Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
CK-722

Re: Will WJR Soon Drop Talk For All News?

Post by CK-722 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:00 am

WOHO wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:39 am
Drove thru Saginaw area back in 1989, and my Delco radio cranked out AM Stereo rock tunes from a station up there- audio quality was smokin as were the tunes; it was quite a nice surprise near Frankenmuth.
That was WDLZ-Rock 1330. Colonel Flagg is an expert on this. After "Z-Wreck" (the Colonel's word invention) failed after 15 months, it took 3 1/2 years to come back with regular programming.

The station was Top 40 WTRX from 1960 to 1968, which although usually second to WTAC, like WKNR and WCFL usually were to CKLW and WLS, was legendary. NAB Hall Of Fame member John Records Landecker got his first Top 40 over air (nor carrier current, and he did news on WOIA) gig there in 1966, as Dow Jones. It's in his book, "Records Truly Is My Middle Name". The Jones Boys monikers were the brainchild of Mike Shaw (may have used Mike Ryan on air), who later used it on WGLN 105.5 Sylvania, in his native Toledo Market.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm

I think the late Les Root was a Jones Boy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:55 pm

WJR to All News???

There is absolutely ZERO chance of that occurring.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:15 pm

Wasn't our Z-Rock at 102.7 at least partially local? Or did someone just license the name? It lasted here for about 4 years until it switched The Bear. In it's last year or two it was pretty much Z-Rock in name only, though.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:23 pm

Yes it was. Scott Randall, Ric Elliot and possibly others.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:56 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:55 pm
WJR to All News???

There is absolutely ZERO chance of that occurring.
So, Casper Milquetoast Talk in the short term on WJR. When the ratings reach 0.1, K-Love will buy it.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:34 am

Cumulus tried all news at 810 KGO in San Francisco several years back in an attempt to compete with 740 KCBS.

It was a total flop.

I don't think you understand the financial resources necessary to make an all news radio station work.

You are wrong about Cumulus abandoning conservative talk en masse. Ain't happenin!

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:21 am

Cumulus tried all news at 810 KGO in San Francisco several years back in an attempt to compete with 740 KCBS.

It was a total flop.

I don't think you understand the financial resources necessary to make an all news radio station work.
It would probably have to be a national network for Cumulus for national and world news. And a state network for state news. And a local news staff.
You are wrong about Cumulus abandoning conservative talk en masse. Ain't happenin!
It all depends on what you mean by "en masse". And people aren't going to listen to talk radio with topics censored.

Look, they already replaced the Talk format on WWCK 1570, with a Classic Rock format that you have all trashed on this board. There are probably others and there will be more. Some of the hosts on some local Cumulus stations have indicated that if censorship is happening at a corporate or government level, they will pursue other options.

And look at you, bowing to pressure to censor posts about a certain sportscaster, and ridiculously banning a word for a decade and to this day. Is this how it will roll in the shire?

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:13 pm

It all depends on what you mean by "en masse". And people aren't going to listen to talk radio with topics censored.
How will the listeners know the host has been muzzled unless the host directly says so on the air? There are already topics that are "off limits" for talk radio - especially for squeamish WJR!

Howard Stern wanted to talk about things, use words, etc. on AM/FM radio that he (a) either decided against doing or (b) was prohibited from doing by management. Didn't seem to harm his ratings at all.
Look, they already replaced the Talk format on WWCK 1570, with a Classic Rock format that you have all trashed on this board. There are probably others and there will be more.
WWCK had terrible ratings and 760 WJR (Cumulus owned) delivers a city grade signal to the Flint area. By the way, I was rather complimentary of the new format choice. The new format is classic hits, not classic rock.
...and ridiculously banning a word for a decade and to this day. Is this how it will roll in the shire?
You do realize by banning the word, said sportscaster has drawn increased ire, right?

Will some well known talk radio hosts leave terrestrial radio? Probably! They'll claim they're leaving because they want more freedom - and that's certainly true - but another reason they'll leave is because they realize AM/FM radio is a sinking ship financially.

There is certainly a chance WJR will tone down its conservative talk programming leanings to an extent - not disputing that at all - but they will almost assuredly remain a news/talk station or general interest talk station well into the future. I can assure you Limbaugh will remain part of the station's lineup until he hangs up the headphones for the last time.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:58 pm

I measured the WJR field strength near where the 5 mV/m predicted contour approximately is in Flint. I measured it at about 3 mV/m.

In 48503, near where the CBD and Municipal Offices are located, V-Soft Zip Code shows 5.23 mV/m based on M-3.

In 48505, the North part of Flint, based on M-3 on V-Soft, WJR is 4.62 mV/m.

I'd say that WJR is more of a habit, but Cumulus no longer even subscribes to Neilsen there anyway. I'll tell you for a fact, that people inside the GM plants couldn't receive the 1968 World Series on WJR with most radios. With access to a window and a better transistor radio, it was still noisy. If a Flint AM like WFDF, WTRX, or WKMF had had the Tigers, it would have been easy. Better than 100 mV/m in the center of the 48503 area Days. WJR is easier in homes and in outlying areas.

I did an experiment probably 10 years ago with a radio inside a steel building in 48313. WUFL, with over 100 mV/m outside, predicted and measured with a real FI meter, was the only AM station that was listenable at all. WJR at about 22 mV/m outside was like struggling to hear DX. I was able to improve it slightly with about a 12" X 16" metal picture frame with much fiddling around, using it as a crude loop antenna. WWJ was next to impossible after the "upgrade", even with the loop.
Last edited by CK-722 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:15 pm
Wasn't our Z-Rock at 102.7 at least partially local? Or did someone just license the name? It lasted here for about 4 years until it switched The Bear. In it's last year or two it was pretty much Z-Rock in name only, though.
WDLZ 1330 was apparently largely local, and actually had some responsible adults like the late great GM Ted Johnson and late great CE Don McComb to keep the air staff "grounded".

I never realized it at the time, because I never liked the music, and it was difficult to receive to monitor from my RL, but most of the people have now matured into responsible adults, despite their "Bad Boy" personas.

https://www.jeffholbrook.com/radio-gallery-04.html

Art Van Damme

Post by Art Van Damme » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm

WJR will never switch to all news. Period.
The goal would have to be to surpass/pummel/take-down WWJ.
#2 ranking would not be good enough for WJR to get any agency buys. To succeed, it would take a $ignificant inve$tment in talent and marketing. None of which Cumulus is in position to accomplish successfully.

And really now. Who are you going to attract? People 50 and under? Nope. They’re already gone to other media.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:39 pm

Art Van Damme wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm
WJR will never switch to all news. Period.
The goal would have to be to surpass/pummel/take-down WWJ.
#2 ranking would not be good enough for WJR to get any agency buys. To succeed, it would take a $ignificant inve$tment in talent and marketing. None of which Cumulus is in position to accomplish successfully.

And really now. Who are you going to attract? People 50 and under? Nope. They’re already gone to other media.
While that may hold true for most of the populace, I would definitely be a listener. WWJ, while one of my more listened to stations, is really only digestible in 15-20 minute increments, unless there's breaking news. I can safely say I would be tuning in.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:10 am

WWJ, while one of my more listened to stations, is really only digestible in 15-20 minute increments, unless there's breaking news. I can safely say I would be tuning in.
That's the whole point of an all news format. They don't expect you to listen for an hour or more at a time.

Recent experience shows all news upstarts in markets that already have a heritage all news station sound nowhere nearly as good as the heritage station. FM News 101.9 in NYC, FM News 101.1 in Chicago, and All News 99.1 in Washington are testaments to that. (I was never able to listen to 810 KGO during its brief All News run.)

All News 106.7 in Atlanta sounded good, and there was no incumbent all news station in that market, but that station book after book got slaughtered by news/talk stalwart WSB. Upper 1's in Adults 25-54 (for AQH share) ain't gonna cut it for a format that is so expensive to run.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 am

This whole discussion reminds of the spectacular failure of Mark Scott on WWJ in 1987, which lasted two whole weeks. In that case, a station tried to go from all-news to a mixture of talk and news. Much of the audience didn't like it. Not only was five hours (10 a.m. - 3 p.m.) changed from news to talk, it was done with a very controversial host.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic