Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local on-air pers. in the movies

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
km1125

Local on-air pers. in the movies

Post by km1125 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:45 pm

Was watching a movie called THE DOUBLE, which is a pretty good Richard Gere/Martin Sheen suspense/drama from 2011.

A scene popped up and there is Devin Scillian interviewing one of the characters on the FLASHPOINT set!!

I was surprised. The film is not set in Michigan but mostly the D.C. area. The info on the movie lists Detroit as one of the filming locations, and I'm wondering if it was just that scene or if more was actually shot somewhere around here.

I know there's been a few other local on-air personalities in the SCREAM series, but who else should we be looking for when we're catching up on our list of movies?

Deleted User 14896

Re: Local on-air pers. in the movies

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:41 pm

Bonds had a part as a newscaster in a 1970 episode of It Takes a Thief and as himself in cameos in the 1971 film Escape from the Planet of the Apes and the 1987 film Robocop.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Diana Lewis was a reporter in one of the "Rocky" films, as of this post I don't recall which one....

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 pm

I'm pretty sure it was the first one

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Marty Bufalini (WWJ Traffic) played an attorney in Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino.

Dayna Clark, (WJR)as a reporter in Don't Breathe.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

amehloldiesfan

Post by amehloldiesfan » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:28 pm

Fox 2 seems to be well represented

Jay Towers had a part in Batman v Superman
Amy Andrews, Deena Centofanti have mentioned being in movies filmed locally, possibly as news reporters
Alan Longstreet was in Kid Brother

Tom Force (former WOMC) played a police officer in Street Boss

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:30 pm

Of course, the greatest movie ever about the television news business was actually the biography of Mort Crim.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:03 am

Not local from Detroit, but from Chicago, Larry Lujack from WLS was heard in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

jadednihilist

Post by jadednihilist » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:11 pm

The set of WDIV was used for the purpose of being a local news station in Oklahoma broadcasting severe weather coverage in the flop "Into The Storm." My memory may be failing me, but I think it was Chuck Gaidica tracking the storms on air in that movie.

And of course, Howard Stern played himself in his film, Private Parts back in the 90s.

I'm here for a good, hearty debate, to agree and disagree respectfully, and commiserate on the current state of terrestrial radio.

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:43 am

Arthur Penhallow had a pretty big part as a DJ in The Upside of Anger which starred Kevin Costner.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:48 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Diana Lewis was a reporter in one of the "Rocky" films, as of this post I don't recall which one....
She was working in Philadelphia at the time, so that's how she ended up in the first Rocky. She came to Detroit about a year or two later.

SolidGoldDancers

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 am

Smilovitz was in an 80's movie because of his short lived 12-14 month stint at WCBS. He was on the TV as the scene panned across the room, but I don't recall the film title.

Not only is it odd that his schtick become old quick in NYC, but he did it with two long stints in Detroit. I have no idea why he even bothers with sports any longer, it is just about him acting like a high school freshman, trying to make upper classmen laugh so they don't pants him and shove him into the girl's restroom.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 am

Ernie Harwell was the voice during the World Series broadcast in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:25 am

Saw Bowling For Columbine again recently and there’s a number of Detroit news reporters in part of it where Michael Moore examines news coverage of the shooting. I remember two of the Detroit anchors are Devin Scillian and Ruth Spencer from channel 4. There are others from 2 and 7 reporting outside but I can’t remember their names. I think one is Kim? Been a while. A lot of change overs in The D since that movie came out.

bjmcdevitt

Post by bjmcdevitt » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:48 am

Ernie Harwell, Al Ackerman, and Ray Lane in Tiger Town, a TV movie from Disney

Please look at my signature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic