Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Two major stories the Detroit media seem to be ignoring

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Realist

Re: Two major stories the Detroit media seem to be ignoring

Post by Realist » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:53 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:50 pm
It's the engine design itself. There are a couple decent YouTube videos on this topic that get very geeky / analytical.
You never answered my question about the Traverse on the last page. It’s truly an awesome vehicle

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:27 pm

Sorry...missed it earlier.

The question was:
Mark - have you ever looked at the Lansing made Chevy Traverse? Decent gas mileage and a very room vehicle. I’m 6’3 and 290 and was shocked at how comfortable and roomy it is. Friend of mine has a Traverse Premiere and can’t stop saying how it’s the best vehicle she’s ever owned.
The reviews I've read about the Traverse are more positive than negative but not enthusiastic. Most corroborate what you stated regarding comfort. Reliability is average. I've never test driven one.

In typical GM fashion, the Traverse has oversized blind spots. Entry level and next-step-up have some cheapy interior parts (again, typical GM). That is probably a non-issue with the Premiere trim. I know the Blazer is the same way.

It is certainly far more vehicle than I need. I'm single and I have a one stall garage that is fairly short to boot.

The Traverse is 204" in length, which I believe makes it the longest or second longest vehicle of the mid-size SUV class. I wouldn't want a vehicle longer than 196" and definitely prefer one below 190" (like my current vehicle).

As someone who has no friends & family discounts for the Big 3, if I were in the market for a vehicle in the three row mid-size SUV class, I'd probably go with the Kia Telluride despite Hyundai / Kia's prior issues with engine fire risk. That is a very comfortable vehicle with an exceptionally well configured interior; it lacks agility although that is not uncommon for the class. Second choice would be the new Toyota Highlander. I might also pick the Dodge Durango ahead of the Traverse.

The Traverse would win against the GMC Acadia (its sister vehicle), the Subaru Ascent, the Honda Pilot (too minivan like) and the Ford Explorer. Not even gonna give Buick the time of day, LOL. They can run all the TV ads they want; that will always be an old geezer brand in my mind unless the look of the grill is changed and the logo is changed.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm

I'll throw in a third story topic that I haven't heard mentioned yet—a pandemic baby boom. I'm sure that topic will come up, whether it happens or not.

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:44 pm

Any of you got thoughts on Chevy Trax? Good or bad? My daughter is fixing to buy her first car. She thinking about one of those.

Thanks.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:44 pm
Any of you got thoughts on Chevy Trax? Good or bad? My daughter is fixing to buy her first car. She thinking about one of those.

Thanks.
Avoid it. Korean made junk. Friend of mine bought one about 6 months after they came out. Started having multiple issues with it within 3-4 months after buying it, at first the electrical system, then engine issues and finally a head cracked on it. Dealer went to bat for her in declaring it a lemon and GM agreed, buying the car back. She switched to an Equinox. Be careful on the Equinox and buy one that has a VIN starting with 2 (Canada made) versus 3 (Mexico made).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:18 pm

I'll throw in a third story topic that I haven't heard mentioned yet—a pandemic baby boom. I'm sure that topic will come up, whether it happens or not.
WWJ 950 (or it might have been CBS News Radio) did a story on that very question a week or two ago, if I remember correctly.

Researchers have determined there will NOT be a pandemic baby boom. That surprised me.

Here's an article from Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicebrost ... new-study/
I cannot top what Realist wrote, as I don't know anyone who owns or leases one.

I will say competitors with similar or slightly higher list prices are superior vehicles from a styling, interior materials, fuel economy and power train standpoint. She would get more bang for her money, too, if she went for a compact sedan - as opposed to an SUV - from one of the Asian automakers over the Trax (again, assuming we're talking about new models only). Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra, or Honda Civic.

Getting back to subcompact SUVs, the automotive press raves about the new Kia Seltos, but given the fact the vehicle has only been around globally for less than two years and is on its very first model year in the U.S., there isn't a ton of historical data to examine from a reliability standpoint. At least on paper, Kia products do have a strong warranty, so there's that to consider. I'm not sure how easy the dealers are to work with when it comes to warranty claims, though.

I would steer very clear of any of the low end Jeep products; the stuff under the hood largely comes from Fiat (Fiat = garbage).

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:56 am

On Jeep or any products from that company you want to stay away from the Tigershark 4 and buy only the Pentastar V6 or the various Hemis.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:01 am

zzand wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:56 am
On Jeep or any products from that company you want to stay away from the Tigershark 4 and buy only the Pentastar V6 or the various Hemis.
What wonderful ailments does the 4 tend to get?

zzand

Post by zzand » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:18 am

I am a bit of a car geek and haunt a lot of car sties and forums. Biggest issues I have seen deals with valve and cams.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:18 pm

The Traverse got mixed reviews from Consumer Reports, but I don't have any experience with it myself. Focus's are AWFUL, from what I've seen. 2 Co-workers of mine had them, both garbage. The one, tried to look into seeing there's would qualify for the Lemon law, but sadly to no avail.

My Parents have a 2016 Nissan Rouge, which is built in Mississippi. It seems to be a pretty good vehicle. Not sure if this problem was corrected on fords, but my Aunt has a Ford Flex(don't know the year) and she doesn't care much for the touch screen controls on it.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:20 pm

I have a friend with a Traverse and it's his second one. His first was a disaster and I think needed a camshaft at one point. His newest one had almost 200k on the clock and they really liked it.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 pm

You can get a lemon with anything. I knew of someone who had a Toyota Camry, which is like the gold standard of cars. His was a piece junk, everything rattled in that car! It was a 2002 if I recall, which the 02-04 wasn't a good generation of those. Now a 92-96, those were heaven. On the flip side, I knew someone who had a 2006(I think) Hyundai Accent and it was great. So you just never know.

My parents had a 2008 Trailblazer prior to The Rouge, nice vehicle but it seemed when something went wrong, it was awfully costly. Can't remember what happened, but something major started acting up and they ended up trading it for the rouge. They go down south in The Winter and spend the warmer months in Michigan. So, they wanted an SUV to take things from down south to Michigan, also something that's comfortable to travel in.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:06 pm

Heathcliff wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 pm
You can get a lemon with anything. I knew of someone who had a Toyota Camry, which is like the gold standard of cars. His was a piece junk, everything rattled in that car! It was a 2002 if I recall, which the 02-04 wasn't a good generation of those. Now a 92-96, those were heaven. On the flip side, I knew someone who had a 2006(I think) Hyundai Accent and it was great. So you just never know.

My parents had a 2008 Trailblazer prior to The Rouge, nice vehicle but it seemed when something went wrong, it was awfully costly. Can't remember what happened, but something major started acting up and they ended up trading it for the rouge. They go down south in The Winter and spend the warmer months in Michigan. So, they wanted an SUV to take things from down south to Michigan, also something that's comfortable to travel in.
Not to nitpick but it’s Rogue. It doesn’t surprise me that there would be some lemon Camry’s too.

Deleted User 15502

Post by Deleted User 15502 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:36 pm

It serves them well, there seems to be a lot of hate for Nissan I've noticed. I'd probably choose a Rav 4 if it were for me.

Myself, I'm on the fence right now with my car situation. Mine is 13 years old, the miles are fairly low for it's age but it's developed some minor electric issues, it obviously paid for and I've owned it now for a little over 5 years. Trying to hold out awhile longer.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:51 am

Heathcliff wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:36 pm
It serves them well, there seems to be a lot of hate for Nissan I've noticed. I'd probably choose a Rav 4 if it were for me.

Myself, I'm on the fence right now with my car situation. Mine is 13 years old, the miles are fairly low for it's age but it's developed some minor electric issues, it obviously paid for and I've owned it now for a little over 5 years. Trying to hold out awhile longer.
What is it exactly?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic