing black smoke.

In terms of serious competition, there really isn't much nearby! I don't consider the mediocre Little Caesar's or Hungry Howies on Woodward to be competition (I hate Hungry Howie's). The Jet's Pizza in Birmingham is damn good, but it's about a mile away.

Primo's was a mainstay from what I understand and its pizza generally had a good reputation.

I actually thought it was the Wells Fargo building that was on fire perhaps. But when I drove directly past the building on Woodward, it did appear the smoke was emanating from behind the building. I had a brain fart and couldn't remember what was behind it on Adams St. The WWJ story gave me the answer I needed.

ProducerXM

Post by ProducerXM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:56 pm

A grease fire. Doesn’t take much for the hood to catch fire. Those should be cleaned 4 times a year and most likely were not.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:49 am

If that is indeed the cause, the fact it grew so massive so quickly is stunning.

I know water shouldn't be used to extinguish grease fires, but once flames spread to other materials, it would seem to me usage of water (from fire hoses) would help.

Anyone here with further expertise on this topic? I am genuinely curious.

WWJ story:
https://www.radio.com/wwjnewsradio/news ... pizza-shop

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:00 am

Saw it on the news last night. Apparently there was also an unrelated big structure fire about a block away about the same time too.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 am

I understand there was a house fire on Lincoln about one block to the east; that fire pales in comparison to this one.

The black smoke cloud that crossed over Woodward into sections of downtown Birmingham was quite remarkable.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:25 am

I was surprised at the amount of black smoke too, but wasn't aware of the business or the structure of the building. Lots of black smoke is also a function of a lack of air in a fire, which means a lot of the carbon can't be burned up. It also means the fire was cooler than it could have been if there was enough airflow. A congested area will contribute to that.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:08 am
I understand there was a house fire on Lincoln about one block to the east; that fire pales in comparison to this one.

The black smoke cloud that crossed over Woodward into sections of downtown Birmingham was quite remarkable.
Should the town be renamed "Burningham"?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:13 pm

Per C and G News, the cause of the fire at Primo's Pizza was attributed to HVAC equipment on the roof. Reportedly, HVAC repair work was performed earlier that day. It is unclear from the article if the repair work was botched and directly led to the fire.

The black smoke was caused by roofing materials combusting.

The structure is sound but quite a bit of equipment inside suffered what appears to be water damage.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:13 pm
Per C and G News, the cause of the fire at Primo's Pizza was attributed to HVAC equipment on the roof. Reportedly, HVAC repair work was performed earlier that day. It is unclear from the article if the repair work was botched and directly led to the fire.

The black smoke was caused by roofing materials combusting.

The structure is sound but quite a bit of equipment inside suffered what appears to be water damage.
Very weird. Warren has had two HVAC roof fires recently. One was the Burger King at 11 and Hoover, and I am not sure where the other one was.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:45 am

Amazing, local radio news, imagine that! At first I thought you were going to report that CBS finally turned-off the AM HD IBOC on 950, but having up to date local news is even more important than the medium used to deliver it!

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:35 am

my understanding is they were re-taring the roof and the hot tar ignited something and the entire roof went ablaze very quickly

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic