Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15506

Re: Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Post by Deleted User 15506 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:26 pm
Sean Hannity confidant, Dan Bongino, might be coming to the 12PM to 3PM timeslot at WJR.

Evidently, Westwood One (owned by Cumulus) is going to begin syndicating him in that time slot.
Bongino is an excellent choice. His podcasts are the second highest rated conservative podcast to date.

SBaxley

Re: Loss of Limbaugh, Retirement Of Beckman And Others, May Force Changes At WJR

Post by SBaxley » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:13 pm

not might...IS ! its official the start date is May 24th 12-3 et and yes Westwood one is owned by Cumulus Media , the only station that wont air his show is WSB Atlanta. and he is good !

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:29 am

Everything is so much better with Rush and his little buddy Trump muted. Plenty of hate-filled irresponsible blabber mouthing from both has been recorded for posterity. Those of you addicted to the un-fun fellas, and their hate mongering should start a Rush/Trump recovery support group.

thekman

Post by thekman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:56 pm
thekman wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 am
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 pm

(Interestingly, WJR also reacted to McCarthy's death with another significant hiring—Mitch Albom. In October 1995, he was hired for the 4-6 p.m. slot, starting in January 1996)
Don’t forget about Ken Calvert joining WJR around that same time. Late mornings. I do believe.
Thanks. I looked it up and he took over the 1-3 shift on the same day that Albom took over the 4-6 shift (1/2/96). (Dr. Laura was on from 3-4). Then, Calvert was moved to 10-12 in the mornings in the summer of 1996 when WJR fired Jimmy Launce (which made a lot of listeners unhappy). Calvert lasted until the fall of 1998, when he was replaced by David Newman, who'd been working evenings.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. If memory serves me correct, Albom replaced the “Afternoon News Center” with, I believe it was Joel Alexander and Dana Mills. But who did Calvert replace in the early afternoon? Was it Kevin Joyce?

JGP1954

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 am

Right now, the Rush reruns are working. Rush knew he was dying, so he anticipated what he had to do to keep his legacy alive. Apparently, he cataloged years of his broadcasts, according to topic. So, whoever succeeded him would be able to retrieve Rush's take on the given topic. So whether you like Rush or not, it was a brilliant move. Other broadcasts from the past could be used in the same manner. Paul Harvey would be one example. I'm surprised that Harvey's "Rest of the Story" aren't on the air. nowadays.

Deleted User 15525

Post by Deleted User 15525 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:37 am

JGP1954 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:05 am
Right now, the Rush reruns are working. Rush knew he was dying, so he anticipated what he had to do to keep his legacy alive. Apparently, he cataloged years of his broadcasts, according to topic. So, whoever succeeded him would be able to retrieve Rush's take on the given topic. So whether you like Rush or not, it was a brilliant move. Other broadcasts from the past could be used in the same manner. Paul Harvey would be one example. I'm surprised that Harvey's "Rest of the Story" aren't on the air. nowadays.
It goes to show you, just how Limbaugh had changed talk radio during the last 30+ years. The man actually saved AM radio at that time.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 pm

thekman wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:45 pm
Bobbert wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:56 pm
thekman wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:00 am
Bobbert wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:59 pm

(Interestingly, WJR also reacted to McCarthy's death with another significant hiring—Mitch Albom. In October 1995, he was hired for the 4-6 p.m. slot, starting in January 1996)
Don’t forget about Ken Calvert joining WJR around that same time. Late mornings. I do believe.
Thanks. I looked it up and he took over the 1-3 shift on the same day that Albom took over the 4-6 shift (1/2/96). (Dr. Laura was on from 3-4). Then, Calvert was moved to 10-12 in the mornings in the summer of 1996 when WJR fired Jimmy Launce (which made a lot of listeners unhappy). Calvert lasted until the fall of 1998, when he was replaced by David Newman, who'd been working evenings.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. If memory serves me correct, Albom replaced the “Afternoon News Center” with, I believe it was Joel Alexander and Dana Mills. But who did Calvert replace in the early afternoon? Was it Kevin Joyce?
It looks like it was Kevin Joyce. And you're right about Albom replacing Alexander and Mills. Here's what I found:

Detroit Free Press (12/1/95)

Announced: Additional lineup changes at WJR-AM with the arrival of Ken Calvert in the 1-3 p.m. slot Jan. 2. Kevin Joyce moves to the 9 p.m.-2 a.m. time slot that date. A 6-6:30 p.m. news block and ' "Sportswrap" from 6:30-9 p.m. are other changes. Out? Current 8-11 p.m. host Doug Ross and Dr. Laura Schlessinger's midnight tape sessions.

Detroit Free Press (1/5/96)

Departing: Newscaster Gene Healy and traffic reporter/helicopter pilot Dennis Neubacher from WJR-AM (760). Healy is retiring; Neubacher was replaced by former afternoon host Joel Alexander.

Detroit Free Press (1/8/96)

By plugging Calvert into the midday slot, WJR is counter-programming for the 35-and-older listeners who aren't interested in politics and are tired of hearing classic Tom Petty cuts on FM. Calvert's innately likable broadcast persona—the banter with newscaster Dana Mills, weatherite Judy Coy and the traffic reporters sounded genuine enough—should also make him less likely to alienate WJR's older core audience, which views change as the rough equivalent of a flu epidemic.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 pm

Wow, 25 years ago, WJR was still worth a listen. Didn't realize January 96 is when the Helicopter went bye-bye. Calvert was in a good timeslot. My how the Great Voice ended-up in the middle of the pile in Motown.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 pm

Just to answer a fringe thought offered here, "The Rest of the Story" has aired on WGLM-FM in Greenville/Lakeview in their weekday lunch hour programming for several years, around 12:35 p.m. Don't know if that continues to this day.

It amazes me Rush's hold is that significant for these listeners, but then, I was amazed by the zealousness of their calls to the newsroom about our content and slant when his show aired where I worked, back when. Their anger about our "drive by media" perspective grew larger as we edged into the second decade of this century.

Steve B

Post by Steve B » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:48 am

WOHO wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:50 pm
Wow, 25 years ago, WJR was still worth a listen. Didn't realize January 96 is when the Helicopter went bye-bye. Calvert was in a good timeslot. My how the Great Voice ended-up in the middle of the pile in Motown.
WJR used the helicopter until June 2012 when Joel Alexander resigned, rather than be reassigned in a cost cutting move to a desk job, per Art Vuolo's blog. Sadly Alexander passed away at 68 in 2019.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic