Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDET / New Transmitter/ Jesus Christ Superstar

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Colonel Flagg

Re: WDET / New Transmitter/ Jesus Christ Superstar

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:38 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:10 am
I don't think the station "whining" about it; they are simply making it known to their listeners that they are aware of the issue, what is being done to resolve it, and why a permanent fix has not already been instituted. Inclusion of the price tag is perhaps being done to induce listeners' financial support of the radio station.

In contrast, most commercial radio stations would have their lips completely sealed about such issues and would pretend nothing is wrong.
The bleating about the two worn out transmitters is being aired ad nauseam. I would probably get a kick out of seeing an itemized list of exactly what they are getting (or maybe not getting) for $180K.

As to your comments in paragraph 2, you're right. We had transmitter trouble in Orlando years ago...never even told the sales geeks.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:09 am

WGTE and WEMU are better NPR’s anyway.

I love WRCJ’s Jazz at night as well.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Those old transmitters are probably better than many commercial stations have. Maybe it's time to go "dumpster diving".

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm

No station is going to want to pay someone to keep a thirty year old transmitter running, even if they can find parts or someone talented and motivated enough to make what's available work. It might happen if the station is on the ropes, but then it is probably just prolonging the inevitable dirt nap anyway. I worked for such a place near Toledo, and received just pennies on the dollar for my efforts at getting a third-hand Harris running.

These new solid state beasts are modular plug-n-play magic designed so an intern can walk back there, look at the lights, replace what's bad just like a hard drive without having to shut it down, tune it nor touch a greenie. They run cooler, they eat less electricity.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 pm

According to a WDET announcement the fundraiser was successful. I'm not sure when the new transmitter will be online ? (I'm also not sure if "online" is the right word.)

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:35 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:08 pm
According to a WDET announcement the fundraiser was successful. I'm not sure when the new transmitter will be online ? (I'm also not sure if "online" is the right word.)
Since it is a radio broadcasting station, "On Air" would be the appropriate term.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Sat May 01, 2021 3:37 pm

They probably will have it on air in the next few months.

Sidenote: Whatever happened to the HD2 they were planning on launching? I thought it was supposed to be an Ann Delisi-curated AAA stream...

take this job and shove it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic