Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

94.7 & Dahmer

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
RayQix

94.7 & Dahmer

Post by RayQix » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:49 am

Since I’m work@home, I’m able to have mid day radio on.

Many times it’s 94.7 or 90.9 (classic makes for good background music) and then I is usually flip between the two.

I was doing the now-defunct 89x and 93.9... along with a few others.... but why... oh why.... is Dahmer and his idiotic shenanigans still on?

It’s like nails-on-chalkboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colonel Flagg

Re: 94.7 & Dahmer

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:14 am

Good question. I removed 94.7 from my presets when they fired Steve Kostan. Have not listened since.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:14 am
Good question. I removed 94.7 from my presets when they fired Steve Kostan. Have not listened since.
Here, Flagg. You've been so helpful to me, now let me help you.

*Motley Crue song ends*

"Ninety fourrrr point sevennnnnnn CSX I'm Dave Dahmer with the Thursday afternoon edition of double dumb double dumb criminals. A guy in Florida -- blah blah blah blah blah --- and that's the Thursday afternoon edition of double dumb double dumb criminals"

*Poison song starts*

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:35 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:

*Motley Crue song ends*

"Ninety fourrrr point sevennnnnnn CSX I'm Dave Dahmer with the Thursday afternoon edition of double dumb double dumb criminals. A guy in Florida -- blah blah blah blah blah --- and that's the Thursday afternoon edition of double dumb double dumb criminals"

*Poison song starts*

It may be possibly advantageous for you to update your resume and apply for a job in radio yourself. You seem to be the expert on the subject and everything else for that matter.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:31 pm

Pinhead wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:35 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:54 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:

*Motley Crue song ends*

*Poison song starts*

It may be possibly advantageous for you to update your resume and apply for a job in radio yourself. You seem to be the expert on the subject and everything else for that matter.
Been there, done that. Thanks, though.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15475

Post by Deleted User 15475 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:16 pm

From your statement it appears you were likely denied the position(s) but since you appear to have vast knowledge of everything I figured I would be thoughtful and make a suggestion. This world needs Hamburger assembly persons and Commode engineers as well.

format this

Post by format this » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:35 pm

Pinhead wrote:From your statement it appears you were likely denied the position(s) but since you appear to have vast knowledge of everything I figured I would be thoughtful and make a suggestion. This world needs Hamburger assembly persons and Commode engineers as well.
I know of some hamburger assemblers and commode engineers that are paid much higher than radio staff, so there’s that.

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Deleted User 14896

Post by Deleted User 14896 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:41 pm

Pinhead wrote:
Since you just may be an expert in the field, kindly allow me to ask you:
Would 94.7% of the listeners rather hear music instead of gums flapping on the airwaves? Would Serius and XM got off the ground if the "on air personalities" weren't in love with the sound of their own voice. Is station management Clueless in Seattle thinking most listeners want morning shows instead of just one song after another?

Sometimes I think this defines the problem with radio today. Every station has a morning drive gumfest because every other station has a morning gumfest. Every station has it's "on air personalities" flapping their gums in the breeze because every other station has their people flapping their gums in the breeze. Not one is remotely considering the possibility that folks don't want hear all that hot air anymore. It's such an unconventional thought that all you folks here that are in the industry can't comprehend it.

How many times you see a station with a new format be #1 for awhile. The rollout is just music. Just one song after another. Then they start hiring folks to be on the air. And as the gums start flowing, the ratings start slipping. And a lot of them are dredged up from the 80's and 90's. I know a lot of you on here love that stuff. When a station changes formats, many of you start throwing out names of folks that have been in Detroit radio before W4 went country. It's what y'all want. Guys and gals that want to blab just like they did 40 years ago. Guys and gals that talk over the ramp. Is that truly what today's listener wants to hear?

I think not. I'm not in the industry. I'm just Joe Listener. And just about all of my radio listening is in my car. With a radio with 10 presets. And here's a Blues Clue. As soon as the songs are over, and the gums or ads begin, I'm hitting the preset looking for another tune. And I'd wager more than a few pennies I'm not the only one. You guys do it too, be honest.

I threw this question out a year or so ago:
How many people listen at home or office, and how many listen in a vehicle?
No one knew.
Am I being silly thinking that's something that would be important for someone in the
Industry to know?
How many listeners hit the button when the chatter starts? Although it's a necessary evil, I would definitely want to know those percentages if I was an advertiser. Does anyone here on Buzzboard sit thru 10 spots in a row in their car without hitting the preset?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:17 pm

I never listen to Dahmer when he is on.

Hoping he's gone once his contract expires.

On a positive note, I like the fact Jim Palucci now handles weeknights. I enjoy listening to him.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:17 pm

I remember when Jim was part of 105.1 when they were an AC station. I'm glad they retained him when they flipped to the short-lived sports format.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:49 pm

Mike Oxlong wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:41 pm
Pinhead wrote:
Since you just may be an expert in the field, kindly allow me to ask you:
Would 94.7% of the listeners rather hear music instead of gums flapping on the airwaves? Would Serius and XM got off the ground if the "on air personalities" weren't in love with the sound of their own voice. Is station management Clueless in Seattle thinking most listeners want morning shows instead of just one song after another?

Sometimes I think this defines the problem with radio today. Every station has a morning drive gumfest because every other station has a morning gumfest. Every station has it's "on air personalities" flapping their gums in the breeze because every other station has their people flapping their gums in the breeze. Not one is remotely considering the possibility that folks don't want hear all that hot air anymore. It's such an unconventional thought that all you folks here that are in the industry can't comprehend it.

How many times you see a station with a new format be #1 for awhile. The rollout is just music. Just one song after another. Then they start hiring folks to be on the air. And as the gums start flowing, the ratings start slipping. And a lot of them are dredged up from the 80's and 90's. I know a lot of you on here love that stuff. When a station changes formats, many of you start throwing out names of folks that have been in Detroit radio before W4 went country. It's what y'all want. Guys and gals that want to blab just like they did 40 years ago. Guys and gals that talk over the ramp. Is that truly what today's listener wants to hear?

I think not. I'm not in the industry. I'm just Joe Listener. And just about all of my radio listening is in my car. With a radio with 10 presets. And here's a Blues Clue. As soon as the songs are over, and the gums or ads begin, I'm hitting the preset looking for another tune. And I'd wager more than a few pennies I'm not the only one. You guys do it too, be honest.

I threw this question out a year or so ago:
How many people listen at home or office, and how many listen in a vehicle?
No one knew.
Am I being silly thinking that's something that would be important for someone in the
Industry to know?
How many listeners hit the button when the chatter starts? Although it's a necessary evil, I would definitely want to know those percentages if I was an advertiser. Does anyone here on Buzzboard sit thru 10 spots in a row in their car without hitting the preset?
I’m not in radio and never have been. Had a broadcasting professor talk me out of it by telling me there’s no money in it, shifts are irregular and working weekends and holidays was the norm (this was in the 80’s beforehand voice tracking).

To answer some of your questions above:

I really don’t think, unless it’s incredibly entertaining, that listeners want to hear DJ’s gums flapping in the morning. I’ve had XM since 2003 and only turn it off in my personal vehicles for the Morning After on Z93 in Saginaw as they’re incredibly funny and entertaining. Otherwise, terrestrial radio bores me with repetition and too many commercials.

I’ll give you a case in point. I just got back from the Fort Myers / Naples, FL area for vacation as both my parents and my wife’s mom winter down there. I’ve seen the ratings down there. The classic rock station down there, 94.5 the Arrow, is consistently in the Top 3 in overall ratings and have been in all the time I’ve been going there. THEY HAVE NO DJ’S! I’m sure station management is like - Why mess with success?

No DJ’s on most stations on the original XM was also one of the best (besides no commercials) to listen to them. Unfortunately, Sirius doesn’t have the same philosophy. It kind of pissed me off when they took Turbo off on online only listening, added it to the regular lineup and immediately added DJ’s. The morning chick on Lithium annoys the hell out of me (as bad as CSX’s Dahmer) as she needs to STFU, and is an instant station change.

After listening to no commercials for the past 18 years on the car radio, it annoys the hell out of me to get into my company cars and have to listen to regular radio. I’m changing the station way more than I do with SXM. And don’t get me started with the incredibly narrow playlists of tested safe songs or only the new songs the record labels want pushed. I’ve heard some great new songs on SXM that regular radio won’t play

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:45 pm

Did I miss something ...?

I’m a fan of Jim too.... back when he did afternoon drive on WNIC in 80’s-90’s or before.

Would love to have him move to the 3p+ slot and Dahmer with his antics go overnite or something.

His Schtick is tiring.... and old....

As he likes to say “now you’re smarter than you were 30seconds ago.....

I think I’d be smarter if I didn’t hear him.... period.

Only thing I do like is the “five song” game he has at 3.00. Me and some work folks play along at home.

Aside from that his entertainment value is minimal

G G

Post by G G » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Get Dick out of retirement!

Donald Trump was and is the best president this country has ever had. And he will return to glory as our leader again.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:17 pm

Gotta do something for this afternoon train wreck

static1701

Post by static1701 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 am

I quit listening to CSX when they first brought dahmer on. I emailed them, even filed a complaint with the FCC. CSX got rid of of the talent years ago. Too many other options these days to waste time listing to his mind numbing babble.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic