Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDIV’s Evening, Late News Top-Rated In 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:13 am

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

"WDIV, Graham Media’s NBC affiliate in Detroit, finished 2020 with the highest-rated newscasts from 4 until 6:30 in the evening and at 11 in adults 25-54, according to the station. In addition, the station’s website, ClickOnDetroit, saw increases of 50% and more in users, page views, sessions and livestream plays over 2019."

https://marketshare.tvnewscheck.com/202 ... d-in-2020/

fanniemae

Re: WDIV’s Evening, Late News Top-Rated In 2020

Post by fanniemae » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:11 pm

Most professional news people, love WDIV. I peek at the 10 PM at WJBK, which is tolerable.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:53 pm

I remember when Jason Colthorp was on in Lansing. Guess he is with the big boys in Detroit now.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:50 pm

They're definitely firing on all cylinders, and like the article stated, they've made some smart strategic moves with newsletters, push alerts, etc., to keep their content top of mind. Graham Media has invested resources in and shown patience with the people and product at 4, and the numbers relfect that.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:57 pm

WDIV has the best product in the market, for sure. WJBK feels like clickbait on TV and WXYZ has never found footing after the final retirements of their greats (Diana Lewis, Robbie Timmons, Jerry Hodak, and their old school reporters).

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:59 am

I was hoping to find a press release with some actual numbers in it. But apparently they didn’t bother to make one.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:08 am

Watching their 11pm tonight it’s still the same overblown bluster it usually is... “we are the only station with two meteorologists in the morning tracking the snow”... well... um... it’s 2 friggin inches. Why in gods name do you need 2 meteorologists? Before somebody jumps on me I know what Paul Gross does but advertising it like there’s the blizzard of the century coming is a bit much. Their reporters are a bit more polished but it still feels a little hyper. 7 is more boring and safe and the reporters aren’t quite as good. Edgy usually beats safe. That’s the difference. 2 is an also ran right now.

fanniemae

Post by fanniemae » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 am

WXYZ seems to have new reporters most of the time I can't get used to or like. A revolving door. The Malcolm Maddox fiasco was poorly handled, probably turned off women viewers and made them mad. WJBK is tolerable at 10 PM. WJBK in the morning is wretched . WDIV has good solid anchors in Rhonda Walker, Karen Drew , Devin, K Gill. They are personable. Likeable can lead into feelings of trust. That is the news game to me. I know all of the people I mentioned can have viewers that don't like them, find faults. The ratings are what get the advertising bucks and pretty much run the business.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:58 am

fanniemae wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 am
WXYZ seems to have new reporters most of the time I can't get used to or like. A revolving door. The Malcolm Maddox fiasco was poorly handled, probably turned off women viewers and made them mad. WJBK is tolerable at 10 PM. WJBK in the morning is wretched . WDIV has good solid anchors in Rhonda Walker, Karen Drew , Devin, K Gill. They are personable. Likeable can lead into feelings of trust. That is the news game to me. I know all of the people I mentioned can have viewers that don't like them, find faults. The ratings are what get the advertising bucks and pretty much run the business.
I agree on your perspective on WXYZ. I think WDIV has some great presenters, they just need better writing for the content, or reporters that actually think about what they are reporting instead of just trying to present observations.

WJBK doesn't really have a morning news at all. They cover some of the pertinent happenings of the day, but their mornings are really just entertainment talk. They could really revamp it with some real news segments interspersed with the entertainment talk, giving it a much more functional and informative format. Their credibility might improve too.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am

km1125 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:58 am
fanniemae wrote:
I agree on your perspective on WXYZ. I think WDIV has some great presenters, they just need better writing for the content, or reporters that actually think about what they are reporting instead of just trying to present observations.

WJBK doesn't really have a morning news at all. They cover some of the pertinent happenings of the day, but their mornings are really just entertainment talk. They could really revamp it with some real news segments interspersed with the entertainment talk, giving it a much more functional and informative format. Their credibility might improve too.
For years on end 2 has had the highest morning ratings in the demos. They’ve no reason to change.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:05 am

fanniemae wrote:
7’s Ratings of late have been up a tad overall mostly at 2’s expense.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:15 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am
For years on end 2 has had the highest morning ratings in the demos. They’ve no reason to change.
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:05 am
No reason? And then in the very next post you post the reason!

You shouldn't wait until someone else takes the lead before you start responding to the threat!!! If THEY are gaining on you then THEY are doing something right that you are not.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:28 pm

km1125 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:15 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am
Rate This wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:05 am
No reason? And then in the very next post you post the reason!

You shouldn't wait until someone else takes the lead before you start responding to the threat!!! If THEY are gaining on you then THEY are doing something right that you are not.
Not talking about the mornings. 7 has gained nothing there and remains in the basement. 2 and 4 are virtually tied. I was talking about evenings as far as 7 going up and 2 going down.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic