Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Media Memories of 2020

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
ChrisWL1980

Re: Media Memories of 2020

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:15 pm

Four Twangers actually. Don't forget about 95.9 CJWF. And not a whole lot of twang, if we're honest about the music. Twang would actually be refreshing.

Bell just wants its corporate brands in every market regardless of whether there's demand for it or not. It's no different than CBS demanding clearance for CBS Sports Radio no matter how poorly it does, or iHeart demanding clearance for The Breakfast Club. If not Pure Country, we would've gotten "Move" here. Witness how they flushed heritage brands like QM-FM (Vancouver) down the toilet to make room for "Move." I'm still shocked they didn't do the same at CHUM-FM.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:17 pm

Obviously I forgot about 95.9...... and see what that got me?

I don’t mind some country but I think Detroit/Windsor does not need four of them.

Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:15 pm
Four Twangers actually. Don't forget about 95.9 CJWF. And not a whole lot of twang, if we're honest about the music. Twang would actually be refreshing.

Bell just wants its corporate brands in every market regardless of whether there's demand for it or not. It's no different than CBS demanding clearance for CBS Sports Radio no matter how poorly it does, or iHeart demanding clearance for The Breakfast Club. If not Pure Country, we would've gotten "Move" here. Witness how they flushed heritage brands like QM-FM (Vancouver) down the toilet to make room for "Move." I'm still shocked they didn't do the same at CHUM-FM.
Maybe it's because the CHUM-FM branding has even more heritage than the other stations.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:37 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:55 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

Maybe it's because the CHUM-FM branding has even more heritage than the other stations.
QM-FM has been around even longer than CHUM-FM. That branding was around for 60 years, dating back to the station's beautiful music days. It's also typically at the top of the Vancouver ratings, so this was a classic case of fixing something that wasn't broken. Halifax's (now-former) C100 is another long-runner, though not quite that long (1977).

Of course, we radio geeks are probably the only ones who really care about things like this.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:37 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

QM-FM has been around even longer than CHUM-FM. That branding was around for 60 years, dating back to the station's beautiful music days. It's also typically at the top of the Vancouver ratings, so this was a classic case of fixing something that wasn't broken. Halifax's (now-former) C100 is another long-runner, though not quite that long (1977).

Of course, we radio geeks are probably the only ones who really care about things like this.
Unfortunately, most average listeners don't care about branding, just the music.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:06 pm

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:40 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:37 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:

Unfortunately, most average listeners don't care about branding, just the music.
From my experience, most average listeners simply refer to stations by their frequencies, not call letters or names, so you're correct, as long as the music doesn't change appreciably they won't even notice. CJBX hasn't crashed in popularity since Bell killed the heritage BX-93 heritage in favor of Pure Country 93. Listeners who are aware of branding probably still call it BX-93.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 pm

WHNE's move to VHF 3 being delayed due to a transmitter part being quarantined during delivery from Italy of all places.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:47 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:10 am
MotorCityRadioFreak wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:58 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:57 pm
Well, let me toss this out there.

MW puts the age at 35. Okay, cool. I turned 36 yesterday. I grew up on 89x, 96.3 the Planet, 105dot1 The Edge, Today's Wheels, etc. What did those stations play? Spacehog, Superdrag, NIN, Green Day, Placebo, Offspring, Chili Peppers, Folk Implosion, Refreshments, Jane's Addiction, Soul Coughing, Fuel, blink 182...so why is it when we finally have a chance at something like that, they play rap music aimed at teenagers? God knows we have no shortage of rap stations, urban stations and boomer/butt rock stations...so why is it that those of us who are white males in their mid 30s to mid 40s get screwed? We're radio's last hope. If there is no programming for us, we will continue to stream. And they can fight it out with the other 6 guys playing GNR and worn out Metallica stuff ad naseum. ALT still has time to fill a major void in the market. Or keep competing with 95.5. It's your funeral. We'll just head over to Riff where they're at least trying.
Sadly, they don't care. I'm 37. They only care about Gen X and Gen Y. Millennials continue to get screwed when it comes to radio.
Millennials are Gen Y
Spell check changed it. I had typed they only care about Gen X and Gen Z. Sorry.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic